1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOOD BURNER AND SOFTWARE?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdboss11, Mar 20, 2005.

1. dvdboss11

dvdboss11 Member

I AM GETTING READY TO BUY A SONY DVD BURNER ON EBAY AND WAS WONDERING WHAT MODEL TO GO WITH? I HAVE A 1.7 GIG PROCESSOR WITH 512 MB OF RAM AND A 40 GIG HARD DRIVE? I ALSO WAS WONDERING WHAT SOFTWARE TO USE TO RIP COPY PROTECTED DVDS, AND WHAT TO USE TO BURN AND COMPRESS THEM IF NEEDED AS WELL? IS THERE A PROGRAM THAT DOES IT ALL? I DONT WANNA BURN DUAL LAYER DISCS YET BECAUSE OF THE COST! I WOULD ALSO LIKE THE SOFTWARE TO BE ABLE TO RIP THE NEW TYPE OF ENCRYPTION! THANKS SO MUCH!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Stop yelling at us! No caps, forum rules.

[bold]BUY A SONY CD BURNER ON EBAY[/bold]

I hope you meant dvd burner.

Sony burner on ebay? Newegg.com have some great deals on quality burners like nec/pioneer/benq/sony/plextor/lite-on. Very little shipping fees and good warranties.Get one of these burners in the dual format.

Programs: Dvd shrink / dvd decrypter / and nero are mostly all I use. Some burner will come with an oem version of nero-which i use. Both shrink and decrypter are free.

3. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

most dvd burners you buy now will be dual layer
    anyway, but if not just a few dollars more go on and get it for the future...............
    the disks will go down like everything else in time

what you can do as a NEWBIE is use DVDShrink, and
    DVDDecypter to start off with......un till you get
    the hang of it. they work well together and are
    FREE.

i bought a HP630I from wal-mart some time ago
    for $99.00 now it's $79.00 around here. it's a dual
    layer and all... R- or R+ aswell has worked very well
    for me and with DVDShrink/DVDDecypter...........

well my 2 cents hope we could help.................

4. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

also ANYDVD is a great proggy in combination with DVDShrink/DVDDecypter

ANYDVD is great their usally on top of all new protection the day it comes out or sometimes the day before...

ANYDVD.......DVDShrink(movie only)....DVDDecypter....burn baby burn..........good day..........

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Just as FYI make sure you got enough free space available on that 40 gig hardrive to rip and burn.

6. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

NEC 3520 below $60 on Newegg.com can't be beat! Suberb burner at great price. Read the user reviews, not a single complaint.
    Sony burner on ebay is probably a rebadged Liteon, OK but not as good as the NEC. In my high end Sony Vaio computer there is a Pioneer burner, not a Sony. Does that tell you something about what they think about their own stuff?
    The NEC is one of the best, now at an exceptional price. BTW, would stick to reliable online vendors, not ebay. Newegg does have a good reputation re: returns etc.

7. lurkyloo

lurkyloo Member

I bought a Sony DRX-710UL Double Layer RW Drive at BestBuy. It came with Nero. To copy a protected DVD I run it though DVD Shrink (which I downloaded for free) and then burn with Nero. Now that I found the right Media (with help from the good people here!) my DVDs are coming out great! I'm very happy with the Sony (although I haven't used the double layer feature and have just been burning regular DVD+R.) ScubaPete gave a great step by step for using DVD Shrink with Nero here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105641
    which made it easy for me to then figure out how to do other things (like copying the movie only etc...)

Good luck and happy burning...