1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hardware install issue (DVD burner internal)

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by ncm, Dec 14, 2004.

1. ncm

ncm Member

Hi listfolk,

Ok, I finally got around to installing my new Pioneer 108 DVD burner into the G4 MDD Dual 1.25 (OSX10.3.6) - as a second optical drive. Kept the Superdrive Pioneer 104 that came with the box. Installed as Cable Select, as the older drive's jumpers were set that way. No problems and the drive is recognized by System Profiler.

But one thing confused me: someone on this forum said I needed to remove the front cover. Now I wasn't sure if on the new drive itself or on the burner tray where indeed the 2nd unused slot was blocked by a metal cover which easily came off. I assumed the latter and didn't try to remove the plastic face plate of the burner itself (assuming it *is* removable). Oh and I didn't succeed in replacing the metal sliding back originally closing off the optical drive bay. Dunno if one needs to but with a 2nd drive attached the cables don't neatly fit into the 2nd slot anymore and seem to be too bulky to replace that metal cover. Is this an issue or doesn't it matter? Didn't want to force it, possibly squishing the cables.

Launched Toast which sees the burner but horrible noise ensues when I try to open it to insert a disc. Obviously something is not lining up beyond the mirrored drive door and blocking the cd tray from coming out.. I did push the drive all the way into the bay and it seems to not stick out any more than the original Superdrive. Did replace the screws to keep the drive from moving around in the bay.

So do I need to try and pry off the plastic faceplate (with the eject button etc. from the drive itself or is something else screwed up?

thanks for any insight

ncm

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'd goto http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for instructions and repairs. They always have great articles with pics showing you how to do these kind of upgrades.

3. ncm

ncm Member

thanks for the suggestion. Did that last night and after some rummaging around I found out that yes, with the MDD you need to remove the "drive tray bezel" which I assume is a little piece of plastic on the end of the drive tray. No pics but some rather hazy directions are provided so I'll attempt it.

Stll don't know if I really *need* to replace the back metal cover of the optical drive bay or can forego that.

cheers,

ncm