1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI 1.3

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by HALTRON, Jun 25, 2006.

1. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

Supposedly this is the new format that most manufacturers were waiting for. I have to say this is a surprise to me.

More: http://www.hdmi.com/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

It's also worth noting this is the format that PS3 will adopt.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

yeah... not many electronics have the spec yet but future ones will.It's pretty cool I guess if your really into audio especially.But the higher bandwidth and the other specs seem excititng too.

With the ps3 I'm wondering how much impact it will have since it will be played mostly on tvs that don't have the updated spec.Any info on that?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  3. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

We discussed this in the PS3 forums. Look for my posts in these threads:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/350419
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/4/353560

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

5. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

It will have no impact at all if your equipment does not have the 1.3 spec. However, it is backwards compatible with previous versions of HDMI. You just won't get the full benefit of 1.3's features.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The crazy thing about HDMI 1.3 is that it might not have any effect at all on the quality of picture or sound from HD-DVD or Blu-ray. Since the color space and color depth are already set in the standard(s) those things won't change. Audio options will increase but there won't be any reason to use them!

It has come to my attention that passing a raw digital audio stream to a receiver/proccessor isn't needed and is actually impossible to do with Hd-DVD and Blu-ray players. Ever since these new formats have arrived people (including myself) have been treating the new hardware like the old DVD players. One of the largest arguments against the formats have been that they aren't ready because HDMI 1.3 wasn't ready. Since the discs could contain Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD and theose new audio formats could only be passed via HDMI 1.3, without HDMI 1.3 quality would be lost right?

Wrong. Since everything is transcoded internally within the player(s) to PCM (L-PCM) there is no need to pass anything but PCM to a receiver. If anything else was to be passed then it would require another encoding job before exitting the player. Encoding again could cause some loss in audio quality. The only connections that require extra compression are the S/PDIF connections.

------

The best ways to listen to a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player(s) are...

1) 6 or 8 channel PCM over HDMI.

2) 6 or 8 Channel PCM over Analog Multi-Channel Audio connections.

3) DTS or DD via Digital Coax or Optical, over S/PDIF.

4) 2 Channel PCM (Downmixed) over Stereo audio connections.

In that order!

HDMI 1.3 is huge, but not for HD-DVD and Blu-ray,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006