1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with aspect ratio using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by AdRock925, Jul 19, 2006.

1. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Screenshots aren't necessary, just let me know if you use noise reduction, ghost reduction, edge sharpening, etc. and if those setting made a noticeable difference or not.

Does Ccce get the job done faster?

2. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

TMPGEnc: elapsed time to encode(using ghost reduction, noise reduction, closed GOP, high quality motion search, animation) 5hr 26min. And all black Video(having a problem with my encoder..at first i thought it was just the clipping feature..must have broke it)

CCE: always reliable when you can find the Dongle, full settings as above- elapsed time 3hr 49min-3pass....great looking Video..no blue spots.....always better quality over TMPGenc(my opinion) and I find the user interface just as easy if not more than tmpg.

You got links to any acceptable .jpg images(720x480) to use as menu background.
    Should have one for main menu that would include a good Title/Banner- they all should have some empty space left or right hand side to overlay the Text Buttons (play,Scene Select, Audio Options, etc)
    I'm planning on several menus: Main, Scene Select,Audio Options, Subtitles, Language, Surround

The polish subtitles should be finished downloading this weekend, and I'll have my project done by the following weekend. I think, since this Forum is suppost to be dedicated to the topic of Encoding,
    You should begin another thread in Dvd Authoring...to continue this..b4 we ware out our welcome here...we've covered alot of other topics that's completely OFF ToPic for this forum.

3. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

What's going on with this thread? It says you were the last to post but I see nothing.

4. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

^^^^Nevermind, now I see it^^^^...strange.

5. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I don't have any 720x480 images as of right now, I will create some in photoshop, you may be able to find some on he web (wallpapers). My final DVD is going to be a little more elaborate so it will take a little longer depending on how much time I have to work on it. I have the revised subs just about complete. If you decide you want english subtitles that actually make sense, there's a couple ways we can exchange files.-Do you speak polish or something?

I just finished downloading a decent english version last night. I still have audio conversion/sync to deal with so I'm not sure where it is appropriate to repost or if I should even start a new thread that doesn't really have a beginning point. Really the whole thread should be renamed and moved.

I don't post on forums regularly, so I'll leave this one in your court, if you start a new thread let me know.

6. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

OK F-it I started a new thread in DVD authoring with a question about DVDlabpro I was going to ask you anyway, I'll probably get yelled at for asking such a simple question but what can you do? The title is DVDlabpro question here's a link:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/375803

7. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I don't think anyone will yell at you...it's a forum dedicated to answering DVD authoring questions...and this is what you are doing..actually your question is about an advanced authoring program and the forum covers questions ranging from very simple to complicated. And the answer to that question is yes..you can place transitions or short (movie/video) between your menu. I wanted to ask you a question about those subtitles....how do they "work" I mean are the sync with chapter points in the video or cued by some means with the audio file...other words...what tells the .srt file "when" to appear on screen? and how is changing the framerate of video or replacing the audio track going to affect this sync?

No I only speak/read english....but the Polish subtitles are available..and since I don't really care anyway for/about subs other than the "experience" learning to incorporate them..i decided to go all out and i'll make a dvd with multi-subs...if i had anyother i would really do it up...we can have up to 8 audio/sub streams?

8. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Well from what I understand subtitles (more acurately refered to as subpictures) are a series of bitmap images which include up to 3 (I believe) colors plus an alpha (transparent) channel. This series of bitmap images operate frame by frame just like the video. It is a continuous stream just like a video or audio stream, the only thing "telling" the subtitles when to appear is how many blank frames are in between any two certain texts. Thus, converting between framerates will affect the timing of the subtitles just like it would affect any video/audi stream. These are known subtitle filetypes:
    .srt -SubRip
    .sub -microdvd
    .ssa -substationalpha
    .sup -?
    .smi -SAMI

Note: not all subtitle formats are compatible with all dvd authoring software. This freeware tool is great for quickly converting between most known formats as well as editing subtitles:http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/Subtitle-Edit.shtml

I also have a Ghost in the Shell 2 Subtitle pack that has Jap,Eng,Spa,& Kor subs in different formats, I know your not really in to animation but if you want to give it to somebody else who might enjoy it and want to make it better quality just let me know. I'm pretty psyched about the subs, what I have in mind for the menu, as well as the audio options that will be available, I think this will be better than the commercially available dvd!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  9. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Ok so what i need to know (about subs) is: We started with a 25fps video and converted to 29.97fps...so is there a way to convert the subtitle track to 29.97 as well? can you process it just like the .avi? else we're going to have the subtitles out of sync with the video/audio.

10. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

In subtitleedit there is an easy way to sync. It lets you preview the subs in full working video preview, you will probably definitely need to download this tool.

other subtitle tools:
    subtitle creator
    srt2sup
    VOB subtitle editor

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  11. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

thnks for the link to that program, SubEditFX, I'm thinking it worked sweet on changing the framerate on the english subs...just have to guess on the others...as I don't speak those anyway :)

12. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Your thinking it worked? It should let you preview the movie with the subs. Also, I didn't post a link 2 subeditfx (although I checked it out and it also looks like a good prog.) I posted a link to subtitleedit
    , I mean whatever works but subtitleedit gives you a full video preview so you don't have to guess (or hope).

I'm pissed ImTOO video2audio converter broke my mp4 english version I was going to use for audio, now WMP wont even play it! Have to re-download ARGH!

13. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Yes!, my subs are finally finished. Go here:http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=7290f168 to get yourself a copy, they're all synced up @ 29.97 and ready to go, not to mention they kick ass! Best GITS@ subs in existence. (this shouldn't be against forum rules because they were created by me and uploaded by me - moderators are you listening?)
    I put a decent amount of work into these and I would br honored if you were to include them in yur final dvd, the .srt is just about 50kb in size, and they SHOULD sync with your m2v perfectly.

14. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

very cool...thnk you very much...i'll try them later today. there are many people who would love for you to share this file with 'em...lots of comments over there at Mytorrent about the subs(expecally the "hawK" torrent ) really suxxxxing.

How's those very cool Menu backgounds coming you mentioned you were working on some in Photoshop? I don't think the buttons will work unless you make them in Pro or MenuStudio.

15. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Haven't started them yet, I think I might encounter a minor problem, I might need to know the pixel dimension of ntsc. Well ,just opened a 720x480 ntsc file in Photoshop CS2 it said the pixel dimension was NTSC 0.9...? does this make sense to you?

I think I've convinced myself to put video transitions into the menu screen(s), you said dvd lab pro can do this, do you know how smoothly it does it, is it seemless or kind of jerky?

I should have all my streams ready in the next couple days (just aiting for eng. audio), so then I can really move to the next level.

BTW, those subs I created are meant to be viewed with the japanese audio, they do not match the english script word-for-word. They are less "cheesy" than listening to the english actors and convey the story more fluently than the direct jap 2 eng translated subs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  16. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

yep best to use the Preset in Photoshop CS set for NTSC 16:9 the menu have to be same aspect ratio as the video or DVDlabPro will yell at you for mixing aspect ratio within the SAME Video_TS.

I'm finding more Audio problems as well...I used BeSweet to adjust the framerate from the 25 PAL to 29.97fps NTSC..it all went smooth except when I went back to find out WHY the audio play duration was longer that the Video I noticed the Female Voices are all "squealy" to high pitched distored from "normal" really noticable with that beautiful song at the end...going back to beginning trying something else.

17. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I'm running into odd anomalies myself, luckily audio doesn't appear to be a problem thus far, although my audio tracks are all within a second of eachother and my m2v is about 5 seconds longer than the audio tracks but this will be fixable. I was kind of anticipating the problem you're having with the audio getting compresses after a framerate conversion, have you tried using Premiere or other NLE to do a 2:3 pulldown...wait!?, do you even have to convert the AUDIO? if the lenths are the same it doesn't matter what framerate it's running at, it just needs to be a compatible format (ac4/pcm)...right? after all audio doesn't "run" at a FRAMErate.

luckily I was able to rip my audio from a 29.97 vob. If you can't figure out the problem I'll give you my audio tracks, there are free filehosts that allow up to a gig of storage. I'll look for one tommorrow. I think we're gonna have to attack this thing from all sides to get the bugs worked out.

I found a slight error in the .srt file I made, nothing major just a line I happened to miss, I fixed it so if you want an update download it from here:http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=312a3b68

This may happen a couple more times, I've never seen a set of subtitles with no mistakes in them but I think by the time I'm done with all this, these subs will be damn close to flawless. luckily it's a small text file (fast to download). One of the "anomalies" I was speeking of is that when I play my m2v in WMPC it plays my subs with it! even though they're not muxed together!, and they are MY subs. Good way to preview them but not sure what this means for the future. Remember I have two M2V's one from the MKV and one directly from a VOB the one that plays my subs is from the VOB...hmmmm (keep my fingers crossed).

is your m2v 16:9 or 4:3, all mine are 4:3 720x480

18. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

yes, you have to "time stretch" change the bitrate on the audio to make up for the "repeated/copied" extra frames placed in the GOP in the Pulldown framerate change in the video. This is a classic problem when doing conversions from PAL->NTSC or visa versa. The Video MPEG encoders almost Never "automatically" adjust the audio for you...that's why you are advised to Mux the Mpeg with audio/video and View it on your media player BEFORE importing/demuxing in you DVD authoring program. Yes, technically, the term "framerate" is in-appropate as you said...audio doesn't have "frames" but when you use the term "time-stretch" people with experience with NLE believe they can "click and drag" the audio! Which is just about all BeSweet actually did..because I didn't find the option in the GUI to adjust the pitch/frequency too...that's why the female voices where distorted and sounded like squeels.

As for the .mpv just another .mpeg extention nothing to worry about...works same as .m2a only mine is associated with Animation Shop. The reason for the difference between our "duration" could be just because of different players miscalculation...or your .m2v framerate didn't work? and you still have a 25fps? Have you Imported your files into DVD_LaB_Pro yet...and can post a screenshot?
    The 6 second difference between the audios and the video is consistent if you notice the math from my screen shots..notice also the DTS file is showing 1:35:47 which is real close to the "actual" length. No I wouldn't bother with adding anything to the audio/or video with just a 6 second difference.

you're using 4:3 settings on your video? The source is 16:9 I thought you wanted to keep the aspect ratio? For what reason are you going to have 2 Video_TS(2 movies)?? you know that will require more compression..hence less video quality of the DVD..I could understand if: you wanted a Widescreen & fullscreen Option, or had some "hard subs" you just had to have. Or Like myself going to add the Music Videos-ripped from the DVD!

19. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

The video files are 720x480 but they are still widescreen like letterboxed, but I never specifies letterboxing. the vob was just like that when I ripped it and the m2v from the mkv is the same way....nevermind WMP was lying dvdlabpro says 16:9, I should know not to trust WMP for anything.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  20. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

[​IMG]
    Beautifull if I do say so myself.

Well, now I know not to rely on media players to tell me sh*t.

If you find out what kind of subtitle files DVDLabPro accepts, let me know.

Does the video bitrate seem low for being ripped frm DVD?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006