1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with burning PS2 games with Mac please

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by burty2005, Aug 11, 2005.

1. burty2005

burty2005 Member

Hi All,

Im looking to backup copies of PS2 games and play them using Swap Magic 3.2 for the PS2. I have Toast 6 and an ISO file of the game.

Does anyone have a good method of burning and making sure they work correctly on the PS2?

Thanks,

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i thougth you would just be able to use data mode on that one.. i dont know if anybody else has any input on it

3. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i thougth you would just be able to use data mode on that one.. i dont know if anybody else has any input on it

4. macman123

macman123 Regular member

don't forget to get help in the ps2 sections. any way. to make a back up from the original disc:

1. open toast and select copy.
    2. stick in the original and click burn.
    3. when it is done copying, put in the blank.
    4. done

to burn a iso file, open toast, go to data and select iso 9660. then burn.

last thing sometimes you may need to rebuild a game so it will work with swap, so some games work while some others don't. there is a way fix the game, but not with a mac so untill they do that you can't fix it.

5. burty2005

burty2005 Member

thanks for your help guys,

Will burning just the ISO image work on the ps2 or do I have to create the virtual disc using the ISO and then copy that? or copy the files from the virtual disc - This is where im having trouble and seems to vary with everyone ive asked about it.

6. macman123

macman123 Regular member

open toast and choose copy tab. then select image burn select the iso and burn it. it doesn't matter how u do it, but there is no way to fix a ps2 game, so it will work with swap/

7. noyes

noyes Member

I tried to use toast 7 (and only toast 7)to burn an ISO file, but in the end, I had a message saying "Illegal request", so I can only suppose that something went wrong

8. 3b1r4h

3b1r4h Member

So I have a brand new iMac g5 and i have no problem burning iso files... even god of war was no problem

but the problem is most of the games i DL aren't iso's, but folders containing a bunch of files, and i can't do anything with them for some reason. I try to make an image out of them with toast and then burn them as data at iso 9660, but it tells me that it can't burn cd audio files to a dvd or something. Which it shouldn't be telling me at all.

So, what do I need to take those folders and I guess make them into an image for my ps2 to read??

Thanks.

9. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

your best bet is that those are rar files. check this out..

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/17741

once you get those done.. chances are you will end up with bin cue files... you can check the stickies in the forum on how to do those.. *finally have that done*...

10. lou1978

lou1978 Member

I have Toast 7 and i am wanting to know what i need to do to burn the Xbox ISO properly.
    Any help would be greatly appriecated.

11. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

How do I make Xbox Backups with a Mac?

Xbox-scene.com has a good tutorial on how to do this. It can be found here: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/macosx-backup.php

However, some people have experienced problems with Toast. I have researched and found another mac iso/bin/cue burning program called Firestarter. It is legitimate and it's freeware, so give it a shot if Toast doesn't get the job done (or just messes up) __________________________________________________________________________

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  12. t_a_o

t_a_o Member

When I burn using ISO 9660 in toast titanium 6 it burns the ISO directly on to the disk as one file. Therefore i reccommend you dont use that method!

Unless there is something I'm missung but I doubt it as I have looked at all the settings.

13. loren1231

loren1231 Member

Can you just use disk utillity

14. macman123

macman123 Regular member

ya. u should be able to do that. another thing is that when u have an original copy u can just place it in ur drive then go to "copy disc" and u shouldn't have any problems. i havent atleast.

15. drgonzo

drgonzo Member

I'm having problems burning Scarface. I downloaded it and ran RAR Expander, opened Toast (I'm using Toast Titanium), selected Data & ISO 9660, selected the ISO file and burnt it at 2x. I've burnt it twice so far and both times I keep getting the message "Not a valid PS2 disc" (or something like that) on the Swap Magic screen.
    At first, when I tried to burn, Toast kept telling me I couldn't burn CD audio files. In the window for selecting the ISO I went to Settings and changed the format from CD-ROM XA to CD-ROM and it allowed me to burn.

I'm using a Mac Pro Intel with an external Sony burner, Toast Titanium, Sony DVD-Rs and Swap Magic 3.6. I've burnt other games before, but I haven't burnt anything in about a year so I kind of forgot how to do it.

Thanks for your help.

16. Footie979

Footie979 Member

I'm pretty sure you click on Copy, then click on Image File, then select the ISO file, then burn.

17. drgonzo

drgonzo Member

I just tried that and I'm still getting the "Not a valid PS2 disc" message on the Swap Magic screen. I noticed that after I ran RAR Expander, the iso was named "hy_scarps2.iso.ISO". Would the second .ISO at then end of the file name be affecting it or should I just try redownloading it?

Thanks.

18. Footie979

Footie979 Member

Take out one of the ISOs in the name (might not make a difference but do it anyway). Have you checked around for Swap Magic compatibility with the game you're trying? I know several games didn't work well or at all for with SM.

19. pixiesmw

pixiesmw Member

Did you know that renaming from "iso" extension to "dmg" works (to mount the image on MAC OS)?

Maybe solve your problem with Toast!

20. stucat

stucat Member

hey ho everyone
    URGENT questions, of them I have two.

One, I downloaded a game from a torrent, and burned it no prob, but when I use it on my modded ps2, the playstation logo comes up fine, but then it starts flicking with lines, like an old TV. WHY MUST IT DO THAT!?

Two, I have also download an snes emulator + roms from a torrent, and am curious as to how I will get it to play on my ps2? I've looked and looked, but nobody can give me an accurate answer for the mac.

If any are up for the task of helping me out, it would be MUCH appreciated.