1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B- Updated to the latest firmware of 033

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by elijahjt, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elijahjt

elijahjt Member

Mackdl and Dunker,

Thanks for your assistance re my situation (HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B- updated to the latest firmware of 033).

I apologize for not being clear. I'm not trying to read blank media on my DVD-ROM. I'm trying to look at or burn movies. I was able to do this and then all of a sudden, boom, it quit. I don’t know what happened. I used to insert the DVD into the DVD-ROM and insert blank media into the CD/DVD-RW Drive and be prompted to auto burn, all in one process. Now, I have to do everything from my CD/DVD-RW Drive, in two processes. My DVD-ROM will no longer recognize the DVD movies. I get the message, no disc inserted. Is there something I need to do to my firmware, other than the latest update of 033. I don't know what to do. I have a Sony Vaio and it’s only a year and a half old. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

ejt

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

You could try checking the cables feeding it, perhaps replacing the IDE cable with a nice new 40-pin one, and double-checking the master/slave setting. But if it's connected, getting juice, and set properly, I can only imagine that your Rom drive is toast. One other thing you might want to try is a laser lens cleaner. Some people say they help although I don't see how as I don't see how a cleaner disc is able to reach the lens. In any case, checking the cables and such doesn't cost you anything but with DVD BURNERS going so cheap these days I wouldn't put too much money into it. You can get a NEC 3550a for $20 after rebate from tigerdirect.com, and mwave.com and other places have drives for the low- to mid-$30 neightborhood for normal prices.

You're welcome for the help. Let us know how it turns out.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

4. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.