1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Darc

Darc Member

I have a small problem, i did this softmod a few months ago, and it worked fine, today i played the Forza motorsports demo that came with Jade Empire special edition (original version, not backup) and when i turned off and on my xbox, now it loads to the original Dashboard and backups don't work any more, i checked the files on my HDD and all the softmod stuff is still on there, but it's just not loading to it any more, any idea why?

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

interesting..

which dahsboard do you have? do you have file explorer or any apps in xbox?

List all apps and dashboards on xbox.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  3. Darc

Darc Member

I have the Original Xbox Dashboard, don't really know where i can find the version number, the files that are shown in the save menu are

SID 4 Installer
    SID 4 Splinter Cell PAL
    Auto-Installer Deluxe 3
    DVD-X2 DongleFree DVD-Player
    dvd2xbox
    Enigmah Videomode Switch
    2 different files named MenuX
    Unknown Title (With a Media X Menu Icon)
    Xbox Media Center

there are a few more things but those are save files from my backups.

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

can you load "xbox media center"? Can you ftp?

if you can load XBMC, you are able to read the backup games and play backup games from DVD & HDD.

If you can only load the original dashboard and CAN NOT load any apps, you should reinstall softmod. Something went wrong with the softmod files.

5. Darc

Darc Member

I can't load anything, i found out what happened though, i checked around on other forums, it seems that the Bonus Disc that comes with the Jade Empire Special edition contains a system upgrade, and if it's used with a softmoded console it "upgrades" the custom dashboard to a newer version of the original.

6. Hillis84

Hillis84 Member

my xbox has a code 16. i don't have a desktop pc w/ tower. is there any way to fix my xbox with my laptop?

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Maybe not.

Disconnect the IDE cable from DVD drive on xbox. Then turn xbox on to see if you have error 12. If yes, hotswap will work on your xbox. But you need to PC.

You can try with laptop + usb external enclosure case. I'm dont know if it works.

8. domyue

domyue Member

Hi TheReturn,

Thanks for a great guide. I understand most of it, but have a question about the softmod in the "mhackxbox" file.

1) Is the softmod exactly the same as if I did it with AR+SplinterCell?? 2) Does it install EvoX/UnleashX as well??
    3) What other programs does it include (e.g. media player)??

Thanks so much for your help!!

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

mhackxbox is the complete softmod file. So after you install mhackxbox into your xbox, your xbox is softmodded now. YOu dont need to do anything else.

I think mhack did the softmod with Evox dash or UnleashX. But you can manually install other dashboards, media players and apps.

10. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

i was wondering if i could also add iso images while i was connected to the pc ..... if so what partion would i put them in , and can they be in iso format?

11. hyeclass

hyeclass Member

I heard if you get error 16 on a unmodded xbox it means you cant fix it.... is this true???

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@leeroy94
    The purpose of hotswap is to fix the xbox. But you can't format the hdd. Plus xbox can't read the iso file.

What are you trying to do?

@hyeclass
    no, you can fix error 16.
    First, disconnect the IDE cable from xbox DVD drive. Turn on xbox to see if you get error 12. If Yes, you leave the ide cable disconnected from DVD drive. Turn off xbox and do hotswap.

13. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

well my xbox isnt modded or anything ... i was going to try the hotswap to install the mhack softmod .... are u sayin now that hotswaping is only for the purpose of repairs >? i wanna [play downloaded isos and i want to install xbox media center ... i have 2 xboxes and i dont wanna spend 80 bucks on a mod chip ....

14. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

oh, yeah. the hotswap method can install softmod for your xbox by using mhackxbox file. Then you can install media player and also play backup games from DVDs and HD.

15. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

is there any way i could do this using a laptop???? i dont have a desk top ... any 1 from barrie ontario that could help me /???

16. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I dont think anyone has done hotswap with laptop before. So I dont know if it works or NOT. But you can try. YOu need the usb external enclosure for the 3.5" hdd.

17. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

ok well im gonna buy a pc so i can do it .... i was wonering i hear i can put a bigger hd in the x box .... i have a 500gb one . i was wondering if all i had to do is make 4 partions on the drive then add the soft mod files and then hook it up? if so what are the partition sizes ? or does it have to be a specific hd type?

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

19. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

i need more help!!! ive taken all of the files out of partitions 1-4 and everytime i try to add the files from xhackxbox it says eplorer 360 has encountered a problem and must close !!!! OMG !! ive tryed wit all 6 beta copies ... what should i do !!! help me plz !!!!

20. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

i was using windows xp ultimate by jonny if youve ever heard of it ... i think thats why im having the problem ... im installing xp now and gonna try again but at least my xbox hd is empty so all i will ahave to do is load the mhachxbox ... i hope it works !!!!!! fusk i formated before i backed up the files !!! well i have 3 xboxes i should be good still right?