1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make my own PVR as a computer

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by jam4, May 9, 2004.

1. jam4

jam4 Member

I've thought about purchasing a TiVO or replayTV, but my pet peev is that they charge for monthly service AND you can't output the data for recording onto DVD's. I figure I could make my own computer for the cost of the ready to go Pioneer DVR with DVD's which range from $1200-1800. Has anyone done this with enough advice to get me started? I figure a Radeon all-in-wonder card would be the most expensive piece but I don't want to buy a better card than I need since I don't want advanced gaming capabilities, etc... My other question is that I understand TiVO and replayTV need a separate phone jack connection to get the program listings? With a computer you apparently don't need this, but are the listings available online cohesive with different cable companies in different regions? Lastly, can I build a system that lets me take advantage of HDTV broadcasts when available?

Thanks in advance!

2. gotisos

gotisos Guest

Go for the PC, unless ur going to be recording direct hdtv tivo. This forum is for discussing PVR devices only, tivo, pvr devices, not dvr, you should post in this forum with regards to HTPC hardware: http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/100 maybe we could get a teleport ehm Praetor, or just repost in the above forum.

3. furrydad

furrydad Guest

4. michigan

michigan Guest

5. jam4

jam4 Member

yes this is a double post, as my first post was in the incorrect forum. Someone was kind enough to redirect me. Thanks for the sharp investigative skills, Michigan. It's good to know there are junior members like yourself out there.