1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Does One Convert DivX files to DVD (.vob files)

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Pinochio, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Pinochio

Pinochio Member

I've searched the afterdawn forums and founds loads of information about this topic [How Does One Convert DivX files to DVD (.vob files)] for PCs, but none for Macs. If any one could give some programs to look up, it'd be much appreciated.

2. tdu

tdu Member

I just select "Video --> DVD-Video" (tabs) in Toast. You then drag the Divx files onto the window and hit burn. It takes awhile to convert them but it works. I have done it with TV series before.

I don't do it often because the files quality isn't vey good converting from a lossy format like that to DVD. I ended up just buying the Philips DivX player. It's way easier to burn the divx files onto a data DVD and play them in it. No loss of quality, and it's dirt cheap.

3. Pinochio

Pinochio Member

Thanks for the advice!

4. jchamber7

jchamber7 Member

good point, i bought the the dvp 642 for divx also. verry satisfied

5. thekroon

thekroon Member

You need ffmpegX to do this conversion and much more.
    go to http://homepage.mac.com/major4/index.html
    Read the instruction pages or you will be 100% lost - this tool is incredibly powerful and $15 shareware believe it or not... Good luck.

Here's a brief summary of what it can do:

ffmpegX can read MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DIVX 3, 4, 5, XviD, non-encrypted VOB, Quicktime .mov, DV, WAV, Real Audio, Real Video, H263, H264, PGM, YUV, PPM, AC3, PCM8/16 bits, mulaw/Alaw, WMA-1/2, SUN AU format, MP2, MP3, AAC, 3GP and even more formats, and encode them to DivX, XviD, MOV, DV, 3GP, MP4, MP2, MP3, AAC, AC3, VCD, CVD, SVCD and DVD, with support subtitles in VobSub, SubRip, MicroDVD, SubViewer, Sami, VPlayer, RT, SSA, AQTitle, JACOsub and MPsubt formats, DVD selectable subtitles and subtitle conversion with OCR from VOB image format to SRT or DVD Studio Pro 'Subtitle Editor' format.

ffmpegX includes a bitrate calculator, a video playerand a series of video tools including split, join, fix, compress DVD to 4GB, author many VCD/SVD into one DVD image, convert SRT subtitles to DVD Studio Pro 1.5 format.

When encoding to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 it can also author the video as VCD or K/XVCD (.bin/.cue files for burning with Toast by dropping the .bin into VCD window) or as SVCD, CVD or K/XSVCD (two .img files to be burned in Toast under Multitrack XA window), or as DVD (/DVD/ folder for burning in Toast DVD mode, and .img file for burning in Disk Image app or Toast disk image mode).

6. tdu

tdu Member

ffmpeg can also be very hard to use though for some people (including me). I was giving some simple solutions.