1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good does DVD clone work?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by s_jensen, Sep 25, 2004.

1. s_jensen

s_jensen Guest

I'm thinking about purchasing DVD CLone. Does it do what it claims. Make a precise clone of a production dvd. Or is it a gimmick. What are the pros and cons.
    Thank you

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I love it. If you don't want to buy AnyDVD, you can use DVD Decrypter.

Before you buy, use it. Your able to use the full versions of AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 for 21 days.

Try it, and decide for yourself :)

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there s_jensen, Welcome to aD -

There are 2 CloneDVD's The one mfgd by elby is pretty good. I have it. I have the other one too and to put it nicely, it's crap, not worth a $1.29 (USD) much-less the price they're asking. Both of the CloneDVD's require a second program (proggy) to get rid of the DVD movie's encryption so that they can work.

Then again, there are 2 other programs, easy to use, one that gets rid of the encryption, grabs the files, allows you to edit them (if you wish), compresses them so that they'll fit on a single disc and the second proggy burns it to your blank disc in your DVD writer. The major difference in the last 2 proggys are that they are FREE ! AND, they do as good if not a better job than the ones you pay for, is that Neato or what ?

Yea, I thought you'd say that :) OK, I'll tell you their names, the first is called DVD Shrink and the second is called DVD Decrypter -

Check out this guide (written by a good friend of mine) it's easy to follow, just PRINT IT OUT, and follow along -

Ooohhh yea, the download links for the proggys are there too (remember to bring along zero money so you can pay for it :) Off with you, Grab a favorite DVD and in no time, with today's PC, you'll have your own backup copy -

Don't be impolite and forget to stop back to let me know how you made out, I'd be hurt if you forgot -

Cheers,

Pete

I almost forgot -

Here ya go (it's 1/2 way down the page -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Bye now -

4. s_jensen

s_jensen Guest

Yes I have Shrink and Decrypter, both are get pieces of software. So I can guess which software you prefer. Shrink and Decrypter. right?!
    Well thanks for your opinon Pete, I think that I will stick with shrink and decrypter.

Flip thanks for your input as well.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Actually I prefer CloneDVD2. I also have Shrink and Decrypter.

CloneDVD2 is fast, easy to use and the quality is great. And for 21 days the programs are free.

I have an older RCA player which I used to think didn't play backups. Backups made/burned by Shrink, Decrypter, Rebuilder, Nero & XCopy wouldn't work ... but backups made by CloneDVD2 work.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

s_jesen,

I was under the impression that you were considering a first time purchase -

For FREE DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are the best -

For a purchase I'll go against my Buddy Flip and suggest Nero's recode2 for my first choice Far and away because of all the proggys there are there), DVD2One for my second $$$$ choice because of all it can do and it's ease of operation THEN CloneDVD 2 (by elby). SOMEWHERE IN THERE, I want to recommend AnyDVD (a behind the scenes ripper). Here are the proggys I have and with a few missed exceptions, how I use them.

KEEP YOUR RECIPES SEPARATE -

Keeping each set of programs and their settings separated is very important. Too many choices cause confusion and lead to coasters :-(

With all the tools you have, don’t confuse which order you should use when using which programs.

As a matter of fact, I believe you should print out a recipe for each set of Programs you use for burning - and their separate settings -

ScubaPete's Basic Cooking Recipes

1. DVD Shrink (ver. 3.2) ISO mode + DVD Decrypter ISO write mode (FREE)

2. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + Nero (ver 6. OR ver 5.5)

3. DVD Shrink (ver 3.2) + CopyToDVD

4. AnyDVD or DVD43 + DVD2One + CopyToDVD

5. AnyDVD or DVD43 + CloneDVD2 (elby)

6. AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Recode 2

7. For DVD-5's (FREE)
    DVD Decrypter in the ISO read mode + DVD Decrypter in the ISO write mode

8. For DVD-5’s
    AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Express (copy Disc to Disc)

9. DVD XCopy Xpress (ver. 2.5.1, 3.0 and 3.2.1) + 321 Gone (Pre RF versions)

10. DVD XCopy - Original (ver 1.5.0, 1.5.2) - (Pre RF versions)

11.. DVD Decrypter (File Mode) and DVD Copy 2 (InterVideo) – (Fast)

12. AnyDVD and CloneDVD (.net not elby) (little or no compression, it’s a poor proggy)

Cheers,

Pete

7. s_jensen

s_jensen Guest

Wow, Thanks for taking the time to let me know what is good and bad in the world of burning DVD's. I will take your recipes into great consideration.

All of you at afterdawn are a great bunch of souls. Thank you very much for taking the time to help out. I really appreicate it.
    Steve