1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9 (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Guzzo

Guzzo Member

Hello, I am a newbie on this so probably I'm doing a stupid question. Is it possible to do this procedure on a machine with a sata cd drive and an ide hdd?

2. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

if you can boot from the cd drive then yes.

3. Guzzo

Guzzo Member

Thank you C4N1, I'll give it a try. I guess the primary master setting for the cd drive should be done via bios setup and the ide xbox hd via jumpers right?

Regards,

4. olipeter

olipeter Member

Hey I don't know much about this kind of thing and I have not even modded yet, but I was wondering if I could just install a brand new hard drive using this method. and if so would I have to worry about lock or unlock since I don't plan on ever using xbox live. and also if I could transfer the files for an audio or text exploit while I am doing this.(audio or text because I cant seem to get my hands on one of the games) also since its a new hard drive would I have to hot swap it or could I just format it fully plugged into the computer (power and ribbon cable) and then put it directly into the xbox. and have it run. great tutorial, sorry im a noob.

5. fobico

fobico Member

Hi, you all folks....here is my story.

I have 2 xbox (classics and modded already). one of them does not power on and the other one give an error number 07, so, i decided make one working xbox with those two broken xbox, so i took the hdd from the one that cant power on and moved to the other one that does power on with error 07. now the one with the good hdd that can power on give an error 06, I dont have an eeprom of any of two xboxes, 'cause the first one dont power on and the second one the hdd is broken, so I cant get the eeprom of any, here are my question....

1.- a brand new hdd will need the famous eeprom to enables it to use it in my xbox.?

2.- Or someone knows how to solve this issue

Thanx in advance

P.D. where the eeprom is located in the xbox hdd assumin that there is a file that store all this info ( i never make a backup of any xbox partitions C., E., F., etc)

6. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

here

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

read the eeprom from both of the motherboards. Unlock the hard drive from the old xbox with the eeprom from that board. And lock your hdd with the eeprom from the board you're using. It's pretty straight forward.

7. fobico

fobico Member

That was fast...!!!!

Thnx a lot for that info, I'll try hard to do that reader...is a real solution....I'll let you know....

Thnx again

8. nitz_09

nitz_09 Member

i have the same problem here, everyting went fine until i have to type :xboxhd

then the message is the same then him?? can anybody help, would a picture of the messege help you?

9. nitz_09

nitz_09 Member

i have the same problem here. when i type in :xboxhd i get the same message he has, any idea? would a picture of the message help you?

10. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Way to be specific...twice. Yes post a picture of the error you're talking about and describe it to me. I can't read minds nor do i want to scroll up to see what someone else who already has had help has typed. The more information you give me the better i'm able to help you.

The first 2 posts just didn't cut it so...try again.

11. crazyhrs

crazyhrs Member

First of all thanks Chunkhead and C4RN1 - some excellent posts on here! Followed through the original tutorial and after a couple of false starts - didnt read the steps properly - I managed to get things working!

Also managed to use C4RN1's cheat files to get my Xbox booting to Avalaunch in the same way mentioned in the tutorial!

What I was wondering though - is there a way to use this same method to make XBMC the default dashboard?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

12. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Yeah here's the thread for that

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/376141

Pretty much all you're doing is making the default.xbe that the xbox loads on startup,point to the one located in the dash that you want to launch.
    Example: E:/apps/xbmc

It's pretty straight forward, just make sure to backup all of your files and leave an exploit in your saved games so you have a way back in incase anything goes wrong.

13. crazyhrs

crazyhrs Member

Excellent - thanks for that mate!

Again, apologies for not checking for the other thread first...just new here and still trying to find my way around!

Keep up the good work!

14. bailsssss

bailsssss Member

ok so i cant get the xbox hdd to connect i have tried the puase break and all but all it keeps saying is boot failed. help please?

15. 2stroke99

2stroke99 Member

Hope somebody can help - looks like some superb support on this forum.

I have softmodded my Xbox fine, and am attempting to upgrade the stock HD to a nice 250Gb I have lying around. Used xboxhdm, made the iso and ensured the eprom file was correctly copied, and booted up from the DVD - all fine.

Went through the build of the new drive, including the new F partition and this (eventually) finished.

However on reboot I seem to be unable to lock the the new HD. Using either option 3 (linux unlock) or option 4 (DOS unlock) results in a freeze Loadling isolinux/lockHD etc.

Repeated this with another HD - same issue. Have tried both drives back in the Xbox with the enevitable 05 error (HD not locked)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance y'all!

16. koopa2006

koopa2006 Member

dont know if you looked at the compatible drives but if you didnt that might be useful to look at

17. 2stroke99

2stroke99 Member

Thanks koopa, but went there 1st to check. They are both listed as OK.

18. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

First of all you don't need to waste a dvd on xboxhdm unless you have over 700mb in files. A simple cd-r will do.

Secondly the error locking is probably due to a hardware error. Start up your computer with the drive you want to lock and access the bios. Look for a screen that will allow you to change your hard drive to user.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes i realize this bios is from a stoneage computer. It's easier to use old hardware to work with xbox drives. Most modern computers will have problems.

Anyway change the type to user and then save the bios changes. Restart xboxhdm and see if that solved any problems. Also make sure the hard drive jumper is on master. But make sure to change the jumper back to cable select when you throw it back in the xbox (when you get that far).

If you still have problems give me a breif list of your computer hardware (make/model/processor/ram) and i'll help you solve the problem.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  19. 2stroke99

2stroke99 Member

Thanks C4RN1, it's really useful to see this in pictures. I can now manage to get to the locking stage but find that the drive is frozen. My computer (well the only one I have access to that still has IDE ports) is a Dell and sadly only has two options AUTO and OFF (how very Dell).

I burnt the iso onto DVD as the E: drive on the xbox contained quite a bit - I guess I could have left this out and just ftp'ed them over afterwards, but it boots up OK.

Bar trying to find a stoneage AMD setup, is there anything else you can recommend? Computer is a Dell Dimension 1100: Celeron D 2.8, 512Mb Drive is a Maxtor 250Gb 6Y250P0. I have written down the HDD key and locking password. Photos below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have also tried various hot-swapping techniques to try to fool the Bios to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  20. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

It looks like you're going to have to upgrade your bios to support more options. There's a couple questions you should know the answer to before you do that though.

Looks like your bios is de051 which looks like the most updated bios that's from 2006.

Now you can try to update with the bios listed on the dell website but it probably won't help you.

Their first bios is Version: A00 and it was released 9/30/2005
    Their updated bios is Version: DE051A01 which is obviously what you have.

If i were you i would downgrade my bios to the first version, there's a link below.
    http://support.us.dell.com/support/...eid=R106545&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=137617

If this doesn't work then you'll need to contact dell and provide your service tag. Tell them you want to upgrade to a bios that allows you to swtich your primary master to the user setting.

Here's the link for that
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/chat/hardware_chat?c=us&l=en&s=gen

It looks like this is going to be more of a pain than you thought. If you don't want to mess around with the bios on your computer look on craigslist for a cheap older computer that will do this. I have used a hp with a p3, a old gateway with a p2 and some older p3 computers. Most of them seem to work fine.

Let me know how far you get, and good luck.