1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to read your XBOX's EEPROM and GET the HDD KEY WITHOUT removing the chip Or Modding the XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Unicron1, Jun 24, 2006.

1. lrasania

lrasania Member

well i failed puttin the modchip in and now its just siting on the mother board soldered on. So will that affect the reading?

2. gcurtis79

gcurtis79 Member

I've build this thing twice, quite crudely, and can get what apear to be successfull reads of 3 different eeproms on 3 xboxes, but none of them will load in LIVEINFO and none of them will lock/unlock HD's properly.

I've used the .BIN's with XBOXHDM 1.9 and it will use and lock drives, but can't unlock the originals, and when I install the larger locked ones, I get the error 6 (unable to unlock HD)

I can see the proper serial numbers in each of the .BIN's, but for some reason they don't work...

I've tried several settings in ponyprog, including the 16bit eeprom, and 24xx auto, 2416, 2402, but same nont working error in liveinfo and XBOXHDM

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    -Greg C.

3. Rockerno1

Rockerno1 Member

Ive tried this with the no solder approach

I've had no luck :(... I'm less optimistic that this is gonna work now.

Could someone take a look at my circuit? Im not sure what else to try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are is the cable I'm using to the serial port:

[​IMG]

Anything wrong with it? Any suggestions?

4. Ian_T

Ian_T Member

@rockerno1

Looks to me like a couple of your wires need moving. :)

I've marked on your photo how the breadboard works, as to me it looks like your connections are one hole out from where you meant to put them.

The ones I've marked in blue are connected to each other (only in the vertical row of 5 holes) and the ones I've circled in red are not connected to anything, or each other.

I've also plonked some red lines on an unused bit of the breadboard to show how the connections work - apologies if you already know this as I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs. :) The rows of vertical connections (vertical in your pic) are connected together. The horizontal groups of 5 connections are also connected together.

http://www.abs-zero.com/forumpics/SL380609.jpg (click to see the pic)

Hope this helps. :)

Ian.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  5. Rockerno1

Rockerno1 Member

Thanks Ian mate I made those corrections, still not reading it though.

Also one of the Zeners broke in half when I was moving the wires about so I will have to order a new one... well two since the most expensive thing about it is the postage.

Could anyone confirm that I have read the colour coding right for a 1.6 board?

-------
    |0 - A|
    |0 - 0|
    |0 - 0|
    |C - 0|
    |0 - G|
    |0 - 0|
    |0 - 0|
    -------

A = LPA
    C = LPC
    G = Ground

That is how I connected it for the read.

6. Ian_T

Ian_T Member

If you have any LEDs hanging around, you can put two standard LEDs in series and get acceptably close to the value of the zener. ;) Just remember that the black band on the zener corresponds to the cathode on the LEDs and they have to both be wired in the same direction, i.e. one anode connected to the other's cathode, leaving one lead on each LED to make the connections, one being an anode, the other a cathode, if that makes sense.

I used LEDs instead of both zeners and mine worked first time, but I could have been lucky. :)

Ian.

7. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

daspazz
    I am pretty new on here
    I have a reader,and I havegone through these similar stages.
    this is what I tried.
    1. I read the eeprom from the mother board on a softmodded xbox
    2. I then saved it to my desktop with pony prog as *.bin file under the title EEPROM.BIN
    3. I then switched on a hardmodded xbox with the hdd from the broken xbox in it.
    4. I waited for the drive to unlock and connected it to my primary master on my p.c,then switched my p.c on.
    5. I opened live info and selected the xbox drive and loaded the eeprom file that I got from the motherboard,and saved as bin file to my desktop.
    6. I started up xbox hdm, and got clean dashboard files,and put them in linux/c.
    7. The eeprom that I had loaded in live info and saved to desktop,Ithen put in the eeprom folder in linux/eeprom.
    8. In drive E I put off a soft modded xbox TDATA/UDATA/DASHBOARD.
    There are a few problems that I am getting.
    In the dashboard files in E,there is backup which is bios.bin/disk.bin/and just in caseI cocked the disk up Iput another copy of the eeprom that I had made and swapped it with the eeprom that was also in there.
    9. I then burnt with nero and dissconnected all drives but dvd writer and xbox hdd from p.c,and the xbox one set as master.
    I built the hdd from scratch,still using the powerlead from the xbox,and tried to lock ,but I don't have a floppy drive.
    10. so with the power still connected to hdd from the xbox i put the hdd back into the xbox and locked with config magic.Is that o.k to do?
    I then turned off the xbox and put the hdd back into the knackered on.
    11. but the problem waswhen I turned on the xbox flubber apeared for about 2 secs and then powered off.
    Can anybody help me please???

8. varnull

varnull Guest

I'm sorry.. I have decided to leave this topic in the hands of people who have successfully built and used one of these devices. It's been a long road, but I finally say enough. It feels like another life ago when I proofread and made suggestions about this article, and tidied up the spelling and grammar mistakes. So I leave it now with my old life as I move forward into the new.

Dear Unicron.. I'm so very very sorry I hurt you so much. I thought you knew, but obviously by your reaction to the news you didn't.
    I will always have a special place in my heart for you and I will think of you in years to come as a very special person.
    I didn't know how much I loved you until it all fell apart last night. I hope you can someday forgive me for breaking your heart and move on with your life. The right girl is out there somewhere for you.
    You are a lovely guy, and I would have been proud to be by your side for ever, holding your hand and taking on whatever the world could throw at us. Alas that is not to be.. Remember that I will love you always.. PP

9. joelang16

joelang16 Member

Hey Guys

Ive been at this all week and read all the guides and still have a problem here...this is my sad tale

My xboxhd dies :-(, so I buy a 40gb seagate of the net as a replacement.

As my original HD is dead I bought an eeprom reader off ebay and got my eeprom from the xbox. All is good!

So I download mik3's fresh ms dashboard files and xboxhdm, I then create a restor disk with the dash files and the eeprom. I then create a new HD with the download ms dash files, all goes well here..then I lock the drive..again success!

I then go to install the drive in the xbox, error code 16, no microsoft logo and no games will boot at all.

So I decided to retrace my steps and do it all over agin which I have now done about 20 times, still I get error 16. I then tried some other dashboard files with no joy error 16 all the way.

This is my C drive contents
    Audio
    fonts
    xboxdashdata.185ead00
    xodash
    XBox Book.xtf
    Xbox.xtf
    xboxdash.xbe

E drive has

CACHE
    TDATA
    UDATA

Obiviously the xbox cant find the dashboard to set the clock, but the question is why?, Ive tried multiple dash files (which other people have used succesfully), have the correct folder setup etc why wont this work???

Unicron my master can help solve this?, Im going to break down into tears very soon if i cant get this to work!

FYI NO MOD CHIP of any sort installed

10. wwwyzzerd

wwwyzzerd Member

i have this problem with one of my 1.6 xboxs, except it was error 21 every single time, very annoying, anyways i did tons of searching on the internet and never found a solution, then i found out that it might be the online update file, doesnt make sense why that would be it, anyways, it still didnt work for me when i got the file, just some thought for you

also might want to check that you are installing the latest dash

11. joelang16

joelang16 Member

Im using dashboard 5960, xbox is a v1.1

I must be the only person in the world with this issue on a 1.1, I do know that the v1.6s are a pain in the £$%% to mod, or so Ive read.

I going to rip another hard disk out of a space pc and try that one t2m, hopefully it locks!

Thats another thing the first xboxs were shipped with seagates ST310212A, so I bought one this week...and gues what...dosent support ata locking wtf?????

12. Guppy1

Guppy1 Member

I am not certain but I would remove the two .xtf files in the C drive and then there should be NOTHING in the E drive. If this does not work, try the same with a different dashboard file.

13. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Joe please start a new thread here and i'll help you figure this out. It's more of a software issue than anything and shouldn't take the focus off this thread. I have a couple ways to fix this annoying problem once and for all.

14. Rseven

Rseven Member

Hi There,

First at all I post my question in here because you guys already talk about EPROM programming...

I am new to the forum and I got a prob with my 360. I was suffering to get the RODD but I fix it, now my mainboard EPROM is corrupt. That guys in shop how repair those consoles mean he have to re-program the EPROM ect..., and it would cost me 150bucks...,is there are other way to do it myself cheaper?, because my 360 is already dead so no big deal if I screw up it up completely .

Thank in advanced.

15. chretty

chretty Member

Well
    I have built this fantastic device and must say if you follow the instructions to the letter it works.
    That beeing said here are some notes.
    1.hit read right as it boots
    2. after a good read make shure you save it as a eeprom.bin
    3. i have found some computers will not like this so if you are getting "no drive avail"when trying to unlock or "drive frozen "when trying to lock then most likely its not your read or the disc you made.
    4.Use the data file that are referenced earlier in thiis forum ,it will put on xmbc.
    (from there you can use sid to install whatever softmod you want from the installer.

I origionally made this to repair my grandkids xbox that had a modchip installed and they lost the switch.Their father tryed to bypass the switch and fried the modchip.
    He hadent backed up the origional eeprom and has since left the family so in my search o found this thread and said OF COARSE.

needless to say they are very happy and now the local game shop has asked me to repair 3 of their boxes.
    After the first repair for the kids i put this unit in a nice enclosier and atatched pogo pins and alligator clip for the ground.
    Thanks again for this

p.s.
    What other projects can i use this device for? XD

16. gcurtis79

gcurtis79 Member

I finally got it, but I had to use the old version of Ponyrog, PP 2000 would not read a true eeprom.

I used the old one and checked it in 'LiveInfo.exe' and all worked out well.

I've used it to repair 9 xboxes that had failed stock HD's.

17. dickalan

dickalan Member

What's Up guys?
    Ok first i would like to say despite many of the opinions shared this is not a great tutorial. I do appreciate unicorns attempt to have this make sense to me. But i'm sorry it just doesn't. I have theory that when people become more and more educated they become more and more specialized in what they do. Those people usually have a hard time conveying ideas to the general population. AKA they're not good at dumbing it down to my level.

This is what i don't get! Unlike most tutorials this one just says here are the parts, now make the parts look like this confusing picture.

A step by step process would be nice and wouldn't even require that much more effort. -if i ever figure this out I vow to make this happen for others.

Ok so now that i've complained a bunch I'm going to ask for some help! :)

I went out and bought all the materials at radio shack. It's sitting on my table right now still in the packaging. I've opened the solder gun and practiced on some speaker wire. And now what?
    What is the blue wire wrap for? That doesn't look like the wire in his picture. If it's different what kind of wire should i use?
    Any way this list goes on. Please help me with step 1 of this process.

I apologize if i sound a little frustrated please forgive me

18. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

mmmmm... not the best start to ask for help ;-)

but, look at this link
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/661897
    don't botter with the colors of the wire, just lay it out as in that picture. and solder it.

i'm not sure which materials you bought, but you need some wire (i stripped an old usb cable for its wire, it has 4 colors so that was a plus). you can also use speaker cable (it is thin enough) etc. etc. do go out and buy a com/serial port connector, don't use gender change stuff and so on. that will only complicate things. go out and buy a com/serial connector that fits into your com/serial port of your computer. layout the wires and solder them (solder the wires into the com connector, which will make life easier). all the other 'key solder point' can also be connected by just wrapping some wire around the connecting joints so they make contact. if it works, you can solder them later if you like.

what i did, bought a serial=com connector. soldered the 4 (colored stripped usb) wires to points 4, 5, 7 and 8 of the com connector. then i layed out the diode and resistors. i at first did not solder the 'key solder points', just wrapped the metal legs of the zenor and resistors around each other and also wrapped the wires that go in and out from the joints together. tested it on my xbox, got the eeprom.bin and then i soldered it up. i did not use a pcb board, i just soldered the wires and so on together. then i put the whole construction onto a cd case and taped it on. my eeprom reader looks like crap, but trust me it is easy to make. just tripple check if you laid down the wires and diode and resistors out correctly!

btw. be carefull with soldering the zenor diode, that IS heat sensitive. the resistors are not that heat sensitive.

19. chretty

chretty Member

You have remember that most that will atempt this have an advanced understanding of electronics.And most will look down on anyone that doesnt have an electronics background trying this.
    Sometimes people tend to make things harder that they really are,
    first of all the blue wire wrap is just a suggestion not apsoutly required.(I used wire from an old cdrom audio cable.)
    cut all your wires strip back about 1/8 inch off the ends.
    Tin the bare wire you stripped by heating up the wire with the soldering iron and coating with the solder(no globs)
    **sorry trying to dumb down**
    after all your wires are tinned then you can start attatching the wire to the 9 pin D connector.(do it the same way you did with the speaker)
    Then attatch the wire to your board the same way , making shure it is the exact same way as the picture in the first post(including the diods(take note of the direction they are placed ,that is important)
    If you purchaced the exact parts from radio shack (I used:1 PAK 3.9K ohm Catalog #: 271-1123 Instead of trying to combine some other value)then you should be able to put this togeather in under an hour taking your time .

Im taking that this is your first project of this caliper so be verrrrry careful triple check your connections before you hook this up to your xbox and power it up.(the picture of the pads is with the back of the xbox pointing to you)

20. dickalan

dickalan Member

Cool thanks guys that helps! My xbox doesn't have openings like that picture shows so i can't just stick the wires on the board. Do i solder that or what??