1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Softmod Correctly

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chunkhead, Sep 7, 2007.

1. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

allright a question for the soft modders

i'm trying to softmod using the splinter cell game (pal) and gamesave. that part works fine, i create a backup of eeprom and ms dash (the softmod tells me that i have a pal system!!) and then i install the softmod (dual boot PAL!!) and after it is done (use unleash) i always get a black and white screen on my tv (meaning that the dashboard isn't in colors but in black and white). the ms dashboard (using the eject button) is in color

so after softmodding where i choose for pal using the pal splinter cell gamesave and pal game (on a pal xbox) (since i live in europe and it is all pal), i get a softmod with the ntsc system. whatever i choose (pal or ntsc, single or dual boot) i always end up with a ntsc softmod which my old tv cannot handle (hence no color, only black and white). the ms dash is fine, that is in color. after such a softmod, if i reload the sid 4 installer, it says that it has ntsc video

i cannot remember ever having this problem, but some time ago i erased my memcard. i just reloaded it with the sid 4 and sc pal savegame (which i downloaded from the xbox download section on this website). from then on i just noticed it, whatever i choose, it is always ntsc. if after a softmod i run the sid again, the system tells me that it is no longer pal (which it tells me if i softmod a virgin xbox the first time) but it is a ntsc.

this is off course the problem, the softmod install the system as a ntsc. no matter what i choose. who knows what i'm doing wrong.

i always end up taking the harddrive out, using xboxhdm to rebuild the harddrive using the c4rn1 cheater files (have been using them for years). with those files, no problems at all!!!

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

If you're definitely using PAL Splinter Cell files that doesn't make sense. However surely all you need to do is install/use the Enigmah Video Switcher and switch between PAL/NTSC.
    Most of my TV's are NTSC capable but one TV isn't. That TV did end up with a black and white softmod once but i don't recall trying to find out why. I just put up with it for a while then eventually softmodded it again (as i had a newer version of XBMC to roll out across all my xboxes and i was being lazy;back then i used to use Auto Installer Deluxe for installs) and the 'problem' went away.

So long story short try using Enigmah.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

thanks... enigmah it shall be.

4. Priox

Priox Member

I've got a question maybe someone can help me with. I recently softmodded two Xbox's using this tutorial. The first worked perfectly. The second keeps booting to the MS dashboard clock-set screen every time I power it up. I used the Dual-Boot install (where the power button boots UnleashX and the disc button boots the MS dashboard). Once it boots this way I can get to the UnleashX dash by pressing the software reboot combo (back + black + L trigger + R trigger). Also, after leaving the first modded Xbox unplugged for a long period of time it began to do the same thing. What causes this and how can I fix it?

5. creaky

6. MegaJimbo

MegaJimbo Member

chunkhead.....You are the Baron of Xbox softmod tutorials....

Thank-You! Really appreciated your straight forward info on this, must have looked for about 2-3 hours for a good tutorial...

Got it all working...turned the DVD Player Kit into a USB slot

and to confirm - ASTONE 1GB 80X, USB stick, Did not work
    Lexar Firefly 2GB, Did not work

Cruzer Micro 128MB Box worked a charm

Thanks again buddy
    Jimmy

7. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

Could somebody please tell me how to get it from black and white?

I did everything right but it keeps going black and white when the unleashx dash loads up.

Any help would be great :)

Thanks

8. creaky

I can't find the thread i normally use to answer this but see here in the meantime ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/557450/3558352
    You can switch between NTSC and PAL by installing the Enigmah video switcher but if that doesn't solve it i'm pretty sure it's down to choosing the correct TV type when you install the softmod. I used to have this issue on the one xbox (connected to a non-NTSC capable TV) and i think i solved it by just softmodding again, but picking the correct TV type.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

Cheers for that mate I will give it a try :)

Anyway I can get it on my xbox with out a disk? I just noticed I don't have any blank DVD-R left lol

10. creaky

11. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

I found that link is dead mate so got it from else where mate.

It's a ISO file would that make a difference?

Also any heads up how I can use the ftp? Just downloaded filezilla.

Thanks again :)

12. creaky

Filezilla is great, i don't use that FlashFXP rubbish that's in half the guides.
    As to the ISO, just download an ISO extractor to get at the contents

13. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

How would I use the ftp mate?

I'm new to all this softmodding stuff so don't really have any idea lol

14. creaky

Easier than me explaining, just found this on the net ~

[​IMG]

15. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

Cheers I know how to use FTP mate but I meant what settings would I use to transfer onto xbox?

16. creaky

I don't follow. Just point Filezilla towards the directory containing Enigmah, you can create the relevant directory on the xbox on the right hand of Filezilla then tell it to copy the files over..

17. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

But how can I get it to connect to my xbox thats what I mean mate.

18. creaky

I still don't follow. You must be softmodded already, as you're talking about UnleashX (my point is that you can't ftp to an unmodded xbox). If you haven't got an IP address setup on the xbox i'll leave that to you. It's dead easy but it's all in Chunkhead's many tutorials :)
    I personally have all my xboxes on DHCP as my routers are setup with Static DHCP leases ie each device always gets the same IP address.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  19. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

The FTP won't connect to the xbox but I think it's cause I'm using a dongle and not wireless or ethernet cables.

I will try it when I get my modem back tomorrow and can set my router up again.

Thanks

20. ohwell88

ohwell88 Member

ok i transferred all my files into the E folder on my ftp and when i run default.xbe nothing happens...i'm trying to install the enigma video switcher