1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Softmod Correctly

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chunkhead, Sep 7, 2007.

1. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

I'd try a different exploit if i were you. It sounds like your exploits aren't loading the right dash or something. All you are doing when you load a exploit is loading the default.xbe file inside the game save. Now if you are missing something from that file it will hang and give you a code. Error 21 is usually something simple, like if you recently deleted something then that's your problem. If i were you i would wipe out all your exploits on the ms dash and then reload them.

One more thing, make sure you copy that other file in SID. Splinter cell uses the 5553000c folder in udata, and sid uses the 21585554 folder. You want to make sure when u copy over the exploit that you copy the installer folder over too. I'm just guessing here but when you load the default.xbe in the splinter cell folder it actually redirects it to the 21585554 folder that has the actual files for the exploit.

anyway good luck, let us know how it turns out

2. Carpiquet

Carpiquet Member

Hey, thanks for the response. I've tried deleting and recopying the installer and game save files a number of times for all 3 versions of SID that I used. I also tried downloading them from different sources in case the downloads were corrupted. Nothing seems to work. The only problems I can think of are either my hard drive is screwed up or the memory card I'm using corrupts the files during transfer. It's an action replay one which other people have said they've used though.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  3. slimmy

slimmy Member

Really great tutorial!

4. NateX

NateX Member

Did you read through this entire thread - some others have reported running into the same issues. You might also try a USB key, but the AR should work (I even used a GameShark w/the AR software and it worked OK). Suppose it's possible it could be corrupting the files. After I ran the exploit and installer I would just get a black screen on boot, like the mod wasn't 100%. Since it at least performed in the install I used xboxhd to rebuild (hotswap) the HDD and instead of rebuilding the C with the original Xbox files I replaced it with a modded C using C4RN1's Cheater C and it worked great.

Check out Chunkhead's troubleshooting guide and you could also buy a larger HDD and try the hotswap mod - do plenty of research first, though.

5. quickie

quickie Member

great tutorial and very nice pics. Ima Xbox nubie and have a question. what if i want to backup and play other games like Halo or Bad Company. is the process the same, or can only those 3 games be backed up and played? (sorry for the stupid question)...

6. quickie

quickie Member

great tutorial and very nice pics. Ima Xbox nubie and have a question. what if i want to backup and play other games like Halo or Bad Company. is the process the same, or can only those 3 games be backed up and played? (sorry for the stupid question)...

7. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Eh i'll answer this one even though i'm drunk..

You can backup any game using dvd2xbox it really doesn't matter which game.

Those three games have saves written for them called exploits. The exploits contain a modified default.xbe file that redirects the save to modded homebrew software such as evo X. This is to fool the xbox to think that it's a game save and not homebrew software.

There are some games that require a patch to play the backup that is ripped to your hard drive. These are easy to obtain online.

If you have any more questions let us know.

8. NateX

NateX Member

Good response for being drunk! :)

Open the tray, drop in a game disc and your XB will boot to the MS dash/run the game as normal. If you want to rip 'em to the HDD then that's been answered.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  9. Alilep17

Alilep17 Member

Ok,I am a newbie here.I found your tutorial the best one out there.But,I have a question...I have these things:

-an xbox
    -a 32 bit memory card (non original)
    -splinter cell platinum edition
    -downloaded the files I think i'm gonna need (action replay sofware,aid 4.10,evolutionx,flashfxp,liveinfo beta3,ms dash,sid 4.0,unleashx,xbox hdm v1.9)

Now I am not sure if I am missing anything???And a small question...what is action replay?I know that this is stupid but I never heard of it before...pretty new to the xbox scene...i'm a good ole nintendo fan,LOL!

10. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Wow you sound more prepared than most of the people who post in this thread.

Action replay is just a way to get your game save (exploit) from your computer to your xbox. Action replay comes with a cord that lets you plug in the memory card so you can transfer files. Do you have this cord or did you make any other device that can connect to the computer. That looks like the only thing you're missing.

Splinter cell platium hits probably won't work, you might as well try it through. I know for most of the exploits you need the original edition.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, makes a refreshing change.

Platinum hits is fine as far as i'm aware, it's only the sequels of Splinter Cell that definitely won't work

12. Alilep17

Alilep17 Member

Thank you for the comments.The reason for this is because I have READ,READ and READ somemore before attempting anything,LOL!

Hmmm,seems the only thing I am actually missing then is that action replay cord.Is there somewhere where I can get one?I have read the homebrew guides but I am not electricaly endowed to be able to make my own,sorry.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

13. creaky

again, nice one, it doesn't happen very often. I myself am still somewhat of an xbox noob, i only starting out in around November, i read most of Chunkhead's tutorials and i was (almost) set; a bit (well a lot) of trial and error and i was sorted.

there's a USB method but your reply suggests you're not up to making your own cable. Not a problem, i'm just the same. The Action Replay kits are quite cheap and fleabay or game shops always have them in quite cheaply.

14. Alilep17

Alilep17 Member

Thanks.By game shops do you mean like ebgames,best buy etc?We have alot of pawn shops in our area but i'm a little afraid to use those as I know lots of people that got screwed with purchases and thier warrenties for the used stuff is next to ziltch!Will check out fleabay and go from there.Thanks again for the info creaky.

15. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

There's also another way, if you know someone with a modded xbox you can easily transfer your saves on a card that way. I've actually went to blockbuster and bought a card for like 2 dollars and sent it in the mail with a gamesave (exploit) to someone on here. I personally have never made a usb to xbox cord or used action replay, i've loaded it to troubleshoot problems for other people but never used it. So just letting you know there is another option.

16. creaky

Good point well made, i didn't think of that.

17. flainj

flainj Member

Quick question, I have modded my xbox and have had everything working smoothly. However today when I powered up my box, the clock continues to ask me to set the date. This has now prevented me from booting up unleashed x. Is there anyway I can get around this?

18. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

19. slimmy

slimmy Member

Great thread, I followed all of the instructions and it works perfectly!

20. dbone1026

dbone1026 Member

I am debating now whether I should go ahead and softmod my XBox360. I have a lot of movies on my PC that I would either stream to the Xbox or transfer to the Xbox HDD and play from there. I just had a couple of quick questions:

1) From reading around, it appears the softmod would allow for VOB files to play, which would be great. After the softmod, will the Xbox know to play all the VOB files that make up a movie in a dvd folder, or do you have to play each VOB separately (assuming lets say that 5 vobs make up 1 movie)
    2). I back up my Blu Ray/HD DVD movies, creating MKVs (1080p h264). I read on Wikipedia that this file would not play under the softmod, am I interpreting this correctly (below is the text from Wiki):

Thanks