1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to split DVD into two

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by ganguly, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ganguly

ganguly Member

HEy everyone,

Im posting this thread, becuase I have a few questions. What is the maximum amount of GB's that Toast will Burn a DVD with? My disc says 4.7 GB, but I was advised not to burn if it's over 4.3, Why?. Also, is there a way to double side a DVD? My last question is, is there anyway to cut a DVD into two without buying any software? throught mac the ripper or toast or someother program? I'm trying to burn a movie with 6.7GB so any help on how to cut the DVD into two discs, without buying Compressors, and splitting it into two would be greatly appreciated.

2. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

If you want to split the movie without menus try dvdshrink,using the start/stop function under movie only. If you want it with full menus try ifoedit, more complicated to use but will work. Look for guides on how to use them. It took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable with ifoedit but it works great. I just watched T3 last night that I split using ifoedit.
    If your not wanting to split the movie
    DVDshrink is the best for cutting out unwanted parts but if it is a new movie it may have to be compressed some. Hope this is of some help
    Both programs are on this website and are free.
    As far as burning only 4.3GB (I set my at 4.35GB)You don't want to burn out to the edge of disc that make cause read errors during playback. I have had goodluck with Maxell media Stay away from Memorex,alot of coasters.
    Using both side of disc: Double sided DVD burner drives are a little too high for me right now and I don't feel the need since most of my movies will fit on one side anyway.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  3. kadelman

kadelman Member

this ifoedit sounds pretty good. i can only find it in windows versions tho, and it doesn't seem to be on version tracker. did you mistakenly suggest this in the mac forum or is there a mac version out there? thanks!

karen

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

dvdshrink and ifoedit are both peecee apps. Sometimes a peecee users accidentally finds his way into the mac forum and posts...

Check here for a way to TRY to split without additional software: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125996

No guarantees though!

The best current app for splitting or compressing is dvd2onex. With the chapter/layer selection splitting the disc is easy.

FYI: because of the formatting of the dvd, the total capacity is 4.7gb but the useable capacity is 4.3.

5. kadelman

kadelman Member

Thanks a bunch mediaguru ... yeah I've read your guide like ten times :) i'm currently just thinking about ways to compress that might not include me actually BUYING a program (i've had such sour luck with programs lately - except mac the ripper). i'm gonna grab some rewritables from a friend and test out the trial, but it seems kinda silly that i only get thirty minutes when what i'm concerned about is making sure the whole thing's on there. I've been trying out the split method you talked about on the guide and i've figured out pretty well which files are which, but unfortunately, an overwhelming amount of the time my main features with as few other things as possible are still over 4.3. another problem i was having is that there are subtitles and things encoded where i can't tell where they are in the .VOB files in the very beginning (like for the menus and stuff). basically, i just need to keep trying, i only got my powerbook two weeks ago :) thanks!

karen

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

There is one other way you could try to squeeze the file onto one dvd-r. It would take a LOOOONNNNGGG time.

You would basically rip/convert the dvd to quicktime. Then use quicktime pro or some other program to recompress back to m2v. (MPEG2). Then you could use toast or sizzle to format the dvd again.

Depending on the speed of your computer, this would take quite a while.

7. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

Sorry to Ganguly and Kadelman, I didn't realize I was in a mac forum.
    If you do like to burn movies I would probably look into getting a inexpensive PC. There seems to be a lot more programs for the PC on this. I am only running on a DELL 800mhz and I have no problems burnning movies and I love the programs I have found on this website for my system.
    Again, sorry for the confusion.

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

No problem man. I think most mac users would prefer to use their machines though.

You know the ads here are getting pretty rediculous. Now they're in the posts.

I may bail from this site if it gets any worse.

9. nkaryb

nkaryb Member

I agree with you MediaGuru. I don't care for the ads either.

One thing though, IF you do leave, please leave a posting on the site you might show up. There are quite a few out there.

I know I speak for most everyone here when I say we really do appreciate all of your patience and help.