1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to unlock v188?

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by reamu, May 4, 2005.

1. reamu

reamu Member

Hello, All

Great forum. I'm having trouble unlocking a v188. I've tried using the Motorola_Unlocker from thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/157981 but after clicking on "Connect RFON..." and clicking "Yes", it says, "RFone not found :-("

I have the cable attached and the system see the phone as it tries to install Windows drivers, to which I click on "Cancel".

Could this be a driver issue and if so, where can I get the drivers for this phone?

Thanks in advance!

2. reamu

reamu Member

(All I really wanna do is transfer some ringtones I've made onto the phone. Maybe I don't need to unlock to do that?)

3. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

No you don't you need moble phone tools to do that

4. reamu

reamu Member

Thanks, tonyrep

Maybe you can answer this question. I'm either missing a step or not doing this in the correct order:

I've installed mobile Phone Tools 1.23c (and didn't bring up the program and reboot after installing it as per the instructions in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/122174), then installed mobile Phone Tools 2.21b and rebooted. After rebooting, I inserted the USB cable into my phone and Windows tried to install it's own drivers but there's nothing compatible so I just cancel that operation (I've been through it a few times and it's never any help.)

Next, I bring up MPT 2.21b but it says at the very top of the Installing Mobile Tools wizard (you know, where it asks how you're connecting your phone to the computer; USB Cable, Bluetooth, etc.): "Please make sure your phone is not locked."

My question is, don't I have to first install the drivers for this phone in order for my computer to SEE the phone so that I may unlock it? And if that's true, where can I get drivers for a v188? I've done a search on this site for "v188" but it comes back with zero hits.

Also, can I unlock it without first installing the drivers? Or can I install the drivers without first unlocking it? LOL! It's a perfect catch-22.

I read somewhere here that MPT would have the necessary drivers for the phone but since MPT says that I need to unlock the phone first, I can't install the necessary drivers, right? Arrgggh!

I've followed nearly every link on the above listed thread and read the "getting started with Motorola" links, e.g., http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/172799 and the stuff on howardforums but never saw a step by step that would help me resolve this issue.

Can anyone please make sense this?

5. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

you need to unplug your phone and then start the program . wait till it ask you to connect it, then it should install

6. reamu

reamu Member

Thanks again, tonyrep. Yes, I did that (a few times.)

I just got off the phone with Motorola support and everything's working fine now. I was on the right track yesterday by bringing up the MPT 2.21b and going to "Menu/Setup/Live Update" but after it installed the updates and I ran the program, I got a Windows error right away saying something about a dll that was corrupted or something, so I thought that that avenue would not work. I was wrong! Tech supp said that their servers are often overloaded with people getting updates and some of the files may arrive corrupted. That looks like what happened to me and I just redownloaded. Sheesh. I was so close.

Also, the "make sure your phone is not locked" message I posted earlier was just the internal lock code that everyone should put on their phones in case they're lost or stolen; it didn't have anything to do with the type of unlocking that most everyone talks about in these forums.

Anyways, all's up and running smoothly now. Thanks for all your help.

If anyone's interested, here is Motorola's tech. supp. #: 800-331-6456

7. chillone

chillone Member

This is how its gonna work.....after installing MPT start application then let it run through (do not connect your phone) then go to menu on the programs "Cell Phone" and choose live update to get latest updates to accomidate your model of phone then reboot computer, restart MPT then connect usb to phone(with power on) then plug into computer. It will start to initialize to configure with your v188 then it all down hill after that. I hope that this helped.
    I know it helped me....But I had to figure it out myself.