1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Demonic11

Demonic11 Member

Um i got a few suggestions
    First i once used xboxhdm with ndure and it was a ndure.htm file needed changing to just ndure, as well as a batch script needed updateing which was all on the softmod with ndure tutorial

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

That could of been one of the reasons the other is your xbox drive is not recognised because the tutorial you are reading assumes you have already got either a mod chipped xbox or softmoded machine already, thus ths disk created will have eeprom info on disk and will be able to unlock the drive etc.

Im guessing............

Anyways i have no doubt the tutorial ya reading is a good one most of them are on afterdawn site and xboxxcene but for beginer best one i used was link above. it has 2 awsome guides at start of tutorial made by 2 pretty dam good guys or girsl which ever they are and i know for me they worked.
    Teaches you what Hotswapping is and how to do it
    How to use the xboxhdm software
    And once read that useing the tutorial shows you how to use them all together to get xbox softmodded.

Hope that helps mate.

P.s Man its been a while since i modded my xbox1 and after she blew up on me i went and bought 2 more for 20 quid and done both of those in about 30 minutes :D xbox1 rulez over 360 anyday of the week (reliablity wise, functionality and ease of use)

2. wlkofdoom

wlkofdoom Member

does it matter what brand or model hdd you use

3. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

Well, I tryed it on a friends computer and got passed my problem. I'm guessing my mobo didnt like the linux live cd. However, i'm at a new problem. I'm all the way at the last step, the locking the hd part. I type in the command 'lockhd -a' (no quotes and with the space, i love how that was mentioned several times, lol) and it gives me the "Error, this hd doesnt support the ATA security spec" then all the goodys show up, the "Locked=No" "Frozen=NO", etc...everything NO. Now, reading back into this thread, (and wlkofdoom pay attention here as this answers your question), i've read that mostly the Maxtor QuickViews have the problem at this point because the locking isnt supported, however chunkhead does repeatly say that he's never had a problem with either Seagate or Western Digital, which I dont blame him, I use them both and they are wonderful brands....but this hd i'm using is a WD 100GIG!!! so, i'm not sure why it's giving me that error, but I have a theory....this HD i'm using has a history of when you install XP to it, it crashes after you do your first run of windows updates, and you have to reload, so at first i was guessing bad install, but the HD later worked fine as a external storage device.....maybe it's a bad drive?? Anyways, while I await the reply i'm gonna try a WD 40gig I have and see if I have better luck...thanks in advance for the reply.

4. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

Just an update. Everything worked pefectlly on the 40 gig....and as I was messin with it, I came up with another theory....the drive that my xbox came with was an 8 gig WD Protege....and the 40 gig that gave me no trouble was also a WD Protege....but the 100 gig I originally tried is a WD Caviar, not a Protege, so i'm guessing that the Caviar's dont support locking and Proteges do?? just a thought.

Btw, great tutorials chunkhead, they are all really easy to follow!!

Now....off to the softmodding!!!!

5. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

actually....new problem....the HD works just fine....but the DVD drive wont read xbox games anymore -.-

6. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

scratch that, i must have had a bad boot on that run, cause now its reading the disc....but when I try to load the softmod installer, it just restarts whatever game i'm using, tried all 3. So now i'm trying a new installer and transfering the files over again (i'm kinda typing this as I go)

7. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

ok, so, still couldnt get the softmod installer to work, but then it occurs to me....i have a X2 mod chip in there, lol...so I downloaded the AID and i've been messing with it, and everytime I try to put the dash on there, it either boots into the MC dash, or it just does this boot loop at the XBOX logo screen.....once again, i'm stuck...

8. Demonic11

Demonic11 Member

sorry im stumped never used a mod chip before and from what i understand if ya got a mod chip in the machine ya dont need to softmod thats the whole point of softmodding is that ya dont need a mod chip to get pretty much same result?
    Hardrive wont lock, probably coz when it says it dont support the ata security thing it means ya cant lock the drive with xbox key. i had a fe wdrives like this even same models that apparently suppose to lock but firmware was of a difrent revision, once updated it then locked.

juts softmod with ndure lmao:p and dont forget the jumpers if ya put dvd drive and hardrive on same ide cables. some people report problems in cirtain configurations but iv never had problems doing it.

9. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

true, true, I do realize this, so I gave up on the softmodding part since I dont need it....now i'm just trying to get a dash on there. I've followed chunkhead's tutorial on installing a dash, the only thing is that its softmod based, and so instead of choosing the "Install to E (Softmod)" choice, I've been choosing the regular option (with no (Softmod) thing next to it).....when I do that and i'm all done, it still boots to the MC dash. So, I started fresh once again and chose the "Modchip One Click Install" feature, just to see...and when that was done, I just go into this bootup loop where it displays the XBox logo and says XECUTER2 under it, then the screen flashes, then displays the XBox logo and says XECUTER2 under it, then the screen flashes, then displays.....well, you get the picture, lol. Anyways, The way I has it set up before on the stock HD was that if you hit the eject button, it pulled up the MC dash, and when you hit the power button, it pulls up the EvoX dash. (not that i had a friend mod my xbox originally)....so, i'm trying to set up that same dual boot, and the only option like that I can find on the AID disc is a "Dual boot MC dash / hacked dash Softmod" selection....I think I'm gonna try it, i've tryed everything else, lol

10. Demonic11

Demonic11 Member

Funny how hard things are still after so many years of it working. i had xbox 1 and it was softmodded so i just unlocked the xbox drive coppied files to new drive after creating correct partition table and locked it to the xbox. If ya dont have the key for it make a eeprom reader for under ten quid i did :D worked a treat. but like i said earlier i blew one xbox up in practicing lol thank god they only 20 quid now...
    Hope ya figure out how to get it done way ya want it to..

P.S with mod chips and pressing the eject tray. was this not a udae thing or what ever it was? where the box ran normalfor xboxlive purposes until you did certain controller combination to make it boot. And even if mod chip working would you not still need moddified files on hardrive for it to work using the modchip as the point of exploit? i dunno.

11. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

I'm not entierly sure what the mod chip even does, thus why i payed for a friend to do it like 4 or 5 years ago....but, i was able to boot to the AID disc with just a stock MC dash on there....i didnt softmod it at all, i just booted up the MC dash via the power button, so it would boot through the X2 chip, and it read the disc like normal.

My current problem is installing a new dash onto it, which i know is straying from what this topic is originally, we're one page 14 of a almost 3 year old thread, come on? =P ......anyways, its come down to 2 things really....if I have the MC dash on the C partition and the EvoX dash on the E partition, for some reason, i'll boot into the MC dash everytime, no matter what.....and if I just erase the MC dash all together and install the EvoX dash to the C partition, my xbox goes into a booting loop showing only the XBox logo over and over and over.....

....there are a few other things i'm going to try, but in the mean time, does anyone have a link to a dash install tut when using a modchip instead of softmod.....evening googleing is a fail because all i can find are softmod tuts ='(

12. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

Success!!!.....sorta

After trying the dual boot thing, I was able to make it to where when I hit the eject button i'd boot to the MS dash, and when I hit the power button i'd boot to a blank screen....yay....a step in the right direction I suppose. Well, since it kinda didnt work, I reformated as started from scratch. Here's the steps I took to finally get everything working:

1. Followed the XboxHDM tut. (Basically making a stock Xbox with 40 gig hd)
    2. Booted to the MS Dash, inserted the AID 4.41 DVD, turned off console.
    3. Booted the Xbox by pressing the powerbutton (so it boots into my X2 modchip), which inturn booted AID.
    4. "Prepared" the E and F drive. (prolly didnt need to do the F, but did anyway)
    5. Backed up the MS dash and the EEPROM using the Advanced Options in the AID disc.
    6. Under Softmod Options, I selected "Single Boot Softmod" - "Standard with HD", and chose the EvoX dash.

Now, when I press the eject button, I boot to the EvoX dash, which from there I can select the MS dash when I need it. However, if I press the power button, I boot to a blank screen. Granted, its not the result I was looking for, but, it works.

On a side note, I installed XDSL as an app, but I get a I/O error when trying to load it....but frankly I dont care, i'm just glad I finally got this working....wo0t!

thanks again chunkhead for your tuts....and thank you all who have posted in this thread for the past 3 years!!!

13. sqrlslyr

sqrlslyr Member

recently the hard drive that was originally in my xbox was dropped onto a concrete floor, and now it clicks and doesnt boot, so im assuming that the hard drive is dead. luckily, i just made a backup about a month ago. i tried the tutorial, and followed it closely, but when i plug in the hard drive at the cd's main menu, i wait about one minute, then press one and enter, the cursor moves down one line and blinks...so my question is how long should it stay there? it seems like its not doing anything, it does the same thing on two hard drives, a WD and a seagate, both of which are on the compatibility list

any advice would be greatly appreciated

14. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

I had that problem with my computer...its supposed to hang for a little bit, but not too long....try on a different computer.

15. anonimity

anonimity Member

Great, easy to follow tutorial and I'm at the brink of greatness. But, when I complete the job on my 500G Western Digital Drive, I have partitions C, *D*, E, F, *I*, X, Y, and Z. I think I oguht to have C, E, F, G, X, Y, Z. Also, the format menu is refusing the "xbox" password.

Alos, the password "xbox" still gets me through to FTP. There, I see partitions C, E, F, I, X, Y, Z.

Is there a procedure I'm missing for 500G hard drives? When setting up the structure I write to the CD, do I need to create a folder for each partition I want made?

Thanks for your help!

16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/39/203286#4744030

read that...

Plus partition I could be your memory card

You should have
    C: (system)
    E: (saves)
    D: (Dvd Drive)
    F: (Extended partition)
    G: (Extended Partition)
    Q: (Xbox Media Center Temp)
    X: (Temp)
    Y: (Temp)
    Z: (Temp)

When the memory card is inserted it shows up after G and before Q...so your best guess is as good as mine.

17. anonimity

anonimity Member

Memory Card! Ofcourse! Thank you! I later realised I was being a dimwit and D was the DVD. I'm guessing there is no G because the entire 400G+ was addressable as F so, no need to divide it between two partitions. Thanks very much!

18. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

Hi,

Can I ask a question, where it says make two folders UDATA and TDATA can I just place all my C:\ and E:\ back ups which I've FTP'd off the Xbox into the linux folder and overwrite the folders already there.

Would I still need to copy the Eeprom.bin into the eeprom folder which you state.

Cheers

19. Altus580

Altus580 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009
  20. Kyther

Kyther Member

Excellent tuttorial i've spent the last week looking for most of this info and this is by far the most detailed and helpful