1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am having trouble storing files onto my MP4 player

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by Lily1, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Lily1

Lily1 Member

My MP4 player is brand new, as it was a christmas present, I stored a number of music files onto it yesterday, however I went to change and add to the music today and couldn't. I copied a number of files from iTunes and it came up with 'Cannot copy 'the file(s) I am copying': The directory or file cannot be created'. I then tried to copy a number of pictures and videos from a file stored on the computer and again the same message appeared. Please help. I am beginning to get slightly frustrated with it as it is brand new.
    Thank You
    Jo
    xx

2. Geri168

Geri168 Member

I had the same problem too. I bought my son a 4gb mp4 and I was so nervous that I was scammed. I gave the player to my son on Christmas and he started to load up music, but after 500mb, he was getting that same message. Cannot copy file or folder: directory or folder cannot be created.

I was ready to curse. I copied everything off the player in a temp folder on my PC, then I formated the player using MP3 disk utilities. After it formated it still had 4gb :)

I put the music files back on the player but still had the same error message. I researched the error message and found out that the root directory has a limit on how much can be stored there. What I did instead is created folders: Music, Movies, Photo, etc. and moved the files to the appropriate folder. It worked !!!

Now all I need to do is convert VOBs to AMVs and I'll be set.

3. Lily1

Lily1 Member

Could you please tell me how to format the MP4 player using MP3 Utilities as I have tried to create folders however I am still getting the same message 'Cannot copy file or folder: The directory or file cannot be created'. Please help.
    Jo
    xx

4. Geri168

Geri168 Member

did you remove everything off the player? I only able to work on it after I moved all the music files and copied the original files off the player.

I used the instructions from this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/349770

This person explains how to format the player.

5. Lily1

Lily1 Member

Yes and I think it's ok now it appears to be anyway. Thank You for all your help.
    Jo
    xx