1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error Can't Read DVD File Structure- MTR

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by fongie, Feb 13, 2007.

1. fongie

fongie Member

Error Message on MTR 2.6.6.
    I have a Mac Powerbook G4 and use DVD2oneX2

This is with Marie Antoinette, not sure if the movie is that important, but just wondering if there is a way to deal with this new error message for future use.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks mucho,
    fongie ;)

2. bugmenono

bugmenono Guest

Same problem here. Im trying with Running with Scissors using MactheRipper. G4 w/10.4

3. eriick

eriick Member

I have the same problem with the same title. This is something I've never seen before. Seems like they came up with something new recently. I also tried MTR 3 and FastDVDCopy and the first one crashes instantly and the second one never stops trying to read the contents. If anybody out there knows how to bypass this new issue, PLEASE spread the word to these poor folks!

4. MacLives

MacLives Member

Try playing the DVD with DVD Player first. Including playing the main title. Just for about a minute or so, then use MTR. Hope this helps.

5. eriick

eriick Member

Sorry to say this didn't work. Thanks for your suggestion, MacLives, thou.

6. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

I use MTR 2.6.6 This seems to work well. In order to do these new encryptions the pre-screen needs to be disabled. Also you need to extract the movie only (title set 8 for saw3, it will list which one is movie only) Use that one. Do say yes if it asks you to pad cells.

THEN, the small cells need to be removed in DVD2oneX or DTOX whichever version you have. Delete all the cells with 0.00 duration. There will be quite a few for the new movies.

Proceed as usual. This has worked for S3R1 on my mini, but I had to burn the resultant files on my PC as the mini has no burner. I am just testing for maccies. Boy am I glad I bought that icky movie, my husband actually watches it, yuck.

7. eriick

eriick Member

Thanks a lot, Kitty66! Disabling Pre-Scan fix this problem immediately. Wow! You are a genius.

8. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Cool, I am glad it worked for ya. That process should work for all of the new icky encryptions.

^ ^
    >:<

9. tom_swift

tom_swift Member

also worked for me (on stranger than fiction) as far as ripping is concerned. i will let you know for the burn. thanks lot kitty.

10. Chawny

Chawny Member

Kitty, you rock. I had a problem with Stranger Than Fiction and after reading your posts I was able to rip it. My problem now is that I can't burn it. I use Toast to burn all of my DVDs and it keeps crapping out on compression. Any suggestions on how to make it work with Toast?
    Thanks!

11. fongie

fongie Member

This may seem like a 'duh,' question, but when you select the title with the main feature next to it and let it do it's thing, do you all experience your mtr 2.6.6 stalling?

I looked at the duration/counter and it stayed stuck on the same time forever. So after a while I just had to quit it because it sounded like the drive was being tortured without the counter even budging. Am I supposed to be patient and it will unstick itself? Or am I supposed to select a different title?

kitty, you suggested title 8 for saw 3, but I'm supposed to look for the title that says main feature next to it regardless of number right (this isn't for saw 3, in my case it's grudge 2)? In my case, I selected title 1 with main feature next to it. It just stalled after a few minutes of progress. I also have prescan disabled.

Let me know if i'm missing anything.

Thanks tons! ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  12. eriick

eriick Member

I had understood MTR Main Feature extraction doesn't work. What I always do is rip the full disc and then compress it [Fit-to-DVD] or just select Main Movie on Toast. Hope this helps.

13. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OK, sorry guys I have been h4kking my Nintendo DS and I just got back to this thread. I have had success with extracting title only in MTR for SOME TITLES.

Something to try: Some users report not being able to use MTR properly without letting the movie software play or skip or ffwd through the movie. It apparently marks it somehow??? I am not sure. The Mac is my toy kinda I don't use it much.

I have had success with saw and zoom with 2.6.6

BUT, BIG BIG BUT...the newest encrypts (the last few weeks) from sony and lionsgate had to go this way...MTR beta R14, you have to donate 35 dollars for this. AND...toast will not do it anymore...:( Dragon Burn is the recommended burner for MTR beta. It makes the DVD2one2 obsolete :(. Not entirely MTR's fault. DVD2One is still having issues burning this stuff as is toast.

Here is a link to the 10 day free trial of Dragon Burn for Mac.
    http://www.ntius.com/dragon_burn_downloads.asp

I wish I had better news of free options, but it just wont to it RIGHT NOW with dvd2one2 and non beta MTR's...aaak, hopefully they will update. This is why I have two operating systems (three if you count dslinux) and several burning programs. The big guys are trying to mess up the software producers at every turn.

^ ^
    >:<

R14d is doing all with popcorn and some people report toast is ok other 's report issues...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  14. eriick

eriick Member

True Sony (Columbia Pictures) dvds are giving a lot of issues. This is what I do when they won't play: Skip { >>| } to the next (second) chapter— or third if second still doesn't work —and then rewind { << } to the beginning of the movie. It has always worked for me. Hope it does for all of you guys.

15. pisosse

pisosse Guest

but how do you delete the padded cells in dtox? can't seem to understand that?

16. eriick

eriick Member

Pisosse:

What I do is I burn a disc image of the rip and mount it to run a test on the DVD Player.

Then I identify all the chapters that are useless of trouble makers. Usually what they will do is either play the same content of another chapter repeated at the end or beginning of the movie, or dozens of single-second loops.

Once I know their numbers, I rip again the file but this time I select "Title - Chapter Extraction" from the mode tab. There I specify which chapters I want the new rip to start and end at (SChpt X - EChpt Y).

Then again I burn another disc image of the rip and mount it to test the new selection. If everything looks fine then I burn it.

I know it's a very complex and tedious process; but either this or $20-$30 for the movie at your local store. =)

Hope it works for you.