1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Video freezes

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Peepin918, Jan 30, 2006.

1. DrHobby

DrHobby Member

Yes but even when I put them on my ipod they froze ... until I used iSquint - this fixed all the old MPEG4's that didn't work... i couldn't get the hold of the old firmware....

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

3. DrHobby

DrHobby Member

ta lethal...will have a look...

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum

5. Lethal_B

No worries, doc.

There is an alternate way (and probably the easiest) which is to simply 'restore' your iPod with the 1.0 updater.

iPod updater 2005-11-17 (firm. v1.0 - [bold]Windows[/bold]) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y44N4BER
    iPod updater 2005-11-17 (firm. v1.0 - [bold]Mac[/bold]) - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153441

-restoring info..

[bold]QU 13 - "How do I restore My iPod?"[/bold]

This Guide will show you how to restore your iPod on both Windows and Mac operating systems
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983
    (note that restoring your iPod erases all date and rolls the unit back to "factory state")

Enjoy!!

6. Feelflows

Feelflows Member

Thanks everyone for this thread. Getting impatient for the new firmware upgrade I to relented reverted to the original software, and now have no problem with the video.

On a different note, I would also recommend purchasing the Redchair software for loading and navigating your pod. What's nice about it is its ability to tranfer music FROM you ipod back to your pc...it has a lot less restrictions than itunes. The interface isn't as pretty, but the software is very stable. http://www.redchairsoftware.com/ There's other similar software, but this seems to be the best. what's nice is the $25 allows for lifetime upgrades! LUVZIT!

P.S. Thanks lethal for the link to the original firmware

7. Lethal_B

No worries (I like to keep tabs on everything, because of the repeated questions :)

I agree, Red Chair Software is pretty good, I have used Anapod Explorer on & off for a few months now, and it's a great piece of software (a half-decent iTunes understudy).

Cheers all!

8. bmwcl1996

bmwcl1996 Member

I found a way to prevent the movie from freezing and it works (well i didn't find it, but it was listed somewhere).......when you play the movie on your ipod, let it play for 10 secs and press pause and switch the on "hold" button (on top) and count to 10. Now switch the hold button back off and press play and switch the "hold" button back on and that's it.....This should work =) I tried it with 4 videos of mine and none of them froze up like they did a few days ago. I am soooooo happy i don't have to convert my videos with quicktime pro anymore because they take forever. Give it a shot, if you do not want to downgrade to firmware 1.0 try this. what's 10 seconds versus 2 hours of converting or 15 minutes of downgrading, or 1 hour of reconverting the movies..... that's just my opinion though. I couldn't downgrade because i didn't have the pre 1/06 cd.

9. Lethal_B

bmwcl1996 - The version 1.0 software can be found here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y44N4BER

Downgrading takes 2 minutes once you aware of the methods, and you don't need to delete any data if you wish not to. The v1.0 firmware is a lot more stable than the v1.1, and video playback issue isn't the only problem that has appeared with v1.1, people have also reported problems with turning the backlight on/off, amongst other occurrences.

10. scottied5

scottied5 Guest

the "hold Button Method" seems to work............ for the time being.......... until Apple can get their shiz-nit together

11. Lethal_B

The hold-button method is only a short-term solution -- downgrading is better in the long run, as there is no saying when Apple will release new firmware, or, if it addresses any of the current issues. If you change your minds, the instructions are still there.

12. HAVIK

HAVIK Guest

hey my ipod video has this like sad face on it and ive been trying to restore it but when i plug it in it dosent come up on my toolbar thing

13. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

When the iPod has the "sad iPod" icon on it, that usually means that there is an internal problem in it. Take it into your local apple store and let them check it out.

14. Morgan19

Morgan19 Guest

Hi Thanks for the help, but that link to MEGAUPLOAD won't work for me. I go there but nothing downloads and i can't find where i need to click to download. sorry if that's dumb - can you tell me where? thanks!

15. Morgan19

Morgan19 Guest

Also, has anyone downloaded the 1.1.1 version that was released last week? Did that fix your problem? thanks!

16. Lethal_B

I have downloaded the 1.1.1 Updater and tested it, and had no problems, but I swiftly downgraded to v1.0, as it is very reliable, and I saw no reason to upgrade other than for experimental purposes.

17. mitchg17

mitchg17 Member

I have the same problem. It has existed for with firmware 1.0, 1.1 and now 1.1.1

I believe it to be a buffering problem within the ipod and have a work around that has yet to fail me.

First I start up the video and within the first few seconds I pause it. I keep it paused for 30-60 seconds. Then I resume play and it works fine. I believe without pausing it, the buffer does not get a chance to fill completely and then the sound issue starts.

I have downloaded some videos that worked without doing this and some then some do have the problem. I have encoded my own using several different programs and could not find a set of encoding settings that would work without fail. This pause method was something I stumbled upon by accident and since has worked like a charm. I'd be interested in hearing from others if it works for them as well.

18. DrHobby

DrHobby Member

Just to say I have upgraded to latest ipod software and using iSquint software to crunch stuff as large as all 3 Lord Of The RIngs movies, I have had no problems since then with freezing. The only bugbear is that the battery can't handle a 3 hour movie...

19. Lethal_B

DrHobby, If you are big on movies and watch a lot of them on your iPod, you may wish to consider purchasing a battery pack. The one in the following link will give you an average of an additional 6 hours video playback time.. [bold]http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=148969
    [/bold]

20. jazo123

jazo123 Guest