1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to increase the burning & encoding speed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jay_785, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Tim79

Tim79 Member

Mort81,
    I never new what to put that setting at so i always left it a the default. Is maximum smoothness the best. I dont care how long it takes i would rather quality over anything else.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Tim79,

That's what I would set it at for best overall quality but as I stated it will take the longest of the 4 choices. Try experimenting between max smooth and max sharp. For a lot of action, special effects, lightning, and movies such as the matrix, I recommend max smooth. Hope this helps.

Mort

3. Tim79

Tim79 Member

mort81,
    Thanks for all your help, Thank you to everyone else as well for all the good tips. I will try the maximum smothness and let you all know the time of the shrink.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Tim79
    When you enter Backup you have different options. Under Quality Settings, check both options if not grayed out. I have seen both smooth and sharp work, sort of depends on the movie. However, you need to use both the Deep Analysis and the Quality Enhancements to get the best copy.

BTW, Smooth and Sharp take the same time. As it varies according to the movie, look to the forums to see which is the best for individual movies.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

Just in case anyone wants quality over free, check out the Rebuilder with Cinema Craft Encoder, the best for big movies where compression is an issue. RB/CCE is a high quality encoder app. For the best transcoder (plus fast), I recommend DVDCopy3 by InterVideo (for tasks requiring less cormpression).

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As Bear said, Rebuilder w/CCE followed by CopyDVD3 -

Followed closely by DVD2One then CloneDVD2 should give you several good proggys to choose from . . .

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

Good call Pete... Or they can be software collectors like myself and have all 4 apps to play with. ;)

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

PLUS some -

I have no idea why I keep on collecting -

A word to the wise, Don't bother with 1-ClickDVDCopy, and the like - Iffin' Ya want something to do movies only, use DVDFab the quality is the same as all of the "1-click Wonders" and the program is free -

Cheers,

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Anytime anyone mentions the 1Click I give them my opinion. On that one we're in further agreement. I deleted it to save space. It's a small prog and space isn't a problem on my PC. Should be obvious... ;)

10. Tim79

Tim79 Member

Brobear,
    I did a movie last night that was over 7 gigs and i tried those quality settings that you mentioned. I changed the settings in shrink to maximum smoothness and it took 8 mins for the deep analysis and encode did take a while. It listed it at 1hour 20mins at the start but this seemed to drop rather quickly. It took just under 40 mins to encode. Flying daggers was the movie. Could i also ask you what media would be the best to use. DVD+R or DVD-R. I use plus myself but i have noticed that the -R's seem to read alot quicker when you insert them into the DVD player. Also thanks for you advice on the shrink thing. Watched the movie and the quality came out excellent. Movie is not to good though.

11. TMO

TMO Guest

I am not all that new to DVD-Shrink, but then again its all relative. A little background first:

I have produced aprox. 100 back ups with Shrink and Decrypter and have nothing but good things to say about my success and most, but not all of the end products. I have had to loose disc integrity in order to keep quality. This is something that I have begun to dislike. From what I have been reading it sounds like Shrink won't be getting anymore new versions in the future. I have started to read up on DVD-Rebuilder and it sounds good to a "fresh meats'" ears, but I am skeptical. From the DVD-Rebuilder thread I am getting advice to download the installer program from http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/. But from what I can tell (not an expert at all) it seems like a lot of things to download. The last think I want is for my computer to start acting up and fall apart on me cause something I downloaded has a mess of addware or something else like that.

Bottom line: What are peoples feelings about the life of Shrink and does a program like Rebuilder really do a better job? The creater of Rebuilder is telling me that the encoders that come with the installer pack are good but not as good as CCE.

Thanks for anyone's help and if you read this Mr. Scuba, just know your guides and postings in the forum are very helpful and informative.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

jdobbs isn't blowing smoke and RB with CCE is a hands down winner in encoding compared to Shrink. CCE is an industry leader in encoding with a high learning curve. RB just makes the app usable for the general user without having to do a lot of training. Read Vurbal's installation guide here at AD and you'll see what goes into the RB setup. AviSynth, DGDecode, Rebuilder and CCE or another of the supported encoders or transcoders. The HC is a good freebie, but it takes the CCE Basic to get the best results. The Rockas installer just makes the app easier for newbies to install without having to do the individual components. I've been using RB for a long time and find it to be superior to most apps. One needs to learn to do batch files in order to let the program encode while they're sleeping or away from the PC. Encodes with RB usually take a while; longer than Shrink with quality settings, but not a lot. Sorta seems someone got the wrong impression on this one... no adware.

As far as Shrink, it'll be around for a while longer. The only problem is the aging decryption software. DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD pick up the slack there. Those 2 work well with a lot of programs.

Tim79
    Congrats. Now that you're doing good work with Shrink using the quality settings, it's time to broaden your horizons, try the Rebuilder and see how you like it. Just a warning, the quality is better, but it is paid for by longer encoding time. You can use the freeware version of RB and the HC encoder if no cost is the issue. One can use the CCE SP trial, but you get a big blue logo on the video output (you get an idea of the video quality though). They're not going to let you use a $2000 app without some controls, also the trial lasts only a few weeks. The $50 CCE Basic is the same engine as SP but without the bells and whistles. SP also does multiple passes, and Basic does only 2. The CCE Basic trial will not work as it only works for minutes and will time out before it can do anything.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2005
  13. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

captured hehehe....

also avi2dvd uses cce and 4 other free encoders but is a beta buggy, and does main movie only...

but very easy to use / install

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

Rotary,
    I've yet to try the avi2dvd, so I don't know how easy it is to install. It would be difficult to beat the Rockas installer for ease though. RB is still in beta, but I hear the pro version is nearing completion and it is intended for the retail market. jdobbs said he would keep a freeware version available for the public. However, that version doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Pro version.

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

@ brobear what would the bells and whisltes be that normal doesnt have?

you use the app then? the pro version?

17. brobear

brobear Guest