1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is upconverting really that noticable??

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by acousty, Apr 20, 2006.

1. acousty

acousty Regular member

I have a regular composite hookup for my dvd player on my panasonic HD projection monitor and I tried hooking up a dvd player that had a dvi input which my tv has. I could view no difference in the image quality from the composite. I suppose I was viewing it at 420i and not 1080i, but I thought anything hooked up via DVI was always 1080i. Is it the DVD's can't be viewed at 1080i? Is this where the Upconversion dvd players come in? Can someone let me know if these players are really worth it as far as quality goes?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Upconversion doesn't work miracle but it certainly looks better than a regular DVD player.

I hope you mean component video (RGB) and not composite video (Yellow) because DVI is about 300 times (not an acutual figure) better than composite. It is slightly better than component.

It sounds like you have a 720p projector. There isn't a huge difference between 720p and 480p. It should look better though.

No, DVI can handle 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. May sure the DVD player is setup to output an upconverted signal (720p or 1080i) for a widescreen (16:9)!

I think that your projector may not have an HDCP compatible DVI input. Please post your projectors model # or specs so we can assist you more.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2006
  3. acousty

acousty Regular member

I have the PT-53WX53 by panasonic(let me know if you can't find any specs) Here are some I found...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2363009?_encoding=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

I am moving soon to a condo and this is a big TV to have in our small space. We were thinking of selling it to a friend and getting a wall mounted HDTV, but there are so many to choose from and so many other technologies coming out like 1080p and so on... I just don't know if it would be better to wait or not. I have a budget of $2000 and I see plasma displays going for just under that, but are they good enough? I want to be able to hook up my computer to it and I want to view my dvd's and future HD capable video game sytems and blueray or HDdvd. What would you suggest I do? Do you have any top picks for flat panel tv's in my price range?

4. acousty

acousty Regular member

I bought this dvd player a while back and returned it soon after I couldn't tell a difference at all. It was a samsung and it was the beginning of 2004 when I bought it. It was the first to come out with a DVI output. Did upconversion dvd players come out at this time? Because maybe that player didn't even have that. What would be the point of a dvd player having a DVI output and not being able to upconvert the resolution?

5. acousty

acousty Regular member

No I am not kidding, I am using the 3 (yellow, red, white) RCA composite plugs for my DVD player to my HDTV monitor right now. The dvd player I am using right now doesn't have any other hookup besides that. I was testing the samsung (that had DVI output) against my old player( that I still have now) that has RCA composite hook ups and I could tell no difference in picture quality. It must not have been displaying it in 1080i.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Wow, other that resolutin there should have been much cleaner colors. Try the 720p mode for best results (because of your sets resolution). The samsung isn't a good player to try. Look for an Sony or Panasonic upconversion DVD player.

7. acousty

acousty Regular member

I don't know why they would make a dvd player that has a dvi output but has no way to convert to 1080i. I must have found one though. thanks for all your help though

I think I made a decision tonight to get a plasma screen.
    I am kind of debating on two models
    TH-42PX60U
    TH-42PD60U

I just can't decide whats best for the money... EDTV or HDTV.
    I had posted an earlier post that is relevant to this.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/333486

8. mark3349

mark3349 Member

You can't tell the difference between composite and dvi? Really?

9. acousty

acousty Regular member

Maybe I didn't switch something on in the TV's menu or something. I am going to hook up a dvd player with component monster cables to my HDTV tonight and I will be doing some comparisons tonight.

10. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

I have tried the Toshiba and Sony HDMI upconverting DVD players on my HDMI Bravia. There is a problem with upconverting technology it is not mature and the manufacturers are pushing it out as fast as they can.. before the "real" HD players hit the market.

If anyone here is interested in getting a "MUCH" nicer picture than upconverting... without an HD players (ie: using your existing DVD collection)... Here is what works !!!! ......

Invest in a small HTPC put in a quality ATI card... such as the x700 Pro or X800 PRO then pop your DVD into your PC DVD player and bingo... it buries all the other crap.. It is the very best you can get without a real HD player and media.

I am outputing to my bravia using my VGA out. It's also possible to use the DVI-out of the card... but I don't really need to.

In fact so much nicer.. that I returned both my upconverting DVD players. It was a difference between day and night.

On another subject, the DVD's that are being shipped recently are not the best quality they could be... one salient example is the recent Harry Potter 4 "Goblet of Fire" DVD... the distribution has clearly visible artifacts "Compression blocks"... When I played it on the stand alone players.. it loooked like crap... all the artifacts disappeared when viewed through my ATI card... the HD processor in those cards are amazing.. they simply beautify the picture and get rid of the crap.. (ie: HD smoother.. etc...) This is not the only DVD I've noticed this on...

The reason the quality of recent distributions are being compromised.. is because.. they want you to compare these DVD's to the HD Dvd's that will be coming out... so you can "see" a noticeable difference... The truth is .... a good DVD production cna be very nice... not all DVD's are created equal... Superbit is an example.. The most recent T2 "The ULTRA" edition is an example of the better quality that is achievable on a dual-layered DVD.

When HD players come out.. of course they will be better... but I'll wait until all the leading-edge crap is out of the way .. save myself a grand... and buy it later.... not to mention that they expect us to pay through the nose to get the HD titles ...

I'll get my new titles on HD... but I'm keeping my existing collection... and.... they better come up with a PC HD plyer or else they can keep them ... hehe :)

Regards,

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Upconverting is immature? I have to disagree with that statment. Yes, some of them are crappy because they can't create a decent 480p picture let alone a 720p, or 1080i picture. The thing is it depends on how much they have under the hood! Your ATI GPUs have to be many times more powerful than a sub $300 upconverting DVD player's video proccessor. But, I dare you to compare your set-up to a real DVD upconvetor like Denon's flagship player (model# DVD5910) that features the Genesis Micro "Faroudja" chip set.

Ced

12. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

Hi Diabolos,

I can't say about the DENON, nor do I have the money to setup a comparison laboratory. The SONY was above $300 and the Toshiba was below $300.

The SONY was better than the Toshiba by far, and the HTPC with ATI was far superior to the SONY DVD w/upconverting.

With the HTPC, I can also enjoy HD WM9 (as in T2-Ultra). I wanted to have as much flexibility as possible and so... I picked the HTPC with ATI. Since my Bravia has a VGA input, it doubles as my PC Game box, and I can tell you it plays DOOM3 in full detail at 1366 X 768 in absolutely georgeous fashion, without a hiccup.

Yes, I would dare to compare my setup with the DENON, because my card delivers in crisp detail with beautiful colours at the maximum resolution my Bravia will allow. I'm not saying it's better than the DENON, but I am saying it is as good as my LCD can deliver.

My ATI card can also handle much higher resolution. It is therefore future-proof. If I decide to upgrade my Bravia (God forbid). :)

I'll have to admit that it's quite probable that the DENON could provide as nice as picture on my Bravia, I never tried the DENON.. so I don't know.. but I do know what I have and to date, I have not seen better on a Bravia, and I am very discerning when it comes to video quality...

Perhaps, I am mistaken when I say upconverting is not mature.... Let me restate ... Upconverting is crappy for just about nearly every DVD upconverting machines out there... (with perhaps the exception of a DENON) ... :) hehe...

It's all good, we simply base our opinions on what we've experienced... and until I see a good DVD upconverting machine with my own eyes... I will only say it's possible for it to exist, if one throuws enough money at it... and since you own one.. I am now much more inclined to believe it is possible, it is yet another experience which affects my opinion.

I am not taking any stripes off your DENON.

My personal preference, is to wait for an HD-PC player, until then... I am sticking with what I have.... After having owned an HTPC, with it's benefit of flexibility, upgradeability and quality..... I will never go back to a stand-alone ...

I still use my stand-alone Panasonic progressive scan at the cottage, it is very nice... but not at all in the same league as the HTPC.

Edit:

Here's a chap who has had the experience of owning a DENON upscaler and also an HTPC ...he provides a comparison of his DENON Upscaling with his HTPC.... Here's the link ...

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=487779

His assessment.... He built 5 HTPC's for his friends... and never went back to the DENON..

Regards,

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

My point was that the upconverting industy isn't immature.

I'm glad you saw a diffrence between the Sony and the Toshiba because the toshiba can't create a good 480p picture while the sony can. You mentioned a Panasonic, good chioce, Panasonic has had the best progressive scan equipment for the best price for a long time now.

----------

Everyone has their experiences, I would be the opposite of you, being that I have never seen the advatages of a HTPC over high end home theater electronics.

But I will note that the Denon mentioned was the 2910 ($750) not the 5910 ($3,500).

Also, how much did you entire HTPC cost?

----------

I am becoming more and more impressed with the quality of video that is possible with a standard VGA connection though! I find myself offering it to my customers more and more as a low cost alternative to DVI.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2006
  14. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

Hi Diabolos,

Thanks for the complement on my panasonic choice. My HTPC cost me $499.00 CDN and the video card cost me $199.00 CDN. Both came with the 3 year warranty. The BRAVIA is an excellent display .. and I was lucky to get it for $2399 CDN. The video card is capable of output through DVI, and the 40 inch Bravia has HDMI as well as the VGA port and component. My comparisons were done using the HDMI port on the Bravia. I selected both 720P and 1080i for comparitive purposes on all counts. I have not yet used my DVI-out on the HTPC. I was so impressed with the VGA, I didn't bother to get a DVI-HDMI cable.
    I do however have a VGA to DVI cable, but have not bothered trying it out either. I don't know if it would improve what I have... but I am so happy about what I have now.. I may not make the effort.

An additional note on the Toshiba upconverting players, I tried a few .. they also generate an annoying flicker every few seconds when HDMI is used.... It's almost like the picture momentarily goes out of focus for a split-second. I tried two seperate units and they did the same.. I then went to the store and tried their demo.. and it did it as well... Maybe a bad batch .... hehe :)

Thanks for your tasteful response, I appreciate your open-mindedness.

Regards,
    CK