1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO files help...

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by mozzy90, Dec 8, 2005.

1. mozzy90

mozzy90 Member

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Im a complete n00b when it comes to downloading 'ISO' files so im hoping you guys can help me out because my friend has reccomended this site. :)

I recently broke/scratched my Age of Empires CD and so I want to download it. But the problem is, everytime I search for the game I find files called ISOs and im not sure whether I can run these files on my PC.

I dont have a CD burner so I would be downloading it purely to play it on the PC i've downloaded it on.

So, basically i'd like to know whether it is possible for me to run ISO files onto my PC?

Like I said, im a n00b to this so could you tell me whether I need a certain program to run the ISO and whether I need anything else.

Cheers. :)

2. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Yes all you need is Daemon Tools 4.
    1-install and run
    2-Set 1 virtual drive
    3-Select Mount Image
    4-Mount the ISO file
    5-Play

Enjoy!

3. kazaan

kazaan Member

or you could use WinRaR

4. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

nah, DVDback is correct. Use Daemon or Alcohol. Winrar is generally used to extract [bold].zip & .rar[/bold] files. You don't run games using it!! ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  5. mozzy90

mozzy90 Member

Okay, im currently downloading it and it should be finished in about 2 hours.

One more problem...I think my download might have more than one file. So what do I do if there are more than one files like .cue files and .bin files?

Thanks.

6. DVDBack23

Just mount the .cue

Good luck!

7. hcoboy

hcoboy Member

i have the same problem. I downloaded Halo 2 and downloaded DAEMON but it wont play it. The file is ISO but i did not have the game installed before. Is there a way to still run the program?

8. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure halo2 is out for pc, is it? It's probably a fake. Somebody correct me if I am wrong..

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  9. hcoboy

hcoboy Member

well i sure as hell hope so....cuz i downloaded a 700mb file. It might not be halo 2...but either way i would like to know if i can run the games. That way i can look for some better games that are ISO since that was what most came up as.

10. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

When you download a game they can come in quite a few different 'types' of files, but the most common ones are:
    .ISO, you have 1 file so you mount that file.
    If you have a .BIN/.CUE file, mount the .CUE file.
    If you have a .MDF/.MDS file, mount the .MDS file.

As for Win Rar, sometimes they come encrypted, so you have to extract them to make your .ISO/.CUE/.MDS. That's when you use it. But to mount i recomend either Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%.
    I personally use Alcohol...

The procedure is what DVDback said no more, no less... But if you do a bit of googling you will find detailed tutorials on how to use it...

If you still have doubts just ask.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  11. hcoboy

hcoboy Member

i did download DAEMON. I mounted the file on a virtual drive and thats all i got. What else do you do then. Whenever i try to open the file itself it opens with Roxio RecordNow. I dont want to burn the game...just play it. Im lookin into Alcohol too. But anymore help is very appreciated. Thank You

12. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

@hcoboy:

Basically you have to install it like if you had the cd in the drive. Open it on My Computer and install the game...

What might happen is that you might have to get a 'No CD crack'... But that's another story...

Another thing is... HALO 2 for PC? Are you sure that's real?

13. hcoboy

hcoboy Member

im not sure if it is halo 2 or not. Im just tryin to get some info on playin the ISO file itself. When i try to install the game it goes to Roxio RecordNow like i said before. Then it tells me i need an installation package. Is there another program i can open it with that will allow it to download?

14. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

That should be included whithin the .ISO.
    An .ISO file is basically a cd.

You could delete Roxio, it's useless, all it does is getting in the way of everything else... Not to say that it normally slows the pc right down. Sometimes Roxio crashes the PC in the background.

15. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

I just remembered one thing...

The reason behind it could very well be because what you think is a PC game could be an Xbox .ISO. therefore there's no installation package...

C'mon... HALO 2 for PC?

16. hcoboy

hcoboy Member

Thats probly true...lol. I dont care about Halo 2. Ill see about that too. Thanks:)

17. mozzy90

mozzy90 Member

There IS a Halo version for the PC btw, but there is not a Halo 2 version for the PC.

So if you are downloading Halo then it should be fine but if you are downloading Halo 2 then it is probably fake.

Anyway, back to the ISO situation...

Thanks alot for your help guys, now I understand the basic stuff about mounting images etc.

Unfortunately my download f*cked up so im gonna download another file again.

by the way, what if the file comes with more than one .cue/.bin file? Do you mount them all?

What exactly happens when you mount the file/s? Does it convert them into files you can open or does it open the file as soon as you mount it?

Do you have to keep mounting the file everytime you want to play the game or does it just convert the files into .exe files for example?

18. DVDBack23

1. Yes you mount them in the order they came, because multiple .cue/.bin means the game is more than one cd.

2. It opens the game installer almost immediately after you mount it.

3. After it is installed, you dont ever have to mount the installers again, but you will need to mount a mini disc image so that you can play the game without a disc.

If you need anymore information, PM me ;)

19. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

20. mozzy90

mozzy90 Member

Thanks alot guys. But when I try to install Alcohol 120% it tells me that my trial period has expired everytime I try to open it.

I think this is because i've used Alcohol 120% ages ago on this computer.

Is there any other way I can use Alcohol 120% or is there any other program I can use?

I've just been reading that thread about mini-disc but theres one thing I dont understand:

"3. Select the drive that the disc is in from the "CD/DVD Device:" option."

Im not actually copying my ISOs to a disc so what drive would I put in that option? How can I find out?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005