1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining .vob files to burn DVD?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by ZiaTioN, Apr 5, 2003.

1. ZiaTioN

ZiaTioN Guest

I am recently new to the MAC OS X and have been looking into burning DVD's. I used to do it quiet a bit on Windows but am having probs finding the right apps for MAC. I am using DVDBackup to rip the DVBD and iDVD to burn but iDVD does not recognize .vob files.

I am pretty surew there is a middle step ujsing an app I do not have and do not know about to join the vob files into a readable mpeg format to burn.

I used to accomplish this in the PC world with PowerDVD to rip, DVD2AVI to join the .vob files and TMPGEnc to encode and Nero to burn.

I am sure the process is somewhat similar I just do not know the right or best apps to use to accomplish this.

Any help is appreciated!!

2. ZiaTioN

ZiaTioN Guest

OOPS! forgot one last question. I have read on here a couple of times folks talking about ditching all the worthless crap in the dvd and only ripping the important audio and video files. How would one find out what these correct files are?

3. timhood

timhood Member

First off, you're on OS X, so go out and get OSex, the OS X native extractor. In this, you can choose to make a whole ISO (assuming it's less than 4.3[4.7]GB), or you can extract files at the title or chapter level to get just the movie part.

Once you've ripped the DVD if it's not an ISO, you can use programs like Transcoder (easy, but with few options) or MediaPipe (very flexible but a bit more difficult to comprehend). Both of these are just front-end GUIs to standard Linux tools that were ported to Mac OS X (like mpeg2enc, mkisofs, dvdauthor, etc.)

You don't need to use MediaPipe if you just want to build a disc that's a movie-only disc. You don't need Transcoder either per se, but the newest version now lets you multiplex files and build DVD images without re-MPEGging the files, so it's an easy all-in-one utility.

Other tool choices include Sizzle for building a disc or DVD Studio Pro.

I hope I've given you some good options to go out and get with Google.