1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a quick question...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Exinferis, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Exinferis

Exinferis Member

...I hope!

I've been burning VCD's for quite a while and thought I'd move up into the world of DVD's Go me! Anyway, I've got a few episodes of a TV show which I'd like to put on a DVD-R. Now, each episode is about 350mb Avi's and they're very good quality.

Now, I'd like to get as many episodes as possible on one DVD-R. I've heard tell that this particular series (20 episodes of about 45 mintes each) will fit on two DVD-R's. Don't know if this is possible, but would be nice!

The problem is that, when I try and convert with TMPGEnc to fit four episodes on one disc the quality is terrible.

Now, as I say, I'm new to DVD encoding, but I can usualy get upwards of 2 hours worth of film on a VCD and still have fairly good picture and sound!

Obviously I'm doing something badly wrong! Can anyone help me out with this as I'm going spare!

Danke shun!

Ex

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I'm just getting into this part of things, so I can't be of much technical help. However, I've been following related threads on this topic in the Digital Video section AD. There is a category called "Video Capturing from Analog Sources" with a number of discussions about getting avi and mpeg on DVD.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Exinferis, Welcome to aD -

By stopping after using TMPGEnc you're only 1/2 there.

Continue by using TMPGEnc DVD Author to get your VOB's then burn to disc OR use Nero's NeroVision Express and then burn. Either of these should get you to the right place.

If I were doing episodel proggys, after I finished with TMPGEnc DVD Author I'd use DVD2One in the "Join" mode and in the "Non-seamless" setting then burn to disc.

Something to consider - DVD's are a much higher quality than your VCD's therefore they are larger files. As a rule we put a couple of hours of movie on a DVD but there is a vast difference between 2 hours (120 minutes) and 450 minutes (7 1/2 Hours) on a single DVD. You might want to do a little research on DVD's first - here's a ton of info on DVD's, many questions will be answered here -

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.10

A note - When burning with CD's media doesn't mean too much but when doing DVD's, use a decent media. Recommended media would be RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus or media boasting “Advanced Metal AZO". Other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

Here's a guide for DVD burning -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Cheers

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  4. Exinferis

Exinferis Member

Thanks both, for your quick replies!

ScubaPete, can I just clarify something? When using TMPEnc, I use the wizard and have tried making these files 20% of disc space (in order to fit 5 episodes on) and 25% of disc space (for four episodes). However, both have given me poor picture quality. I tried different vartiations of sound/picture bitrate, but still had poor quality, hence my not going any further with them.

If I carry on and then run them through TMPEnc DVD Author, (or NeroVision) does this improve the picture quality?

As for media, I'm afraid I'm not one to go for the cheapest option! I already have some TDK discs ;-) Thanks for the advice though!

I'll also check out those links.

Many thanks!

Ex

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you didn't worry about the size your picture would improve -

After you've done your rendering you can then take your VOB files and run them through DVD Shrink, Nero's recode2 OR DVD2One.

I still think you're pushing it too much trying to get 5 episodes (almost 4 hours) on a single DVD.

Every time you change a picture it gets worse never better.

Cheers,

Pete

6. dabagboy

dabagboy Member

Mind if I tag along?

I have a similar question, I have taken 600Mb AVIs/VCD files and run them through TMPG to get 4Gb VOBs? Is the quality decreased as you mention "every time I change a picture"?? Why would we do this to get a DVD rather than just use VCD files??? the CD media is cheaper and faster to burn?

I'd also like to get more data hours on the 4.5Gb DVD media, but not if it looks horrible? should we just stick to VCDs?

Put another way I think...Will a DVD player play DVDs that hold VCD or AVI data?

God this can be confusing....

7. Exinferis

Exinferis Member

ScubaPete: My thinking is this: I will be buying this series when it's available to purchase on DVD. With this in mind, I really don't see the point in spending loads of money on DVD-R's and then having to re-buy when it's released by the studio!

All I want is to be able to watch it in the meantime. However, I don't have the space to bung it all on video cassettes!

I'm just really confused! I can fit 2 episodes of this show (about 1 1/2 hours) on a VCD and have virtually no loss of picture quality. Whereas, if I encode even one episode to DVD it still looses quality! I was under the impression that a DVD was supposed to hold more data, therefore allowing for better picture and extra episodes to be recorded to the disc.

And, if I put 4 episodes on a DVD-R that's about 3 hours, not 4. ;-) So you can see what I'm getting at, yes?

So summerise: I don't want to use one expensive DVD-R for just one 45 minute episode when I can use 1 CD-R and make a VCD of 2 episodes. The thing is, I went out and bought this really expensive DVD burner recently and I'd quite like to use it!

As dabagboy has asked, could one not encode as if buring as a VCD, but then burn it to the DVD? This way, we could utalise the larger space on the DVD without compromising on picture or sound quality.

Hope that makes sense! :D

Ex

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  8. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can just encode your Files to VCD but use 48000HZ Audio and then author them to DVD no problem ..That would you can fit 6+ hours of VCD quality Video on a DVD....

When you encode a Low resolution VCD file to full resolution DVD Format you Loose a Lot of Quality because you are Resizeing a small resolution to a Large resolution which is were you Loose all of the Quality, But there is no need to re-encode VCD"s to DVD because VCD"s are allready DVD compliant accept for the audio which needs to be 48000hz to be on a DVD......

9. Exinferis

Exinferis Member

Minion, thank you! That's really all I needed to know! :D

The files I have aren't yet encoded; they're just Avi's. So I just encode them as VCD but make sure I have the sound at 48000hz. Right, got it!

Ta muchly!

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if the Files aren"t encoded yet then you should Use Mpeg2 instead of Mpeg1 because it is a better format and maybe Bump the Bitrate up to about 1500kbs this will increase the Quality quite a Bit and still allow you to get 6 hours on a DVD if you use a audio bitrate of 192kbs....

This DVD Format is Called SIF or CIF format and not every DVD authoring program will support this DVD format especially Cheapo DVD authoring Programs but Both DVD Lab and Tmpgenc DVD Author will support this DVD format accept with DVDLab you have to use Mpeg2....

Cheers

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks for dropping in Minion, Dave did say you were the man to ask -

I owe you one -

Cheers,

Pete

12. Exinferis

Exinferis Member

Thanks again for your help guys!

I just have one more question: I've been tinkering about with TMPGEnc DVD Author. I've sorted out the screen size, resolution and all the other bumph that makes a DVD compatable with a stand-alone player. However, I'm now confused by GOP. I tried using the wizard, but it tells me the GOP is too long (or something). How do I make it so it's compatable?

Sorry, never had to deal with this before!

Ta! :D

13. Exinferis

Exinferis Member

Just thought I'd update this. I tried a search and found a similar problem. I tried these settings in the GOP Structure settings:

Number of I Picture in GOP: 1
    Number of P Picture in GOP: 5
    Number of B Picture in GOP: 2
    Max Number of Frames in Gop: 18

These are the settings suggested in another post. I also have a section which says, Output Interval of Sequence Header, but there ws no setting given for this. I left it at 0.

I tried running it through TDA again and got this message:

A video sequence header is necessary in every GOP in a standard DVD. The video sequence header is incorrect. Etc, etc.

I'm assuming I need a number other than 0 in the Output Interval of Sequence Header box? Anyone care to enlighten me?! :D

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

You set the "Output Interval for Sequence Header" to "1" and this will Put 1 sequence header before every GOP...
    You actually get Better quality when useing a smaller GOP but it can cause a slightly bigger file size...
    This is the GOP I use:

Number of I Picture in GOP: 1
    Number of P Picture in GOP: 4
    Number of B Picture in GOP: 2
    Number of Frames in Gop: 15

Cheers

15. Exinferis

Exinferis Member

Thanks Minion. I actually tried setting it to 1 before I went to bed last night. Have checked it and it's worked fine! (Guess I'm not s dim as I thought!)

I'll try the GOP you've suggested and see how that goes too.

Ta!