1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Successfully Softmodded Your Xbox? Great!.. Now read this before you do ANYTHING!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Mik3h, Oct 14, 2006.

1. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

Hey Mike thanks for the heads up. I was a busy bee all night and I figured out how to lock it. Apparently my Bios was set to "auto detect" so i screwed around with it for a bit and I was able to lock the drive.

But now instead of error message 5 I get error message 6 LOL! Making progress though! What does 6 mean?

2. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Hmm, good to hear you made some progess.. error 6 is - "unable to unlock hdd" I'm not sure why this is, is there any way you can try another HDD? If not let me know and I'll refer you to someone else who is a little more experienced at xbox hard drives.

Giorgic - Yes it means you can skip the other. If you want my MSN, then PM me and let me know your addy so I can add you :)

-Mike

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  3. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

I had some old hard drives buried in the closet... None really worth putting in my Box... an old 3 gig and an 8. But it was worth testing the process on them. However they were so old, they did not support hard drive locking, and xboxhdm let me know so.

Whats unusual is that xboxhdm tells me that my 30 gig is locked... Thats whats odd.

4. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

5. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

as a matter of curiocity, is this how I can softmod a new Xbox? I do have a friend with an unmodded console and he needs some help. If I get a new HD and proceed according to this tutorial and replace his original HD with the new one, is that all? I am going to end up with a softmodded console?

thank you very much.

Giorgoc

ps: Mike I have PM'ed you my MSN, thank you so much for your help!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  6. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

Hey Mike, thanks for all your patience and assistance. I will let you know the outcome of this situation!

7. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Yes, as long as the HD matches the HD Key and the EEPROM is the same it will work. I've added you to MSN, so I'll see you next time I'm on.

-Mike

8. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

hmm.. yes, but now that I am thinking of it, how am I going to be able to FTP to the original xbox and grab a copy of the EEPROM ? I guess that softmod needs to be done in another way. Anyway, this is not important for me atm. I am currently working on upgrading my console's HD into a 200GB one. I will let you know the outcome of my effords... :)

thanks again,
    Giorgoc

9. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

additions for this tutorial.

your CD/DVD Drive has to be IDE. SCSI won't work (although you can manage to boot from it but later on you will get an error).

;)

Giorgoc

10. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

successful HD upgrade!

Hi all,

Well, I have to mention that Mike's tutorial is really cool and it worked for me fine! Following all the steps is not that hard.

Now, the only problem I have is that my HD is 200GB and I currently see only 137GB. I ve found out that I need to format my HD with UnleashX for the rest space to be available. What does this mean and how can I do that? Is UnleashX a dash? I have Evox. Can I format it with Evox? If yes how can I do that?

thank you for your help,

Giorgoc

11. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

ok, formatting the HD to get all the space is dead easy! Just install UnleashX, enable disk G , and Format it! Password for the format menu is 'Xbox' (no quotes - notice the cap X).

thanks Mike for his help/support!

Anybody need help drop us a note,
    Giorgoc

12. newbie862

newbie862 Guest

Hey Guys, I need help getting my hard drive upgraded.

It was soft modded using AID V3.1, and had XBMC as
    dashboard.

My new drive is a Western Digital WD320JB which is in the
    compatibility list.

I followed the procedure in this link, with one exception.
    My eeprom.bin file is not in e:\backup_linux. I did a
    search of all the files in drive E and found it in:
    e:\udata\21585554\000000000000\backup

So, I copied this file to xboxhdm\linux\eeprom folder.
    I also copied all the C: and E: files to xboxhdm\linux
    before burning the ISO disk.

I proceeded to build the new hard drive using the
    xboxhdm boot CD, and it all went smoothly (I used
    Option 3 "Boot linux with locking/unlocking utilities"
    to lock the new hard drive).

When I connected the newly built hard drive to the
    xbox and turned it on, it had a green ms dash rather
    than XBMC. Should the dash be the same as the old
    drive, being XBMC?

There are also other problems:
    1. I can no longer run the XBOX games such as
    Midtown Madness3 and MechAssauly. It complained
    with this error message:
    "your xbox can't recognize this disc..."

2. If I select "network setting", the xbox will
    freeze after about 2s.

I have connected my old drive back, and it's functioning fine
    and can play those 2 games.

Please help!

Thanks

13. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

erm.. Mike may help you a bit more here as I am totally new into this. I just followed Mike's tutorial with no problems at all. The only point that Mike missed to mentioned is that if your disk is more than 137GB you will have to format a new partition (G:) with UnleashX so that you can get full capacity of the disk.

In regards to your problem.... sorry.. I have no clue!!

14. nanospyda

nanospyda Member

the reason I asked is because my ulx dash copied a backup game... I just used the file explorer and copied everything in the D:/ drive to a game folder and the game boots very quickly and smooth.

15. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

Apparently Mike is on vacation until the 23rd...

16. nanospyda

nanospyda Member

OK, I now dont know what to do.. I've followed this tut to a T (and others like it on the net) and everytime I go to plug into my xbox, I get error 6 but I enter everything in correctly... what am I doing wrong??? I even got the floppy on my main PC to work, and bought a second drive for my test PC (where I'm building the drive) can someone plz help?

17. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

have you locked the drive? I am not sure of course if this is causing the problem but locking the disk was the most tricky part from Mike's tutorial.

When the format was completed I restarted the PC, booted from the CD-RW and selected the option to 'lock' the disk without needing to write down the HD Pwd etc.

I am also a newbie so I can't be of any great help, but I found this for you. http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/6.htm

Giorgoc

18. nanospyda

nanospyda Member

the drive says its locked after I go to atapwd... just doesnt wanna go into the box I guess! when I go to lockhd, it says its locked already... the eeprom is on the disc, so it works sometimes... I'll check out the link tho, but I'll try again (maybe rebuilding the drive again:?)

19. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

From my understanding error 6 is the drives inability to unlock. It may be that your drive is not compatable.

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=statistics

Screw around on there a bit, and see if your drive is compatable with the locking unlocking xbox stuffs.

20. giorgoc

giorgoc Member

Could you please post your HD details (brand, serial, etc) so that we can check it out?