1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd vs. a projector

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by camaro17, Nov 26, 2007.

1. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

hello, i was wondering when it comes down to it what has a better picture quality, a projector or an lcd television, i was looking at a 56" sony lcd but my friend had a projector and it was really nice, i think he had it on a 80"+ screen, so i was wondering what has a overall better picure quality, like in a lighted room, using a blu-ray player at roughly 60", and i would like to get a 1080p for either choice.

thanks in advance
    Peace

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Overhead projectors (or tabletop) look great, but u need a really dark room as the lumen output in not super high. If the viewing is done in daylight some or most of the time a lcd or another type of box screen is advisable. Now if you have a dedicated screening room with total light control, projectors are the way to go.

3. saltynuts

saltynuts Guest

also there is the bulbs for the projector they run around 300 to 400 dollars when they burn out and they will so ask yourself,this will i use this like a tv or as a movie only viewer.movies only projector tv games lcd tv.

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

The older Sony Qualia 004 projector's bulb was about $2000 USD ea part only

5. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

thanks guys i think ill go for a 57" lcd tv, just because i think the colour would look better and that it would look sharper when it comes to HD.

6. saltynuts

saltynuts Guest

now if you are not a gamer consider plasma.they look stunning playing hi def content also.big plasma are cheaper than big lcd.but if you are a gammer than stick with lcd.also there is DLP.they come very big for a good price.

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

If picture quality is at issue, then check out LCOS technology (liquid crystal on silicon) . Sony has their SXRD tvs and JVC has their D ILA tvs (both lcos). Stunning pictures from 3 panel LCOS chips at full 1920x1080 configuration. BTW Plasmas require a transformer and therefor IMHO are noisy when the volume is turned down ( I hear them hum)

8. saltynuts

saltynuts Guest

not all plasmas are loud i have a 42 inch sammy plasma and it performs like a champ no loud nois at all in low volume.and yes you are right sony makes one hell of a set.

9. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

ya i was wondering what sxrd was, when i checked the sony site it said a bunch but it never said it was an lcos, but what is the PQ compared to lcd, i am not interested in a plasma because i just dont like them, they have alot more issues, so can someone help with lcos vs. lcd, and i would prefer sony products, also i have been looking at lcos but had no idea what it was.

thanks in advance
    Peace

10. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

here are the two tv's i am looking at, it would be nice to se everyones opinion.
    LCD
    OR
    LCoS

Thanks in advance
    Peace

11. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Camaro17, personally I like LCOS over LCD as Lcos was initially at 1920x1080. Lcd was only 1280x720 but later improved to 1920x1080. IMHO LCOS looks sharper tha LCD, but you have to make the final decision by doing a side by side demo.

12. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

ya i am gonna head over to my local BB and check out the two screen types to see which i like better, thanks for the feedback.

Peace

13. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

You are welcome.

Peace (and health) to you too

14. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member