1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac help needed

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Singhbros, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Singhbros

Singhbros Member

hello everyone,
    i have a question is there any software i can download which allow me to rip vcd as .mp4 or .avi files and also i want to rip part of it i have been using Handbrake which allows the users to rip chapters as they want.. but with VCDs there is only one chapter which is like one hour long and i just want the rip it as 40 minute file could someone please help me with this thanks. have a great day everyone

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum.

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

Just copy the large .dat file from the disk.. it's a mpeg1 file.. so you copy it and rename it xxxx.mpg

Then use whatever video editing software you have to hand.. I'm pretty sure there is a mac port of avidemux

4. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Despite the comment on AfterDawn that this applications isn't released for Intel Macs, the latest version, Avidemux 2.4.4 is for MacOSX 10.5 PPC & Intel:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10829935

If you've any problem with that, MPEG Streamclip has always been a favorite with many. Its latest version, 1.9.3b2, is available in beta test:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/51380

I've used the latter program to edit MPEG-2 (not MPEG-1) movies (with delicate mouse clicks), but that required a fully functioning Quicktime Pro with the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component.

5. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

The author of Avidemux gives instructions on compiling his source code for various Linuxes and Windows. He didn't claim to compile it for MacOSX 10.5: I don't know who did.

It's not clear to my why it can't be compiled for 10.4 or 10.3. If one really wants it for Tiger, one could try building it from source (or, of course, using a Linux USB flash drive).