1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac OS X: AVI sync issues after burning with Toast

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by stoavio, Jul 6, 2006.

1. stoavio

stoavio Member

Hey everyone. First let me start by saying that I’m aware that this question, or variations of
    it, have been asked multiple times before, but I’ve searched tirelessly to no avail for a
    solution to this issue and haven’t made any progress.

I’m using a Mac (OS X 10.4.6) and trying to burn 5 AVI’s to a DVD-R. The AVI files play
    flawlessly in Quicktime 7 Pro and preview equally as well in Toast Titanium 7.1 but once I
    write it to the DVD the audio progressively comes out of sync with the video. I know this
    issue is a common one and many people have found a solution that works for them but
    I’ve failed to find something that works for Mac users. The AVI files I’m trying to burn all
    have the exact same properties:

[bold]Video:[/bold] DivX 6.0, 624x352, 23.98fps
    [bold]Audio:[/bold] MPEG Layer-3 Audio, Stereo, and 48000 Hz
    [bold]Size:[/bold] 173mb

Also, these are supposedly HDTV recordings. They look beautiful when I view them on my
    Mac but once I burn them the quality really seems to have been reduced. What causes this
    and is there anyway to prevent or at least improve it?

There must be another Mac user out there who’s encountered this issue at least once and
    has a solution for it. I currently have Handbreak, DivX Converter, Quicktime 7 Pro, Roxio
    Popcorn 2, Roxio Toast Titanium 7.1, MPEG Streamclip, and Sync-hole installed but have
    only experimented with a couple of them. Nothing seems to work. At first Sync-hole
    seemed like the answer I was looking for. According to the developer’s website it’s
    supposed to match the audio and video tracks together making them the same length.
    Well, it does that, but once I write the AVI to the DVD-R the audio sync issue returns.
    Again, the AVI’s play perfectly on both my Windows PC and my Mac. It’s only once they’re
    burned that the audio comes out of sync with the video.

I’ve loaded up the AVI files in QuickTime 7 Pro and viewed the Movie Properties. Before
    running them through Sync-hole the duration on the audio and video tracks differ by 2
    milliseconds. Once I run the AVI through sync-hole they match up perfectly but the
    problem still remains once the AVI is written to the DVD-R.

I consider myself a tech savvy person but a solution for this continues to escape me. If
    someone would be kind enough to offer up a explanation on why this occurs (and it seems
    more frequent in AVI files) to one who has limited experience dealing with DVD authoring,
    encoding videos, burning, etc, I sure would appreciate it.

There has to be something I can do with the slew of programs listed above that can
    correct this issue. I’ve wasted nearly 10 disks and am starting to run out.

Any help would be appreciated. I’d like to better understand the problem and as you can
    tell am desperate for a fix.

Thanks,
    Mason

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  2. stoavio

stoavio Member

3. stoavio

stoavio Member

4. Londor

Londor Guest

5. stoavio

stoavio Member

^ Yea, thanks. I had seen that thread but was hoping for something a little quicker and easier.