1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac OS X dvd player "Not Permitted"

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Essey, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Essey

Essey Guest

The Mac dvd player does not playback dvd video discs created on a PC using nero 5. The Mac player comes up with the error "not permitted". The DVD disc is a region free Pal disc.

I have found in a forum that this is an issue with Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.2.8.
    "The message "Not permitted" appears when you try to play a DVD-R disc. No files on the disc are visible in the Finder. This can happen when the disc was burned in a way that file permissions were not properly set on the disc."

What can I do to remedy this?
    What file attributes does the dvd player need to see in order to play the disc?

very urgent!!

2. Londor

Londor Guest

What kind of media are you using?
    Anyway just import the ViDEO_TS folder to your HD and using DVDPlayer open it and press play. Once on your HD you can also re-burn it.

3. Essey

Essey Guest

I have used Sony DVD-r and Verbatim DVD-r. (both general media)

I have done a test on Maxell Authoring Media DVD-r and that works.

On further investigation I have found that -
    On the general media burns, the files within VIDEO_TS have just the R attribute flagged.

However, on pressed discs and the Authoring media both the R and A attributes are flagged.

This does tie in with the previous post I found on the mac.faq forum regarding "file permissions not properly set".

What I have a problem understanding is that -
    Why does a burnt disc from Nero on a PC work pefectly on any domestic DVD player and on any PC DVD player software, but not on a MAC.

It seems the Mac software is a little too sensitive to file attributes.

As far as I am aware, the A attribute is for Archive. Why would it matter if this is set or not?

My final test will be to find a way of burning a DVD-r General media disc on a PC and physically setting the A attribute on the DVD it burns, if that is possible.

4. Essey

Essey Guest

In addition... Sorry forgot to mention in the last post.

If you look at the general media DVD in finder on a Mac there will be no files listed within the VIDEO_TS folder. They are all hidden... Apparently.

I haven't checked this out myself as I have no Mac here at present.

TIA

5. que01

que01 Member

I have used dvd shrink 3.1 and nero 6.3.0.2 and all
    my dvd played in my mac and dvd players. I used
    ritek dvd-R

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  6. conqstman

conqstman Guest

Hello All -
    I'm new to this newsgroup. I just bought a used Powerbook G4 on ebay after years of experience with Windows based PC's. My problem is the same one that Essey is experiencing. I bought this laptop in hopes of playing all of my burned dvd movie backups that were burned on dvd+r discs from my VAIO PC laptop. Although they play fine on my home dvd player, none of them will play on my MAC. Is there a trick? I've read of different format discs (dvd-r instead of dvd+r) as well as the software that the discs were burned with. I used Nero 6 for some and Clone DVD for the rest using my PC. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!

7. Londor

Londor Guest

Wrong media.
    Panther willl recognise any of the four formats meaning that
    you can read and burn data from the finder to a DVD-R/-RW/
    +R/+RW but Mac applications like iDVD or DVDPlayer will
    only work with the -R format using the original combo drive
    or superdrive in your Mac (one guy posted he was able to play
    movies on DVD-RW's using an external drive).
    Under Jaguar DVDPlayer will work with DVD-R and DVD-RW
    but you can not use +R/+RW even from the finder.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2004
  8. conqstman

conqstman Guest

Hi Londor -
    Thanx for your reply! I am running Panther 10.3 on my Powerbook. Can I assume that this laptop has the original combo drive which is cdrw / dvd in it that you are referring to? I am using only dvd+r discs so maybe this is the problem that you mention. Are you saying that if I burn more dvd's on dvd-r format discs in my PC laptop (my Powerbook does not have the superdrive which burns dvd's), this format dvd will read and be able to be viewed in my Powerbook G4 Titanium? Thanx for your help and have a great day!

9. Londor

Londor Guest

Using DVD-R you make sure there will not be a problem of media incompatibility but as stated by the person who started this thread the way the disc is burned is also important. I have not used windows for years now so I do not know why he is running into trouble but if you read 4 posts above this one que01 does not have any problems. If I were you I would use ritek DVD-R media. I had so far 100% success using them (just make sure you buy grade A). Refer to this thread to check the pictures of the ones you should be going for:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/80638

10. conqstman

conqstman Guest

Hi Londor -
    OK then. I'll take you advice and try to find some Ritek dvd-r format discs (not the dvd+r ones that I have now) and give that a shot. I don't know where to find them locally though. The Best Buy, Circuit City, and Staples stores do not carry that brand. If anything, I'll take a chance and just try some brand of dvd-r media instead of the dvd+r. Also, do you think the dvd movies should be burned at a slower speed than 4x? I have a 3.06ghz PC Sony VAIO brand new laptop which is a powerhouse so I thought the 4x burning speed should be ok but maybe too fast for the MAC to read the DVD? Thanx.

11. Londor

Londor Guest

Never had a problem because of the burning speed on my
    Macs. At the moment I am burning at 4x on my G5 DP and so
    far all the backups work perfectly in every player I have tried
    them on.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2004
  12. que01

que01 Member

the best disc to use are ritek, piodata and prodisc. you can find these disc at www. shop4tech.com