1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac Ripping Question 1st Post!

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Sylar1977, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Sylar1977

Sylar1977 Member

1st post noob with questions.

I will soon own a Mac Pro, and I will use MacTheRipper3 on Mac, and CloneDVD2/AnyDVD on PC via Boot Camp. Right now I am just using a PC with CloneDVD2/Anydvd. I have Roxio burning programs on both platforms. I want to use my Mac Pro as a video jukebox, holding 4TBs of all my favorite TV shows and movies, at full dvd quality, but without all the menus, and extras. I just want to be able to select from a complete collection sitting right there on the hard drives, and simply hit right click play with the Apple DVD Player program for Mac. Right now I am ripping DVDs, and saving as Video_TS DVD Files, then backing that up on DVD-Rs as Data DVDs, as I currently don't own the hard drives yet.

My questions:

1. Should I be ripping/saving in this method, or should I use ISOs or something else. I can remake these Video_TS DVD Files as ISOs without any quality lose right?

2. What are the Pros and Cons of using the ISO to archive vs the way I am doing it?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. Sylar1977

Sylar1977 Member

Thanks for any help in advance.

3. Sylar1977

Sylar1977 Member

Or should I make high quality codec based media files? If so, what codec and quality? I know that Apple's Quicktime has that H.264 thing, and it will be used mostly on Mac. But I don't want to lose any of that DVD quality. Or any that I can notice anyway.

4. Sylar1977

Sylar1977 Member

WOW, noone chats here, nevermind.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to a Mac-specific forum, methinks that's probably why you didn't get any replies..

6. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

You have it in Video_TS format, so preserve it - start changing into other formats and you will lose quality, not gain. Burn the _TS vobs using the video-TS folder function on Toast to burn to DVD. Then, this can be copied directly to your hard drive as a back-up.