1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac The Ripper

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by modrich, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Londor

Londor Guest

Gerlep

It looks your PB does not support the +RW format. What model do you have?
    Anyway stick to high quality DVD-R and you should be fine.

2. JFlipz25

JFlipz25 Member

Hey,
    I'm new to this and I would like to know if there is any good free DVD compression software available online? I have MacTheRipper, and I have ripped "Fight Club" but I cant get it on a DVD, and I dont want to spend a lot of money on software seeing as Im a poor college student.

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Look up DVD2OneX or DVD Remaster...

4. gerlep

gerlep Member

Londor, appreciate your response. I was always ead to believe that DVD+rw was superior, is this not the case? I shall try dvd-r. Apart from that was there anything else wrong in my process? Also if I cannot burn dvds on +rw, what can I use these discs for? Ta.

5. Londor

Londor Guest

Neither format is superior to the other quality wise. The - format is more compatible though.

What PB model do you have? Also what version of Toast are you using?

6. gerlep

gerlep Member

Pb G4 osx 10.3.6
    toast titanium 6.0.6
    if ye can help further would be a great help.

7. Londor

Londor Guest

To know what kind of media you can use check which one of the following Superdrive models you have:

Matshita UJ-815: DVD-R

Matshita UJ-816: DVD-R/-RW

Matshita UJ-825: DVD-R/-RW DVD+R/+RW

For information on ripping/compressing/burning a DVD read this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125996

8. gerlep

gerlep Member

i will check this. That thread on the 3 steps is brilliant, thanks for this. God bless ye!! :)

9. gerlep

gerlep Member

Checked out your 3 point system, still getting no joy at all. I ripped a dvd using MTR, Burned using Toast Titanium, the apple now accepts the disc (dvd-r) but will not play in DVD player. In my home DVD player getting a cannot be read message. Any other tips would be appreciated.

10. Londor

Londor Guest

Try this

Open DVDPlayer and click on "File" in the menu bar.

Select "Open Video_TS folder".

Choose the Video_TS folder that MTR had produced.

Press "Play" on the controller.

Does the movie play?

11. gerlep

gerlep Member

Yes the MTR process is all fine, every single DVD i have ripped has worked in the way you suggest, opening from DVD file menu. That is all 100pc perfect. It is the next couple of stages. I inserted my burned DVD, but the DVD player didn't launch. I launched it myself and tried to play it with no success, then tried to open the file (ie: the one burned onto DVD) but getting error messages.

12. Londor

Londor Guest

If DVDPlayer is not launching when you insert the DVD is because you did not burn it in UDF format.

If you are using a version of Toast 6 previous to the last one (6.0.7) you have to burn it as "DVD-ROM (UDF)" under the "Data" tab.

If you are using 6.0.7 you have to burn it as "DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS" under the "Video" tab.

Also if you want to play the backup on the Mac you have to burn it on a DVD-R.

One more thing. Can you check how big the VIDEO_TS folder is?. To do it just click once on it. Click on "File" on the menu bar and select "Get info".

13. gerlep

gerlep Member

i am using Toast 6.0.6 and have the data tab selected to UDF, am using DVD-r (maxell) The file size of the VIDEO_TS folder is 4.18gb.

Anything else ye think I might not be doing right. thanks for your help here.

14. Londor

Londor Guest

You have followed the right steps. If it is not working there may be a problem with your copy of Toast. Did you buy it?

15. gerlep

gerlep Member

yeah toast came with the dvd burner I purchased.

16. Londor

Londor Guest

Then download the latest version

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/toast/software_updatesv6.jhtml

You can also try to burn the DVD using Disk Utility.

1. Download DVDImager ( http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html ). It is free.

2. Drag the VIDEO_TS folder you got from MTR on the DVDImager icon.

3. Tick "Prompt for new destination".

4. Click "Create image" and choose a destination (Desktop).

5. Once the image has been created open Disk Utility. Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

6. Click on the "Burn" icon.

7. Select the image produced by DVDImager.

8. Burn it.

Let me know if you got it working.

17. Londor

Londor Guest

I thought you were burning using the internal superdrive. What DVD burner are you using? What formats does it support?

18. gerlep

gerlep Member

Success at last. Thanks for your help the Toast upgrade seems to have done the trick. Thanks for all your help. :)

19. nrrdrt

nrrdrt Member

Does anyone have a clue why dvds are being ripped in any language but english? I have set the region to 1 and am using Mplayer to watch. The movie I am having problems with is the green mile. once ripped it will only play in french.

20. jlapolla

jlapolla Member

Hi. I am using Mac the ripper and dvdzone with Toast on my G5. Everything works great. What I'd like to know is what if I want to just rip and burn certain scenes or certain extras (like making of's, etc.) Is there a way to do this? Sometimes I want to make compilation dvd's of favorite scenes. Thanks