1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mac the ripper

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by xmatt, Jan 24, 2005.

1. xmatt

xmatt Member

When running MTR get warning "DVD error Failed DVD2 test." I hit prompt and continue, but I am Not able to copy movie in popcorn or dvd2 one. I get a incomplete movie burn.

When run on PC with shrink, no problem

HELP

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

What version?

I've had some recent problems that were solved by rebuilding permissions and then running MTR. Give that a shot.

3. xmatt

xmatt Member

version 2.6.1

thanks

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Try rebuilding permissions. Also in a day or two they will be coming out with 2.6.2 which has a bug fix that may fix your problem!

5. xmatt

xmatt Member

tried permissions repair,no luck

thank you

6. brak_1999

brak_1999 Member

Sorry if this seems off-thread but I was curious how long the copy and burn process takes with MTR and Popcorn?

7. xmatt

xmatt Member

the avg time for about 4 gig movie , (no compression needed) is around 25min. If you use DVD2one or popcorn it increases to about
    40min.

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

9. hosang

hosang Member

FYI: MacTheRipper kicks butt when extracting video from DVD into Video_TS folder's... fast and easy.. oh yea a big bonus.. ITS FREE!!

Okay, now to my goal. I want to combine three or four movies onto one DVD. Possible? I dunno. I tried to convert the extracted video to mp4 using Handbrake (another great free app) and then place the 3 or 4 mp4's onto a DVD using iDVD but if I have more then 1 movie iDVD says out of space.

Any idea's? I realize the quality won't be awsome, but I think it would be pretty cool if I am going on a trip and I could pull out a DVD that has all three Lord of the Rings on it so I can watch it on the plane. Of course it would have to be one heck of a long flight.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

EASY. Use the JOIN function in DVD2OneX. You can combine as many as you want. Obviously the more you do, the lower the quality.

11. hosang

hosang Member

Thank you for your response... Using the JOIN feature just merges the files, doesn't it? Will it allow me to obtain my goal of having the DVD menu come up at the beginning and display three or four movies to choose to watch. I was able to compress each move to a 1GB mp4 so technically I would think they should fit on the 4.7GB DVD.

12. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

How would it know what menu selections to name?

The only way to do what you are talking about is use idvd or dvdstudio pro and remaster, creating new menus for each. You'd also have to convert your streams to M2V to do that.

13. hosang

hosang Member

I attempted to use iDVD originally. I imported the MP4 with no problem, but then when I attempt to import another movie into iDVD I get the error message with "not enough space" (movie was only 1GB).

So I am under the impression that iDVD must convert the MP4 into a different format that takes up more space. The missing key maybe this M2V format you mention.

I will check into this more.

Thanks again for your help mediaguru

14. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

DVD video is Mpeg2 compressed video. Mpeg4 is not the same. So when you go from MP4 to M2V the file size will be MUCH larger. Many people run into this snag. Best thing would be if you could convert to quicktime then use compressor or quicktime pro to convert to m2v. You can test and see the sizes before you commit to doing it.

15. tybryan

tybryan Member

Hello,
    I can never get any audio after I rip a dvd with mac the ripper. I use 42dvd vx-plus to convert to avi. I've tried using other encoders with no luck either. Anyone know the secret.
    Thanks,
    Ty