1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac won't play backups

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by quotidian, Sep 6, 2005.

1. quotidian

quotidian Member

First of all, I would like to thank this community for helping me make back ups of some of my favorite dvds. Without you guys I probably would have gone crazy when my psycho-ex-girlfriend wanted to get back at me by scratching the $#!t out of my dvd's to get back at me.

Anyway, I've recently come across a problem. I don't know when it happen, because I normally don't watch my back ups on my laptop, but recently when I place a back up into my drive it spits it right out.

I burn it with an external burner and use Toast. When I burn it I can verify the burn and play it from the external burner, but when I place it in the main drive it spits it out.

Any insight would be helpful

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

does the laptop have a dvd player? i know its a dumb question.. but that might be why.

3. quotidian

quotidian Member

No question is dump...
    Yes, it comes with the standard DVD player. I used to be able to play my back ups but haven't tried playing them for about a month or so...

4. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

will it play your non-back ups?

also, what media type are the back-ups on?

and how old are they?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  5. quotidian

quotidian Member

That's the weird thing:
    It will play regular dvds,
    The dvds are burned onto DVD+Rs (haven't tried reading DVD-Rs; will try tonight)
    The dvds are all recent...

I hope it isn't because of the stupid DVD+-R thing... that would suck...

I won't be able to respond 'til tomorrow...

6. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

dats fine about til tomorrow.

what brand are they? it may be media.. the + or - shouldnt matter.. at least not too much

7. macman123

macman123 Regular member

what format are u using to burn? toasts dvd-rom udf, dvd from video_ts folder or are u burning it with disc utility? try all three on a rw disc and see if that helps. also make sure it can read + discs.

p.s. nice signiture. that makes a good point. people blame people for dl movies or burning them, but the real truth is, they can't come out with a movie that is even good enough to dl or bun!!! i haven't bought any new dvds yet because they all suck.

8. quotidian

quotidian Member

I'm using toast's UDF format to burn onto DVD+R using an external burner. My laptop has a super drive that only burns dvd-R. I don't know have anymore dvd-R to test this with because my collection is over at the new little lady's house.

I'm going to burn a dvd on my laptop right now (since I didn't do it last night), but it's a 1x burner so it might take a while.

Thanks for all the help so far...

PS Responce: Yeah, I'm a big fan of movies and the last couple of years has had too many disappointments. In a world with an ever decreasing attention span, you can't get by on repeating the tried and true. There is a reason classics are classics, they stood out from the rest of the movies of there day. And although, not everyone may have been alive to see it the first time, we are bombarded so much by other forms of media that it get's harder and harder not to see the same plot used over and over again in different forms.

9. quotidian

quotidian Member

The DVD plays and runs just fine...
    Do I need a firmware update even though I'm running Tiger?

10. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

run the software update.

11. quotidian

quotidian Member

Nope, I run it on a regular basis and the only thing that popped up this time was the new iTunes and QuickTime... I think I'm going to look for the firmware update and see if that may fix the problem