1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. gaspump57

gaspump57 Guest

Hi, Wanted to follow up with contact I had made with you recently. I recently downloaded MTR 2.6.3. I still seem to have problems with two of the latest new releases - The Forgotten and today, The Grudge. MTR displays the ARccOS detection notice. However, when I attempt to rip those two movies with MTR, the MTR window states a "BAD SECTOR" alert. The rip pauses for quite a while with 3 to 5 different sector numbers before it continues ripping the remainder of the movie. When MTR is finished, there is an alert again addressing the problem. The system components I use are as follows - Mac dual 1Ghz Quick Silver, with Pioneer Super Drive DVD-RW DVR-104, a LaCie D2 firewire dual layer buner - MTR 2.6.3, Roxio Popcorn. I ususally use the LaCie burner to rip and burn the movies, although there have been a few titles that will only rip on one of the other. With both titles, The Grudge and The Forgotten, I let the rip finish, used Popcorn to extract and burn the main movie. With both titles, the following results identical to each other occured. Place into two different DVD players (the same players used for all my movies), The players window will indicate the time counting as if the movie was playing - it also indicates the Dolby Digital sound ID, but the screen remains dark with no sound - if I chapter skip forward to chapter 2, there is a picture with sound - and the odd thing is, if I reverse scan, the movie will scan all the way back to the beginning of the movie and play normally forward from that point on. I then "re-ripped" each title with the MAIN FEATURE mode on MTR. Then burned both again using toast 6. Popcorn for some reason will not accept that ripped version. For The forgotten, I had to remove the last VOB of about 600 + MB to fit it onto Toast 6. That last bit is only the end of the credits. Basically, do you know why MTR 2.6.3 seems to have such a problem with the apparent new copy guard ARccOS. As I had weritten to you recently, the same problem occured when I tried to rip and burn The Forgotten with MTR 2.0.2 Look forward to your response. Thanks

2. gaspump57

gaspump57 Guest

I meant to mention, I did try the two titles from the first attempt in a Sony Playstation 2 - they played fine. Hmmm.

3. Miamiblue

Miamiblue Member

Hey, to buy Dvdonex it costs $67.47?!?!?!?!? Is that right?

4. contract

contract Guest

After Rip, how copy to 2 discs - Spilt- w/no compression on Mac?

I have tried everything and certain discs I have do not look good after compression...using a Mac....(DvdBackup > DVD2xone and Popcorn, burn with Toast).. I have read all the posts...

Someone suggested copy to 2 discs after ripping, splitting it up, no compression, how do I do that?

Do I need to use DVD2xone? Is there a way to dump certain files in Toast (I tried to do it and the first disc some chapters had no sound, etc.. )?

TIA

5. contract

contract Guest

After Rip, how copy to 2 discs - Spilt- w/no compression on Mac?

I have tried everything and certain discs I have do not look good after compression...using a Mac....(DvdBackup > DVD2xone and Popcorn, burn with Toast).. I have read all the posts...

Someone suggested copy to 2 discs after ripping, splitting it up, no compression, how do I do that?

Do I need to use DVD2xone? Is there a way to dump certain files in Toast (I tried to do it and the first disc some chapters had no sound, etc.. )?

TIA

6. Judy_Long

Judy_Long Member

As an FYI, I have seen in this thread that DVD2OneX costs $37 or some such amount. It is US$68 (US Dollars).

I bought it. I like it and it's worth it.

7. Miamiblue

Miamiblue Member

Yeah, I'm assuming that from their recent new versions that they jacked up the price 50%!!! I guess I'm going to have to dish out $70 bucks for it. If anyone has any other alternatives, let a college student know!!!

8. contract

contract Guest

This tutorial is great!
    I have two questions?

1. Why do some DVD's (7gig +) compress with great results and others you have to split to get good quality copies? Using the same programs, media etc?

2. I just bought Cleaner 6, kind of intimidated, will this work as I hope to compress ripped dvd's among other projects? any easy instructions anywhere for this purpose?
    TIA

9. ggushee

ggushee Member

My imovie project encodes..reads disk....starts burning process.....1/3 completion...and then seems to stop....burner reads, pauses and repeats itself.....after 6 hours....the burn still seemed to be happening but at an extremely slow pace.....Burning with Toast....watching the time remaining clock....it read 04:27 and then 3 hours later it was only at 03:50????? could my problem be it was just barely writing at 1x?????instead of 8x.....ANYWAY.......backing this up.....the first half of my imovie project was done in Version 3 and then I installed Version 4 and opened my project.....I think some elements were lost and this could be my problem.......Maybe becasue my POwerbook is only a 550mhz....I should go back to imovie 3??? If that is the case, keeping in mind that this is my first time using imovie and toast....., can I open imovie 3 and then import the QT.mov file into imovie 3 and then save in imovie 3 and then try to burn with Toast......or do I import the imovie copy of my project into imovie 3....or is importing not possible and I have no choice but to start the project over again in imovie 3....

10. Judy_Long

Judy_Long Member

I'm not using iMovie for any of this, but I can tell you that relying on the times Toast gives you is - Well, don't... The times are 'guesstimates' the program makes and are generally very optimistic.

11. ggushee

ggushee Member

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!! I just downloaded OSX.3.8 onto my desktop.....before installing I decided to restart my computer...why I don't know....anyway when my computer powered-up....the grey page appeared with the apple......the little pin wheel started to spin.....and it continues to spin....Like I don't have an operating system......I can't find my OSX.3 disks., But I do have OSX.2.4......can I use the install disk and then open disk utility to repair??? or becasue it is OSX.2....it may ask to repair issues only in OSX.3.......and if I can't find my operating disks for OSX.3 and reinstall OSX,2,4.........DO I LOOSE ALL OF MY IMOVIE AND OTHER FOLDERS????? I am so frustrated and confused.....I have been working on an imovie project for my parents anniversary since Nov.12 and I leave on Tuesday......I am so hoping not all is lost and someone will help me threw this??????PLEASE!!!!! Gordon

12. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'm sure you were SMART and backed up your important project regularly...

13. cwatters

cwatters Member

how do I convert PAL format into the North American format

14. contract

contract Guest

Just wanted to let folks know after my posts I found a solution to the compression issue I had with compressing 7gig+ plus discs onto one and maintain the quality. If you recall I tried both Popcorn and DVD2xone and on some commercials discs the results would end up having a rotating pixalation, mostly on "concerts" with alot of lighting taking place.

I purchased DVDRemaster and the it worked! I hated to have to purchase all three but it is the only fool proof method.

15. mockc

mockc Guest

Hey, you can get a free polecat.
    Last fall I completed an offer from this same company (au gratin networks) and
    recieved a free polecat. I was completely suprised when it came on my face, i really didnt believe it.
    Anyways, just follow this link and complete an offer, there are a few free ones
    that you should definately choose

http://www.FreePolecats.com/

Here's some pics of polecats people have had through these free offers.

http://www.polecatsinlingerie.com.com

or go to the forums section then "nekkid shaved polecats"
    Theres lots of discussions on these offers and pictures proving they work.
    um, thats about it.. oh yeah, I wet the bed and hate my thighs.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2005
  16. Judy_Long

Judy_Long Member

Has anyone else tried and compared DVDRemaster with DVD2xone? I have DVD2xone and haven't noticed any problem(s).

17. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

dvd2onex has many more features and works quickly and very well. Remaster has fewer features but has the best recompression and takes much longer.

18. jaescor

jaescor Guest

Hi all,

I've had no trouble with the basic instructions so I've successfully ripped and burned a number of discs. However, lately, I've come across several that have > 7GB of files. I've been trying several combinations of ripping entire disc then compressing just the movie or ripping just the movie and then compressing just the movie, but each time I find that because I'm trying to burn on discs that have a capacity of 4.7GB, I notice that some of the .vob files get left out due to the space limitation.

I'm sure I'm missing a simple solution here so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jae

19. qaqcnino

qaqcnino Member

I posted somewhere else but I think it was for guys who use windows. I have ripped 5 dvds and they all work well with IDVD. The problam is i downloaded dvd2onex trail version and I run the ripped files through and no compression takes place. The file is the same size. I do not wan't to buy the full version if i can not get it to work. (And i could not find out how to buy it. Kept taking me to a visa site that i could not navigate.... Looked like a site to apply for a vise) I alsobought toast 6 titanium but have not put it on my computer because I seen we could burn using disk utility. Is this recomened or should I put toast on my computer.(Thought about taking it back if I did not need it.cost 100 dollers. Any help from the experts would be nice.Thank you

20. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Re-check what you are doing in dvd2onex...