1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mactheripper errors Bad sectors

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by noray7, Jan 19, 2008.

1. noray7

noray7 Member

I have an issue with MTR. I am using ver 3.0 r14 on my INTEL iMac, and trying to backup the Directors Suite copy of The Red Desert (Antonioni). no luck so far. When I try to rip the full disc I get a "Bad Sector" error, and when I try to rip the movie only I get an error "Failed to generate IFO correctly" and then a second error DVD ERROR mirror of dvd failed.

I also tried ripping with ver 2.6.6, and no luck there either..
    any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

All the 'bad sector' warnings that weren't explained in the message I've had were caused by imperfections on my disc, usually scratches. A careful cleaning or (once or twice) polishing eliminated the error. They had played fine, even on the computer. A careful look under a light revealed the problem, though.

3. noray7

noray7 Member

I think i figured it out maybe??? I actually went to a PC to try and burn it, and ont he PC it also gave bad sectors until I changed the zone of the DVD player to the Zone of the DVD... So basically it seems that it can;t rip a DVD unless the zone is set to the right zone... Can anypone confirm that this is true?

4. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Probably not.

One way to tell is to insert a disc purchased on another continent. My granddaughter's discs are from the US and Europe, so I bought an external writer. One (reader and) writer is set to region 2 & one to region 1.

If I insert a region 2 disc into the region 1 writer (a d2 LaCie), its firmware apparently calls the standard little window on MacOSX that tells me my disc is from region 2, and would I like to reset my writer to that code (leaving me with four similar changes left). (BTW, there's a freeware pgm that calls this up, but you only have to insert the wrong disc to get it.)

This is with or without Apple DVD Player's starting automatically. Next, MTR 2.6.6 duly scans the disc (pre-scan is set). It automatically set RPC=2 (region protection code) and found no RCE (region code enhancement, an ineffective way of denying children the security of their favorite movies as they travel far from home).

This is fascinating, because the d2 LaCie USB/Firewire 16x drive (with Toshiba-Samsung inside) is now copying it to my HD and changing the region code. Let's give it a moment.

OK, if I click 'Cancel' Region Code Firmware Change on the little menu, the disk ejects immediately. But if I leave the menu up, MTR can copy the disc to my HD. VLC then plays both the French & Italian tracks off the HD, but not off the disc itself. Now, by selecting 'Cancel' change in region code, the disc ejects. US discs now play immediately, showing the region code was not reset. It would appear that my external drive has a programming flaw. It appears the internal Apple drive has the same one.

Sorry I didn't solve your problem; but I discovered an interesting bug in the process.