1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me Again, Now Having Trouble w/ DVD Playback!

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mariaana, Aug 2, 2005.

1. mariaana

mariaana Member

I seem to be having a lot of trouble (judging by the questions I've posted here!) with my
    new mac mini. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

A friend of mine sent me a DVD full of music videos he had taped off the TV years ago and
    converted. The disc evidently plays on his TV, but wont on mine--only my computer. I
    thought maybe I could get around this by making a copy that would play on my TV.

I printed out the ripping/burning guide from here on the forum and followed it religiously
    to copy this DVD.

1st, I ripped the full disc with Mac the Ripper. 2nd, I compressed the whole disc using
    DVD2ONEX. 3rd, I opened Toast 6, selected the data tab, selected DVD-ROM (UDF),
    selected and named new disc (OLD_MUSIC is what I called it), added the VIDEO_TS and
    AUDIO_TS and burned it on "best" setting. (The disc I burned it onto was a Sony DVD-R.)

It did the writing and verifying thing and when it was done I was so thrilled and proud of
    myself that someone as tech stupid as me actually did something as complicated as
    copying a DVD (seriously, this would be a major accomplishment for me!).

Then I put it in my DVD player (my TV is a Magnavox, one of those TV DVD VCR all in 1
    things) and I got an error that said "Please eject disc. Playback may not be enabled on this
    disc".

I took it into the other room and tried it in my other DVD player (also a Magnavox--we
    must like that brand...) and I got the same kind of error.

Then I sat down and cried for approximately 5 minutes.

After that, I put it into my computer's disc drive, and that DVD player played it perfectly!

What am I doing wrong?? I don't understand. I'm beginning to think this whole movie/
    DVD/computer thing is just too complicated for me. However, I really wanted to watch
    those videos on the big TV instead of my janky little monitor!

Any advice anyone might think of would be greatly appreciated. (Remember, I'm truly a
    beginner, so dumb it down! Think "Blue's Clues" LOL)

Thank you so much :)

~~Maria

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  2. macman123

macman123 Regular member

try to burn on a dvd - disc, if that doesn't work then your dvd player can't play burned dvds.

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

First of all you don't need to "rip" the disc if someone just made it onto a dvd-+r. It has no encryption so it doesn't need to be "ripped."

Second. If your friend burned it, you don't need to use dvd2onex to compress it because it already fits on a dvd-r.

So basically you are doing stuff that doesn't need to be done.

The most likely reason it doesn't play on your TV is the media. All you have to do is load up toast and select "copy" and save the original disc as a disc image to your hard drive. Then eject the source disc and select "image" on the left site and select your image (not mount) that you created. (You can mount it if you want to check it by playing it in dvd player). Then hit burn.

It is almost alwasy a media issue if it plays in one player and not another. Try different brands and try to stick with -r media. Good luck.

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

One other thing. You could also just copy the disc to your hard drive in the finder. The disc must not be encrypted for this to work.

Just single click the icon and select copy item.

Then navigate to your storage destination and select paste item.

Then load up toast and select UDF and go through what you did before.

5. mariaana

mariaana Member

Hehe, never underestimate the power of newbies and their painfully stupid questions!

*crawls under a rock and dies*

Thank you, I will try that and see if it works.

Does it mean anything in particular if it plays in any computer that you try but none of the "regular" DVD players you try? Is there something different about computer DVD players that makes them more likely to play discs?

Again, thank you for your help,
    ~~Maria

6. macman123

macman123 Regular member

the player on the computer is capable of playing and reading all types of media, while dvd players may only read a couple.

7. mariaana

mariaana Member

Thank you all very much for your help. I tried playing the DVD I burned today on my mom's DVD player...maybe mine is just crappy because hers played it fine. I wish I could make it play on mine :-\

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

It's not a matter of whether it is "crappy." Some just like certain brands of media. Try a few and find one that works, then use that one.

9. macman123

macman123 Regular member

by the way they do have a very cheap dvd player out on the market. it is made by Cyber Home or Cyberhome. it is $40.00 and plays all different kinds of media and formats.