1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Making the Xbox able to Play AVi's and Games.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by xHaydenx, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Assuming system link cables are still crossover cables, then yes, that should work fine.

2. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Looking at other forums, it seems the 360 one isn't crossover, but I can hook it up to my modem router and maybe get in that way.

Hey, if I installed a dash, like Evox or Avalaunch, that would load as the default dash, right? If it did, then couldn't I just launch XBMC from there?

3. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The 360 link cable's a straight through? Aw well. If that's the case, you'd be able to do it with a router like you said.

Yup, you can definitely do that with a different dash. I was just trying to tell you how to set XBMC up as the default dash. If you just want to just keep it as an application, loading Avalaunch as the dashboard is your best bet (I prefer Avalaunch to EvoX).

4. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Cool. I might just have it as an application and launch it from Avalaunch then. If I install Avalaunch, it should make it the default dash, right?

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Install evox as the default dash and everything else as apps on E:\ or F:\.. too many releases of AID have faulty dashboard versions of unleash, avalaunch and xbmc. The last one I saw installed xbmc as a dash that booted to a black screen..useless.

The straightforward rule for xbox newbies..keep it simple..keep it safe..

(5000 xboxes repaired 21/8/2006 Yay!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  6. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Yeah, I was thinking Evox anyway. I've got XBMC on E:, so do I just put the Evox Dash on E as well? and should it be the hackecd version or just the regular one?

7. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Ok, I have a few more questions.

How do I install it as the default dash so that when I turn on the Xbox it goes there? I installed the XBMC to E: and it goes to the MS dash instead. How do I select XBMC as the load up one? DO I use that program, Xselect?

I want to just have it boot to XBMC. It works fine, but does it need to be installed on the C: or the E:, or doesnt it matter?

Another thing: I tried installing it on my friend's Xbox because he wanted it too, but we're having trouble: we can put XBMC on the E: and boot it - not as a default - but then if we take out the cd to put in a DVD or a disc, it just reverts back to the original MS dash. It does this on his XBox if he ejects a game while playing, too.

8. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Just install EvoX as the default, and then try following FuZ3's guide.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/376141

If you have any problems with it, just ask.

As for your friend's Xbox, do the saem thing with his as yours once you get your Xbox done properly.

9. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

But how exactly do I go about installing a dash as the default one? Every time I've tried it just keeps booting to the MS dash.

And my friend's is a little different. It's one of the first chips. It was out before they even had Evox and all that. His just boots to the MS dash when we eject the DVD drive, even if its during a game or at a das we booted from AID.

10. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Gah... this is why I like Slayer's Autoinstaller 2.6 so much...

All you should have to do is select these options.

Install Hacked Dashboards -> Install C Drive Dashboards (DHCP) -> Install XBMC

That should work out just fine...

As for your friend's Xbox, that's what my Xbox used to do before I installed a hacked dashboard, even though my Xbox was chipped. Just do the same thing with his, and you should be fine.

Also, you might want to update XBMC afterwards with the latest T3CH build, as I have no idea what version is installed with AID.

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The one on AID is a bit buggy..has a tendency to lock up when you hit the "my videos" button and Blank screen on the x button in films..

The best so far is on the XWizard installer.. I'm downloading the latest as i'm typing this so I'll get back to you with a report on it asap..

I'm not doing any more help..but release testing seems to be within my remit :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  12. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I got stuck on the game saves screen with the newest T3CH release... Couldn't use back or B to get out, had to access the File Manager, then hit back.

I'm going back to using the one before it. Either the user data folder wasn't compatible when I updated, or something else went wrong.

13. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

OKay, I'll try using a hacked Dashboard. So far, I've just been installing them to E: drive. Do they have to be on C:?

Oh, and I didn't install the DHCp one. What does the DHCp ones do?

14. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

By the way, the version of XBMC I installed onto the E: works well. I just have to load the AID cd, then hit boot dashboard, and select E.

Of course, I don't want these steps, but when I get it to the XBMC, it seems to run perfect. AVI's and MKV's come out looking basically like DVDs. SO it doesn't seem buggy to me, but then again, might be different because it's on the E:, I dunno.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

15. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

DHCP just means that it'll automatically set up an IP address when it connects to a network that supports it.

16. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

OKay. I'll be sure to use a DHCP copy then. So, Venom, do I have to have the dash installed on C: for it to boot as default?

17. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I'm just used to having it boot from C:\. You could probably get away with having it install onto E:\ if you like though. The idea is that you want AID to install all the initialization redirects for you, so that it boots to XBMC instead of the MS dash.

18. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Yes, I understand. I don't see how it make a difference whether it's on E: or C:. You say I want AID to install the initialization re-directs, but that's the problem: how do I make it do that?

Can I use Xselect, which comes with AID, to set XBMC as my dash? I don't want to just go ahead and try it because then the program will be stuck on the hard drive, taking up space, and I won't know how to delete it afterwards.

19. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I took a risk and just installed Xselect on the C drive; now, when I turn it on, it comes up asking me to input a non thumbstick command to open Xselect. I set XBMC as my default with X select, so when i turn it on, it just boots XBMC after a second or so anyway. It's all good now.

Thanks for all the help, you guys.

20. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

As for my friend's Xbox, we tried installing a hacked dash, but that didn't seem to work. We could bot it from the AID cd, but when we opened the DVD drive to put in something else, it just reverted back to the original MS dash.

His Xbox is one of the first one's I think. It wouldn't matter if it's old would it? and might it have something to do with his BIOS?

thanks.