1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP W/ DVD BURNING

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by AUDIGUY23, Oct 24, 2004.

1. AUDIGUY23

AUDIGUY23 Guest

I JUST MY NEW MAC POWERBOOK G4. I GOT THE SUPER DRIVE SO I COULD BURN DVDS. I TRYED TO BURN ONE OF MY DVD'S BUT IT WOULDN'T WORK... I NEED TO KNOW IF I AM MISSING SOFTWARE OR I AM JUST NOT DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. ALSO I TRYED TO ERASE THE DVD-RW DISC THAT I TRIED TO BURN BUT IT WONT ERASE.. NEED HELP!!

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Firstly please don't shout at us by using caps. Secondly I'm afraid no mac based computer will allow you to back-up copyrighted DVD's, so if you bought your Powerbook to do this Im afraid you've wasted your money. Stick with a PC.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

moved .. and no more all caps

4. AUDIGUY23

AUDIGUY23 Guest

sorry to the two people that responed to my question.. i wasn't yelling i just left the caps button on... did'n't think people would get so touchy.. my bad.. i didn't buy my mac for just dvd burning... i bought it for graphics programs and i got the dvd brun and figured i would find out what kind of dvd i could burn.. thanks for being so much help... thanks for the help

5. Spookymon

Spookymon Member

That is COMPLETELY incorrect
    On a macinstosh you can easily create a backup of a copyrighted DVD. You need something like Mac the Ripper to rip the dvd, DVD2ONEX or DVDREMASTER to shrink it, then somethign like Toast to burn it.

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Do not listen to Discmania. He is incorrect. How can you be a
    "senior member" and not know that you can easily rip/
    compress/burn dvds with many different mac programs? He
    must be a peecee lover lurking in the mac forum!

RIP WITH: MAC THE RIPPER or DVDBACKUP1.3 or OSEX
    Recompress with: Dvd2oneX or DVDRemaster
    Burn with: toast

EASY EASY EASY!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

No need to get insultive...I was only going on what a reliable mac user had told me, but obviously he was wrong. Having said that ripping and burning with a mac is obviously less easy and more expensive that with a PC and most mac computers I've seen only feature one drive. Of course I'm a PC lover since I've only ever had a PC. Additionally you will not find many mac users on this site since nearly all DVD ripping tool threads are dedicated to PC only software. If you want to convert me to mac backups I'm afraid you will have to do better than that, but thanks for the info.

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

No big deal. Didn't mean to insult. Still not too sure where you are with your opinions though. The only reason the mac would be more expensive to burn would be because the mac itself would cost more than a peecee.

Mac the ripper is KILLER and it is freeware. DVDBackup1.3 is free. Dvd2onex and toast are CHEAP.

"Additionally you will not find many mac users on this site since nearly all DVD ripping tool threads are dedicated to PC only software."
    THIS IS THE MAC FORUM for this site!!! There are some of us mac users here (I own two peecees also so I'm not exclusively mac).

"most mac computers I've seen only feature one drive."
    If you mean they only usually have one drive installed then yes. If you mean they can only burn to one brand or type of drive then no. Macs can use any burner or reader that peecees can...

So welcome to mac land here amongst all the windoze users!

MG

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Of course I meant only one drive installed e.g the new imac. Currently I use DVD shrink to rip/shrink and burn in one go with excellent results everytime plus it's free. Shame this is not also mac compatible.

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Via firewire you can hook up to 64 drives up!

DVDShrink.... Yes that would be nice. I remember when we wished dvd2one would come out on the mac and it finally did.

Then we were waiting for dvdxcopy to come out but then they bit the dust.

MG

11. pvonk

pvonk Member

Using a Mac here - with Mac the Ripper, DVD2One, and Toast. Now, about these new dual layer DVD burners - Can I rip one of my DVDs (to back up, of course), skip the compression part, and copy right to a new DVD (assuming I use a burner that handles dual layer; I hear Toast has a lite version that comes with some dual layer DVD burners, so the full version should have that capability now/soon).

Is it/will it be that easy?

12. Niltac

Niltac Member

Define cheap. Can we buy the DVD2OneX anywhere other than the original site? Whats a good price to pay for it? I know it says its $49.99 in the Euro (I have no clue what that is in US dollars) Also, is it better that DVDRemaster? Most of what I want to burn would be series (tv shows etc?) is one better that the other for episodes vs movies?

13. xaosai

xaosai Member

pvonk,

I just purchased the lacie d2 with dual layer capability. I haven't tested it yet on dual layer burning, so don't rely on me, but I have done some research.

The problem is that the media market seems to be behind the dvd drive market. Dual layer media is just coming out and is very expensive.

I'm assuming if you bought dual layer media, then it would be that easy (assuming you have a dual layer drive) since the capacity is 8.5G. But at this point, you might as well just buy another copy of the dvd. I did the math and decided to stick to the current method until prices drop.

Hope this helps.