1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with AVI to MPEG file sizes!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by candiria, Sep 20, 2004.

1. candiria

candiria Member

Hi, when i used to encode AVI files to MPEG using TMPEGenc, the MPEG file always used to be the same size as the AVI when it came out, sometimes even a few mb less!

But recently i have been converting AVI files To MPEG using TMPEGenc the MPEG files always come out much bigger that the AVI, about 200mb more in some cases! and it never used to, so what is going on?? i know MPEG files are generally bigger but they never used to be! Is there anything i can do to the setting or anything to get back to the same sized output!?

Thanks!

Matt

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

well actually, the mpeg format is meant to be a highly compressed format for video and audio. Tmpgenc is designed to encode other video formats with large file sizes into a smaller compressed mpeg file. it is simply not true that mpeg files are the same size as the original AVI, nor should they be larger. if this is the case then there is something seriously out of wack.

what can you tell us about the differences between the the original file and the TMPGEnc output file. What do see when you watch the video, is there a difference in resolution, frame rate, bitrate, etc??? have you tried to encode the file in a different program???

there is another thread addressing a problem very similar to yours so you might want to keep an eye on what is happening there as well. here's the link:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/109978