1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with DVD+R DL

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by billyclub, Nov 25, 2007.

1. billyclub

billyclub Member

I tried to backup a movie and I had to use a DVD 9 (a Double Layer disc) because of the size of the movie was like 7.19 GB. After burning when I went to play it back, the screen was scrambled with colors and a distorted image. It would come in clear at the end of "intros".

I used Sonic MyDVD Plus v7 to make the backup. Should I use another program and try it again or do I have to play around with the Sonic MyDVD Plus options to get a clear playback picture?

I could use Nero but thats expensive.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Try imgburn from www.imgburn.com BTW its free

3. billyclub

billyclub Member

Ok looks like Imgburn supports double layer discs but it says DVD-R DL. I'm not sure if my DVD+R DL discs will work with it. Is it automatically setup to burn double layer discs or do I have to play around with the settings?

Thanks!

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Imgburn is set up for both +r and -r dl Best to use +r dl and set booktype to dvd-rom for best playback on stand alone players. Goto the guides section here at AD for how to make the most of imgburn. Good luck

5. billyclub

billyclub Member

Ok I tried using Imgburn and I'm still having the same problem. I follow all the instructions The picture still comes out all scrambled with black box lines across the screen. I tried to play it back in WinDVD and the picture was a little bit better, but I dont know if its because my computer or because the DVD I'm trying to burn? The DVD I'm trying to burn is The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

the sonic program you have isn't very good use something better

freeware options

1. dvdfab decrypter to rip dvd shrink to transcode(sometimes you will need to use FixVTS or VOB Blanker to clean the file before transcoding with dvd shrink) then nero, imgburn or dvd decrypter to burn.

2. ripit4me (not being used as much it got pulled by the man but still works)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/360110

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/422740

pay programs options

1. clonedvd 2 +anydvd 21 day free trial updates for life very easy to use etc.

2. dvdfab platinum

heres a software page and guides

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Guides.html

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/clonedvd-anydvd-guide-madbob-72022/

http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183136

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

remember to use good blank media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim burning no faster then 8x on a clean machine with the most up to date firmware for you're drive/burner

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

what brand was the media you used?

using Verbarim DVD+R DL is the best

burning no faster than 4x max. or try 2.4x

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  7. billyclub

billyclub Member

I'm using Memorex DVD+R DL discs. I also noticed the sound was corrupted too, the sound would play fast then normal over and over. I think I had the write speed set to MAX. If I try burning again using a write speed of 2.4x, and still have the same problem, could it be the media?

8. billyclub

billyclub Member

Actually, I just checked the back of the Memorex DVD case. It says " The DVD+R Double Layer disc is 2.4X write speed." - I guess theres my answer? I'll have to try it again using 2.4x speed.

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah burning at max is definitely a problem lol

the memorex blanks code out as Ritek so its ok media

10. billyclub

billyclub Member

I burned my third DL disc using 2.4x speed. I didnt verify it this time cause I wanted to see the results ASAP. (This time it took 2 hrs to burn). When I went to play back, on the computer it wouldnt play at all. I put in a regular TV/DVD player and again it came out a little bit better but got stuck at the main menu, which hardly appeared this time around.

So try Verbarim DL discs next?

11. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Try using this software program to make your DVD backups with. Go to DVDFAB.com, download DVDFAB PLATINUM. 30 day free trial. This program has great tutorials. The program has several different copy modes. Try using the default SPLIT MODE and put the movie on two seperate single layer DVD's.
    Brand and model of computer? Brand and model of burner? Did you update your burner's FIRMWARE, as suggested by ZoSoIV? Does your burner support Dual Layer?

12. billyclub

billyclub Member

I check under System Information:

Brand and model of computer: HP Media Center M7160N

Brand and model of burner: It says LightScribe DVD+/- Writer/CD Writer on the drive door.
    Drive F:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name IDE-DVD DROM6216
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 1
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMIDE-DVD_DROM6216________________________HD07____\5&34F237E7&0&0.1.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/10/2004 8:00 AM)

Firmware: I don't know how to update that, unless I use HP Update(?)

Support Double Layer: I originally asked HP Tech Support if I could use a DVD+R DL on my computer to burn DVDs. Just short of a "Yes", they said to use Sonic MyDVD Plus. I think the Tech Support Rep just wanted to get rid of me LOL!

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Get the free version of DVDFab Decrypter as ZOSO said. Download the ImgBurn free program and use it to build an ISO file and then write that file with ImgBurn also and select the layer break it suggests. Get some Verbatim DL +Rs next time. Try the ones you got now with the method above. You may be just trying to reburn a corrupted file. Start from the beginning again-rip with DVD Fab. Is this a DVD or something downloaded of Hitcher's Guide? How did you get the file ripped if it was a disc?

14. billyclub

billyclub Member

No no, Hitcher's Guide is a DVD I bought and I'm trying to copy it. I have two DVD drives, one is just a DVD ROM where I put the source disc in, and the other is the DVD-Writer to put the DVD+R disc. So thats basicly what I'm trying to do. The problem is that I have to use a larger disc than the standard 4.7 GB DVD-Rs.

Yeah I started from scratch 3 times using ImgBurn, with 3 (now wasted) Memorex DVD+R DL discs. I was able to copy other smaller DVDs fine with Memorex discs. But with DVDFab Decrypter it only copies to the hard drive right? Seems like alot of hacking around just to copy a DVD thats more than 4.7 GB?

15. malynch69

malynch69 Member

Well if you don't want to use DL disks you can always use DVDshrink which will shrink it to fit on a Single Layer Disks.

Another Option is to just rip the main movie which may allow you to fit it on a single layer movie.

I highly recommend DVDFab HD Decrypter + Imgburn for backing up movies.

I don't know what movies you have copied in the past, but unless you are only copying the main movie, I've found that the vast majority of DVDs are more than 4.7GB and require being shrunk or DL disks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

To ensure the best quality, most people rip the disc to computer first ESPECIALLY if it is a DVD-9. I've never used Sonic MyDVD Plus v7, but I never needed to test that because whats been said already is the truth. Use software to put the files on your computer first (you can use free DVDFabDecrypter, or I personally use AnyDVD which strips a movie of its protections but it costs $$)
    If you want to keep the whole DVD-9 movie, use IMGBurn and burn your disc ≤ its max rated speed. Use shrink to put it on a DVD-5 if you want. Recording main movie only also frees up space to put it on a DVD-5.
    Let us know if there are more questions.

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@billyclub

First you don't have to copy that DVD to a DL disc I have it very fine on a single layer disc without issues. It was done with XCopyExpress way back. I imagine good old DVDShrink could open the movie easily. And you could get Shrink to shrink it to fit on a SL DVD+R. And it could burn it auto with Nero Burning Rom. If you don't have that decrypter or Imgburn can burn the output of Shrink either an ISO or Video_TS files. Try opening the disc in Shrink and follow the guides ZOSO gave you. If Shrink can't open it, then the DVDFab rip you got can be opened with shrink and then shrunk and burned ultimately. This in not a hard movie. Ditch the SonicMyDVDPlus because this movie will fit on a SL when compressed.

18. billyclub

billyclub Member

DVDFab Express and DVDFab Decrypter are no longer available. What if I do this, rip with Imgburn to my hard drive, shrink the file with DVD Shrink, then Imgburn again to burn the image? Will that work?

19. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Try ripping and Shrinking with just plain old Shrink! It should open the files and compress to fit on a SL DVD! If there are DRMs, then ImgBurn won't be able to rip(build) the DVD files.

Just try Shrink first, alone. If it rips and shrinks then you're home, which it should.