1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 DVD Writing fails at 4% - Reset occurred?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Pennywise, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

Im using Nero 7 and have a NEC DVDRW ND-4550A writer..

In the past ive burnt DVD's without problems and everything has been fine.
    But it has suddenly stopped working...
    It'll get to 4% then eject the disc saying "reset occurred"

Because i dont burn DVD's every day or week even, its hard for me to work out exactly what point it stopped working or what i have changed\installed which could be the problem

the media im using is TDK DVD-R 4.7GB 16x - which i assume is a good brand, ive used much cheaper discs without problems in the past

anyway here is the error log, hopefully someone will be able to spare the time to help me with this as its driving me mad :-(

by the way - ive noticed it says DMA is off, i have a feeling it should be on. How can i turn it on?

Thanks in advance

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

3. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

Excellent!

I'll give all that a go and report back

Thanks!!!

4. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

Well the firmware installed perfectly

I tried to fix the DMA but my secondary IDE was different to the first.. current transfer mode : not available?

[​IMG]

I tried to burn an avi file to dvd earlier using nero movie maker, it encoded the file but when it was time to burn it just ejected my disc and shut down movie maker. leaving me with just nero startsmart open.. no error message or anything

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

6. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

sorry i meant Nero Vision, not movie maker

I just looked at your guide and thats exactly how i have been doing it. Its only recently ive been having problems

Really frustating because it takes over an hour to encode the video and then just ejects the blank dvd when it gets to burning.

7. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

8. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

Ive run the zapper and removed Roxio but tried to burn a avi to dvd and it did it again..

Nero vision just shuts off and ejects the dvd with no warning or error report. Is this something you've heard of before?

Ive removed nero, ran registry mechanic and reinstalled nero.. so about to try it again.

I really appreciate this help, thanks!

9. killalot

killalot Active member

Is this CdRomPeripheral : Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 d347prt Port 3 ID 0 DMA: Off
    A virtual drive? If yes remove it and then you might get dma back on the NEC drive

10. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

yeah thats daemon tools, i was thinking its possible that is causing the problem somehow. I'll try to uninstall it and see if it works

btw i tried again earlier and it failed but gave me a new error report this time...

note the time gap, this is because i left it running whilst i was out and it made the second half of the report when i got home and found it had failed

11. killalot

killalot Active member

If you look at this as well I’m no expert but it says your nec dvd burner is on a raid connection if this is correct go in the bios and make it storage only not raid

CdRomPeripheral : _NEC DVD_RW ND-4550A 1.06 viaraid Port 2 ID 2 DMA: Off

12. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

hmmm that shouldnt be on raid i dont think.

im no expert either so could be talking rubbish here.. The NEC drive is plugged in via IDE

13. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

an update..

Im pretty sure the problems are being caused by Daemon Tools, i was having trouble with that program and installed a new version a couple of weeks ago.

14. killalot

killalot Active member

Even if it’s plugged in on a ide connection you still can have a raid array setup depends on the motherboard worth looking in to

15. Pennywise

Pennywise Guest

Your right im sure it is that

But how can i change it back from the raid array to standard IDE?

16. killalot

killalot Active member

If you still have the manual for the motherboard tell you in that if not go in the bios when computer is starting up hold down the delete key should be the delete key tells you at the bottom of the screen when the pc is loading or might be f1 or f8 nine times out of 10 it’s the delete key when in the bios look for the option storage devices and change to storage only not raid then save on exit

17. niall451

niall451 Member

hi pennywise had exact same problem and was tearing my hair out
    downloaded dvdflick and hey presto!!!!
    slow but worked on several previously failed files with which i had tried numerous recoding programs,nero avi2dvd santa etc

18. 56delray

56delray Regular member

19. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

@Pennywise:
    Uninstall Daemon Tools completely & anything that creates a virtual drive. (back up your settings first)
    Shutdown and reboot.
    Delete any files in this directory: c:\Windows\Prefetch (those are cached files to speed up Windows. Nothing will go wrong if you delete them)
    Clear your temporary files cache. Look in: Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Environment Variables > 'TEMP' and 'TMP' directories
    Shutdown and reboot
    That should clear all the temp garbage. Try running Nero again. btw, TDK media is absolute crap. Get yourself some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, it lasts longer & worth the extra money.

Its obvious the error occurs while writing, so its either an issue with the writer/how it communicates with Windows or the media itself. My bet is on the media.