1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Crashing - about to give up

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by lazymanc, Feb 11, 2004.

1. lazymanc

lazymanc Member

Hi, this has been bugging me since I built my system last summer, but has recently become annoying again as i've just bought a new DVDR drive. (I originally had exactly the same problem with my Plextor CDRW in the same system).

Basically, Nero just doesn't like my PC. Sometimes I can manage to get away with a burn or two before my pc resets, or sometimes it resets on trying to launch nero.

Both my cdrw and dvdr have worked fine in windows. They both can write using the inbuilt windows cd writing software. They can both write with Alcohol 120% and CDRWIN. Other than Nero, my PC is 100% stable all of the time.

My spec is:
    Win XP Pro + SP1 + all latest WU patches
    IC7-G
    P4 2.8
    1Gb Corsair XMS3500
    GF4 Ti4200
    2x SATA WD Raptors in RAID 0 on ICH5 (SATA 1 & 2) Using the intel accelerator drivers.
    1x WD Caviar 120GB on IDE2 Master
    1x NEC 2500a on IDE1 Master

I have tried the following:
    - 3 different ASPI layers (nero's own, adaptec 4.60 and 4.70)
    - Moving the CDRW/DVDR to a different IDE channel (and slave / master)
    - Updating the motherboard BIOS
    - Reinstalling Nero
    - 4 different versions of Nero 5 / 5.5 / 6.1 / 6.3
    - A full windows reformat (twice)
    - Beating my head against my desk

I'm about to give up unless someone can suggest a fix. Nero is my software of choice, so i'm frustrated that I cant use it.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You might try setting Windows IMAPI service to manual and see if that helps.

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>IMAPI CD Burning COM service set to manual. This won't completely disable the service - only render it inoperative unless you specifically open Windows burning service.

3. lazymanc

lazymanc Member

It's already set to manual.

Can anyone suggest burning software thats good? CDRWIN's interface is horrible and easy cd has zero functionality. I want something comparable to Nero :(

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member