1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to dvd burning

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by ricklin, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ricklin

ricklin Member

I just got a new external LaCie d2 burner and some Fujifilm DVD+R discs. Using an Apple with Toast 6 I tried backing up some data files onto a new dvd disc. The burn completed fine but when I insert the disc into the powerbook G4 drive it won't mount the disc, it'll automatically eject it. But I'm able to mount it from the external drive.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me figure this out.

thanks!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*moved from DVD for Newbies*

3. Londor

Londor Guest

4. ricklin

ricklin Member

I got some fujifilm DVD-Rs, burned it at 2x and my PB is still unable to read the disc.

5. ricklin

ricklin Member

I forgot to mention that I have a 15" Titanium 800.

6. Londor

Londor Guest

Is the PB drive still rejecting the DVD or does it accept the
    DVD but it is unable to read it?

Can the drive read commercial DVDs and CDs without
    problems?

Have you ever cleaned the DVD lens?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2004
  7. ricklin

ricklin Member

The drive just ejects the disc. It does however read CD-Rs and commercial DVDs and CDs.

I haven't cleaned the lens because I'm not sure how to considering the drive is a slot-loading drive.

I have also tried the disc on an older G4 dual 450 MHz processor CD/DVD-ROM machine. It keeps the disc but does not mount it to the desktop.

8. Londor

Londor Guest

Are you completely sure that the disc is a DVD-R and not a DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW?

What version of OSX are you using?

9. ricklin

ricklin Member

I'm positive the discs are DVD-Rs.

I running OS 10.3.5

10. Londor

Londor Guest

It could be a problem in your drive but it is strange that the disk does not work in your PB and PM. I guess you have tried it in other players and it is working fine.

It can be that the drives in your PB and PM do not like the Fujifilm discs. You could try another brand of DVD-R. I have had very good compatibility with 4x Ritek discs (Ridata or Traxdata).

Also check the Apple Discussions forums

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@215.J3YGaMj4xb3.4@.eebf34d

11. ricklin

ricklin Member

I really appreciate the help and will keep searching for a solution. I'll probably try the riteks

thanks again

12. Londor

Londor Guest

13. ricklin

ricklin Member

I've tried that firmware update and still doesn't work. Have you heard of PatchBurn?

14. Londor

Londor Guest

Yes. It is used to make unsupported drives by the OS burn with the i applications and the finder. It is not going to help with your Combo drive but you may want it for your external drive. You can get it here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/patchburn2_feedback.html#storytop

Why do not you try to re-install the OS (make an erase and install) and use the combo update to go from 10.3 to 10.3.5? Sometimes it helps to correct a problem in case some files got corrupted.

Also you can try to clean the lens. You need a Laser Lens Cleaner for DVD Players and DVD-ROM that is basically a cleansing disk that you pop in and cleans the lens.

If still does not work you can try this firmware update. http://superdrive.cynikal.net/ .Just make sure you use the one for your drive.

And if still does not work I guess it is time to start thinking of taking it for repair but before doing so just try another brand of DVD-R.

Let me know if you get it working. Good luck.

15. RED_BULL

RED_BULL Guest

he Ricklin,do you have a lacie dual layer burner or a normal one,because im going to buy a dual layer from lacie.And if there are any problems with the burner i would like to know.

16. ricklin

ricklin Member

My LaCie burner is a dual layer burner. At this point I'm not so sure if it's the burner that's the issue.

17. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

It is most likely the media you are using. I have some dvd-r movies or data discs that just get ejected by my powerbook but work fine in other drives/computers... You shouldn't need to send it in for repair.

MG

18. ricklin

ricklin Member

Thanks for everyones help. I finally got it working. I think it was the firmware that did it.