1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Mac and need help pleaseBacking Up DVD's & Covert to Ipod

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by joefb, Jan 22, 2008.

1. joefb

joefb Guest

I'm using a 1.4 GhzPower PC G4, Mac the ripper, Toast 7 Titanium, LaCie dvd burner
    I have 2 hard drives:
    The main one is 20gig and the 2nd is 80gig (which is where I am putting the temp file of the rip

Ripping the dvd is working great but when I bring it into Toast near the end of the session these messages come up:

there is not enough temporary disk space for compression, please delete unused files or select a different disk in the preferences

Your start-up disk is almost full-you need to make more space available on your start up disk by deleting files

An error has occured recompressing the video

What does this mean? What do I do to fix it?...etc...

What is the best way to convert my movies to Ipod format?

Please help and thank you so much!!!!!!!

2. david456

david456 Regular member

The error message means that the hard drive inside your G4 Mac (20 GB) is almost filled to capacity. You are making a wise decision by placing the 4-7 GB VIDEO_TS folder that MacTheRipper produces on your external (80 GB) hard drive. However, when you attempt to compress the VIDEO_TS folder with Toast, it appears that Toast is using space on your internal (20 GB) hard drive to process the compression. You can clear space on your internal (20 GB) hard drive to allow Toast more space to compress. Remember that you'll have to clear out at least 8 GB from your 20 GB hard drive to be safe since a VIDEO_TS folder can approach ~7.5 GB. Or, you can go into Toast Preferences -> Converted Items and change the "Converted Items Folder location" to somewhere on your external (80 GB) hard drive. (Other applications, such as VisualHub or HandBrake - see below - also can use space on your external hard drive to process the compression/conversion.)

The best way to convert movies to your iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, etc. is:

1. Rip the movie with MacTheRipper.

2. Convert the VIDEO_TS folder to the appropriate format with VisualHub.

If you want a free alternative, just rip the movie to the appropriate format with HandBrake.

3. joefb

joefb Guest

David,

Thank you so much!!!!!
    I changed the Pref's in toast and it worked great. It captured everything.
    Is there a "best place" to put the Converted items folder location in the 80 gig HD ?

As far as the other software I'm reading alot that Handbrake takes a long time to convert to IPOD format, Have you had any experience with Cucusoft??? or any others...

Thanks again David and be blessed!

4. david456

david456 Regular member

I haven't heard of Cucusoft. The amount of time it takes HandBrake, VisualHub, etc. to convert to iPod format will depend on your system: how fast is your processor, the amount of installed RAM, etc.

There is no preferred place for Toast's Converted Items Folder on your external hard drive. It's wise to use a fast and stable connection to transfer large files to an external hard drive, so if you have a Firewire connection, use it. I'm glad I could be of some help. Enjoy your movies.