1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to MacTheRipper and having problems. Help?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Bookem123, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Bookem123

Bookem123 Member

Hello. I have just downloaded MacTheRipper v.2.6.6 so I could make a backup copy of a promotional DVD I just received. I left all the settings to default and pressed the "GO" button. It seemed to download it just fine to my hard drive taking only 3 and a half minutes. Then I inserted a DVD-R disk into my drive, named it, and pushed the burn button. (all the while using the internal program provided by Apple for burning disks) I then tried to play it back on my Mac (G5, Dual 2 GB, OSX 10.3.9) and it said "Not Permitted". Then I tried to play it on my DVD player connected to my TV and it would not read the disk. Can somebody help me figure out what I'm doing wrong before I waist too many disks? Thanks in advance.

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i'm guessing u're using disk utility to burn. which it doesnt work for dvd rom (udf). which is the only way it will play correctly. what you need to do.. is get dvd imager and make the image and then burn it with disk utility. you can save yourself by making the image if you get toast 7. if the dvd is small enough then you should not need compression. check to see what the size is on your VIDEO_TS folder?

you can get toast 7 and it will automatically compress it for you.

also check with apple dvd player if the dvd will play

do this before you burn.

run dvd player-->apple+o-->find the VIDEO_TS folder-->press play.

and what media are using? what brand of dvds.

post ur results

3. Bookem123

Bookem123 Member

I just tried playing the VIDEO_TS folder and it worked fine in the dvd player. I will now try to use disk imager to see if that works. The file size is definately small enough to fit n a dvd (1.61 gb). I am using Sony dvd-r disks.

Thanks for the quick response!

After being in other forums, I wasn't expecting a response until tomorrow.

I am impressed and grateful.

4. Bookem123

Bookem123 Member

Nope, that didn't work for my dvd player attatched to my tv, but it did work on my computer if I opened dvd player first and then opened it to play. Here's what I did:

Used MacTheRipper to extract the disk contents
    Dragged the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD imager icon
    Selected "VIDEO_TS Folder mode"
    Clicked "Create Image"
    Named it "TOP_TEN_MOMENTS"
    Saved it to my hard drive (not in the same folder as before)
    Then dragged it to the blank DVD that I inserted
    Pressed the burn button

Maybe I'll just have to fork out a hundred bucks for Toast. I'd hate to do that though if I don't really plan on copying too many dvd's. Any other suggestions?

5. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

you may not have to..

whats the model number of your dvd burner? it may just be finicky about the media.

what media are you using? and you should be using (dvd-r) the (+) are more of a pain.

i always trust verbatim.

6. Bookem123

Bookem123 Member

My dvd burner is an internal PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D. It's the one that came with the computer. Superdrive. I am using Sony DVD - R disks (not the plus ones). I'm not getting any errors during the burning time.

The file that I get from the DVD Imager is a .img file. The icon looks like a corner folded page with a hard drive in the middle of it. That's what I'm burning to the dvd-r. Is this correct?

7. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

rename .img to .iso

and i'm sorry.. what's the dvd player model.. the stand alone.. there may be a specific media they prefer.

8. Bookem123

Bookem123 Member

Panasonic DVD-F65 (5 disc dvd player)

9. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

ok.. did some research on that one.. here's what price grabber has on it..

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=814598

on the bottom of that page there's a link to the panasonic site... i would post the link but its too dang long... but on the bottom of that page they do have footnotes.. (of course).. that basically state that it may not work with all brands of media..

here's the footnote from the panasonic site:

here's what the panasonic site has to say about media read...

so.. it may come down to your media.. what brand of media are you using? you may want to get a small pack of like 3-5 dvds.. maybe some dDVD-rWs.. but then i dont see on this list that it would read them.

it may just come down to media issue... we'll see what we can figure out...

and just by the way.. you thanked me for the fast reply.. no worries.. i'm usually on here.. i noticed the other day.. i'm like the last one that's posted in all the threads.. there's a few i dont know what to suggest or do.. but when i find where i can help.. why not.

10. ronnyboy

ronnyboy Guest

11. Bookem123

Bookem123 Member

Thanks for doing all of that research. I think I'll just go buy Toast if I plan to do more of this because I took the ripped file to a friends computer today and burned it using Toast 5.1.2 (I know, old version). When I got home it worked just fine on my DVD player on my TV. So I guess the Sony DVD-Rs work. I'll let you know if I come up with any other solutions.

Thanks to you too ronnyboy.

Much appreciated!

12. sophie12

sophie12 Member

I just tried to run a code 2 DVD with MacTheRipper on my PowerBook and it didn't recognize any DVD in the drive. Am I doing something wrong?

13. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

what region code is the pb on? you can only change those on the macs i believe 5 times before it locks into one..

did you try playing it in the dvd player first for a bit and then run MTR?

i know that sometimes helps me..

14. sophie12

sophie12 Member

The PowerBook's on Region 1...I haven't changed the code yet or anything. When I tried to play a Region 2 DVD without MTR, it told me that I had to change the region code first, which I don't want to do if I can avoid it. Now that I installed MTR, neither that nor the DVD player will recognize that there's any DVD in the drive at all - it doesn't tell me to change the code or anything, but it when I try to play a DVD it tells me that there's no disc.

15. sophie12

sophie12 Member

Well, it works now! Thanks for your help! :)

16. soju

soju Member

I saw this somewhere but cannot find it now......after I use Mac the Ripper, I get a folder on my desktop that contains the Audio and Video_TS files.

How can I check the Audio/Video_TS files on the DVD player BEFORE I complete a copy/burn to a DVD process using Popcorn?

Much thanks for help with this.

17. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member