1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this hobby!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PahChay, May 3, 2004.

1. PahChay

PahChay Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group and have found that browsing through the posts has been quite useful! a special thanks to Jim_Dandy, Daba, and Scubapete for all of their useful pearls.

I'm not out to copy the entire blockbuster video collection for my private library (Ironically, providing both blockbuster and the movie studios thousands of dollars in sales and rentals) If I see a movie title that I want... I buy it.

The kids can be a little rough on the DVD's though, my daughter is getting to the age where she can put in a DVD herself. I'd like to give her a little CD wallet of her own and say "Go nuts, kid!" without having to worry about scratches.

I would consider myself a DVD hobbyist. I want to have some fun seeing what I can do with the DVD's that I own. I have small children, and I'm protective about what they watch, it would be nice to edit some of their disney DVDs so as not to barrage them with scenes and previews of movies that aren't appropriate for the younger viewers, not to mention the endless commercials for di$neyland. I'd also like to edit out key scenes within a movie that I don't want my kids to see (like in peter pan when the pirates are shooting at each other, or in monsters inc. Where one of the guys flushes a bunch of toys down the toilet (Gave my daughter nightmartes.. thanks pixar)

I have about 70-80 DVDs that I keep nicely in an 8x10 cd wallet (Those bulky DVD boxes are NOT a part of my Retro-modern Decor :) ) I'd like to create a DVD containing all of the theatrical trailers for some or all of the dvd's that I have so I can just let it play at random and when I see one that interests me, I can play it. (Looking at the title or cover doesn't always do it for me)

I downloaded DVD Shrink 3.1.7.6 as well as DVD decrypter 3.2.2.0 and have yet to successfully back up a single movie. Even after following the advice on this board.
    I tried backing up the *.IFO file in DVD shrink, but it experiences an "Encryption error" and stops. It will still leave an *.IFO file (3.6 Gig size) in my temporary directory, but DVD decrypter can't do anything with the file (Must be a partial file or something).

The first thing I'm trying to do is create a movie DVD with no menus or extras.
    I should be able to fit a standard length movie onto a DVD-R with no compression, right?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

2. MidnightD

MidnightD Member

Try saving them as ISO files instead of IFO files. I have backed up 24 of my own movies so far, and have only made 2 coasters, and those 2 were my own fault. The people here are really helpful. I read for two weeks straight before I tried my 1st backup...lol. You should be able to fit one regular length movie onto one DVD. I use both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Since the price was right, I couldn't say no.

If you need anymore help, don't be afraid to ask.

Kat

3. daba

daba Guest

Hi PahChay,

Are you talking of an IFO or ISO file ? They are very different.

If you experience encryption errors with Shrink, then try to rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter (in File mode) and then run Shrink on the files ripped by Decrypter.

Don't think a DVD-R can contain a standard length movie with no compression. I just made a backup of "Intolerable cruelty". It's hardly 1:35 long. I kept 2 languages only. No menu, no extra. But still a compression ratio of 83 %.

Even some Disney's need compression. Pinocchio for instance (2 languages, no menu, no extra: 93 %).

Have a look at those guides for re-authoring:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_basic.php
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_intermediate.php
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

Regarding movie editing, have a look at my last post in this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/82863

Cheers,

Daba

4. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

I have had a few minor problems with DVD Shrink on a few DVD's. After the error did you try to Back Up again? B/c I know I have receive some error and then tried again & it worked just fine. You may want to give that a shot. Also what [bold]daba[/bold] recommended would work as well.

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I've seen that a couple of ppl are reporting this problem with DVD Decrypter 3.2.2.0 , so imagine it to be a bug that will be ironed out in a much awaited update/fix

DVD Decrypter homesite doesnt seem to be showing that they have version 3.2.1.0 available for d/l still , so do a google seach for it & try installing that instead.
    If you cannot find it , then give me a PM !!