1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in trouble

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by osolost, May 8, 2004.

1. osolost

osolost Member

I'm sure my problem is not unique but I'm clueless on where to go. I bought DVD XCopy Gold back in January and just now bought a burner. I have an external Lite-On 851sx. My computer is a 1.2ghz Celeron Compaq with 256 mb ram. Ive tried to back up a few DVD's using both X copy and X Copy Xpress. It's taking me over 2 hours to read the DVD and another 1.5 hours to burn it. Is this normal. I've already disabled Norton AV, diabled the drag and drop portion of Roxio, verified I'm on DMA vs PIO and have downloaded the firmware from the Lite-on website. I'm at wits end and my wife is laughing at me (good natured fun of course). CAn anyone please point me in the right direction. My current thought is to head back to the store with the burner and give up.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Don't do that - get rid on DVD XCopy that is your problem not the burner.

If you had checked the beginning of this forum you would have seen, at the very top of the page the answers to your dilemma.

Here is the link to that thread -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/79846

My suggestion to you is to put this in your “Favorites”. The answer to the majority of your future questions is in these 7 or so pages too.

What you want is at the bottom of the first page. A pretty good friend of mine wrote it. It will start you out from scratch and you’ll have a DVD backup in your hand within the hour :D)

Welcome to our little Club, let me know how you made out -

Pete

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Are you running your external burner on a USB1.1 or USB2 port?

With those long times it sounds like you may be running on USB 1.1 which has insufficient transfer speeds to keep your burner happy.

You can check whether you have USB2 like this:

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager, then scroll down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and expand it. USB2 controllers will be listed as "enhanced". If none are enhanced, you may consider picking up a cheap USB2 PCI card to run your burner.

Hope this helps :)

4. colw

colw Active member

Best combination of software is:

DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter

Guides and downloads availabe this site.

Also advisabe is Nero.

Roxio software tends to be problematic and conflicts with many programs.

5. osolost

osolost Member

Thanks for all the responses and help. I finally abandoned the XCopy stuff and downloaded both Shrink and Decrypter as well as went out and bought a USB 2.0 card and installed it because I was indeed using a 1.1 port. But, it's still taking me over an hour to read a DVD. I followed (I think) the advice in a thread to the letter but I'm still a bit lost. I'm going to start reading through everything again unless someone knows off the top of thier head what I should do.

6. colw

colw Active member

osolost

My current system is at the lower end of desired spectrum
    PIII - 800
    256 RAM

Read speeds can vary depending on movie - generally between 15 and 55 minutes - DVD9 tend to take longer.

Burn time using Nero approx 14-15 minutes.

Even with this combination I have had no probs with backups - just a bit of patience required

7. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You processor and memory are on the lower end for getting good speed but should work OK. Adding more memory is a cheap and easy way to get some speed improvement.
    That sounds like that has improved your ripping speed some and it will definitely improve your burning speed.
    Most burners using manufacturer firmware are limited to 2X ripping speed. If you are ripping a 2 hour movie from a DVD9 disc it would not be unusual for it to take 1 hour to rip. Unless you can find some third party firmware for your burner that disables that 2X ripping speed, that is what you will get. I don't know what other firmware is available for your burner but you can check these sites.
    http://dhc014.rpc1.org/index.htm
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

8. osolost

osolost Member

Thanks for the speedly responses. You guys have been a big help. I'm now going to be upgrading the memory and will learn to live with the extneded time until doing so. I'm just happy I can now buy a DVD for the kids and won't care when they damage the back up I make for them. I bet I bought my daughter the Lion King three times already because her brother keeps ruining it.
    You guys are Great.

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You could also get a USB external DVD-ROM or IDE internal DVD-ROM drive that would allow you to do the ripping portion of copying a DVD much faster. Some may rip at 12X or 16X speeds. I don't know which ones, but I am sure others on this forum know which are good fast DVD-ROM drives for ripping, and could recommend some.

10. grogey

grogey Guest

Might I add my 2 bits worth please gentlemen?

Methinks your processing time is way too slow - this is my system:
    [​IMG]

Even before I upgraded to 512mg Ram things didn't take me that long.

Seriously though colw had the right idea
    Try uninstalling it and download DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink - follow the guides and you'll be amazed!!
    Here is an index http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/84197 to one of the most informative threads you can read - please do take the time to read what is relevant to you......there are no shortcuts - research is a must. You'll find just about all the information you are going to need to get going in this one thread.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIVE A GOOD LIFE
    Aim for Charm not Perfection
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2004
  11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi osolost,

Here's a link to some wonderful tools and tips for Lite-On burners you may find useful. There are modified firmwares available that will allow your burner to rip faster as Veblin perviously stated.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=9f2071269e1b0791ff245f8b1c504b71&threadid=83441

The Lite On 166S is a great low-cost DVD-ROM that you could use to replace your existing internal optical drive. It will save wear and tear on your burner, mine gives me up to 14X read speeds. Good stuff!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  12. movie_777

movie_777 Member

hello osolost,

Seeing that your system is in the low end, I assume that your hard drive may be on the low end so it may be running on the lower end of the Ultra DMA spec. This could be at a transfer of 16MB/s vs a newer hard drive which would run at Ultra DMA5 with a transfer rate of 100MB/s.

Check to see which DMA mode your hard drive and DVD-RW is running (DMA 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm just curious.

Hope this helps.