1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie status posting to DVD-R for advance users

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Noqoilpi, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

This has probably been suggested before but do 99% of Newbie's have advanced questions. They have no idea that there is a search. They think if they ask their question in the Newbie forum a Newbie will answer or nobody will know the answer. Why bother to have an advance forum at all.

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey Noqoilpi,

That's because people don't read what they actually need to do. And they don't want to be bothered about looking for the answer and assume people think there question is like one-in-a-million.

You may want to vent on this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/179389

See ya in the forums!

;)

3. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

I was just reading that thread. I suggested the search button to a Spanglish post earlier today. He thanked me a lot for the suggestion. He said I made his life much easier.
    I did the movie tonight and really do not see what the fuss is about.
    Of course I have never had a problem since buying DVD X Copy. Now you say DVD X Copy are you nuts. Well trying to make it work I found myself here many months ago. That solved all my problems. Three hundred movies later and no coasters.
    A kick ass PC helps a bunch of course. ;-) lol

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey, I hear that. I have never had a problem backing up a movie, about all 300 of them. Plus, I use a laptop, nothing fancy, and on TOP of that, hehe, I use Memorex media and have great success rate with them.

;)

5. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

I bought Memorex before I knew better. I used 4x +R which have a better success rate for Memorex. Yes I know about you and Memorex.
    Right now I am using OPTODISC(R4) so I should not talk any sh*t.

Great here is a reward for sticking my nose into Spanglish. PMs

Newbies they may never catch on. As bbmayo said you should be 10% smarter than the machine or dont bother.

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Yeah, the whole Memorex thing got old after awhile. So I don't post much in those threads anymore. I already made my mark, and everyone respects me for being like the only one who pretty much likes them. But, eh, not important anymore.

Nope...they sure won't! Sometimes, you have to "subtly" push them in the right direction. LMAO!!!

But anyways, no, they will never learn, however, we were all newbies once.

;P

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Another one who has seen the light!!!!

[bold]yeah right, who are you kidding[/bold]

Only joking venom

As to the initial post some people dont know where to place there post in the right forum, read the rules, use the search functions etc as its just so easy not to do it,but we persist and still try to help them anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2005
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Search what? A newbie sometimes does not know even what to enter into the Search. "DVD won't werk with the srinker"....

Or it sure seems like an advanced problem when he/she gets a failed burn and he takes a look at a Nero log file.

Newbies are our main source of easy questions and lots of them! Our fun is getting them pointed in the right direction and making Senior Members out of 'em.

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

@andmerr,

LOL!!! Hey dude! I see you found me, yet again! ;P

Yeah, I am glad that he is getting better dvd's with his new media, so that's cool! ;)

Yup, I can agree with that...only...for some reason...if they LOOK really close they can see those couple little sentences that show the description of the forum. I mean, I know not everyone thinks the same, but good lord man, can't be that hard.

Yeah, I am starting to push the search method on new users now more than ever. I mean, if they do this, they will be surprised out what they find, who knows, they may even find something else that is cool and decide to give that a try. I know when I first started burning, I was looking around the ps2/xbox section wondering how they did it, and I have read so much info, that I won't even have to ask the question, because the answers are right there in the stickys and the threads.

;P

@fasfrank

You know what is so funny frank:

I wonder how they found this site in the first place. Not like this is promoted on the tv or anything. So, it would seem to me, that they would have to have been doing SOME type of search in order to find it. And so the plot thickens....LMAO!!!

Yup...everything seems like an advanced problem when you first get it. Hell, I remember this from along time ago:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/149221

Before I did that, I did a search for that movie.

Yeah, I can agree with that, I have seen that I don't post threads as much because any question that I have has mostly been asked countless times, or I do the research myself. But yeah, I think as the more you are here, you tend to search more than post a question.

;P

BTW...not sure if you or andmerr have seen the thread, but click on the last link under my sig.

Later!

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Okay, I just pointed a "newbie" in the right direction. They posted on the Advanced forum because they stated the Spangish threads were closed.

11. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Nice call arniebear!

I have now devoted all my time to sending people with general questions to either AfterDawn's search forum or Google.com.

So, needless to say...this has taken up all my time!

LMAO!!!

Thanks for all of you helping out!

;P

BTW...if anyone gets upset with a repeatitive question, just go ahead and give that person the last link in my sig! That will get their attention...or you can tell them to search for that thread!

LOL!!!

;)

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Ah, we shall all try and spread the word, hope that shield is protecting you out the in cyberspace.

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

venomX05,
    I could not agree more about using search functions available to everyone. If a question comes up that I want to give an answer to, many times I just pop up Google, find the answer and make the reply. There is no reason to remember the function and details of every single program and procedure if you know where to find the instructions. Many times Google leads right back to AD.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  14. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Yeah, it is hard when you try to tell someone that there is a search function on aD and then someone comes along and just hands them the answer. With the exception of the MOD's. I guess this just goes to show that some people need to be babysat along the way and there are those that want to babysit them.

BTW...a little story just appeared on the Search Thread that I did, if you want to read it, just click the last link on my sig!

;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  15. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Just like the Report an offensive post link, you should so many post to able to post in the Advanced forum.

16. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Maybe its time to clean out the garbage in the posts. Especially when someone writes in to remove all labels immediately and my disk won't play after a year. Come now discs are sealed and non-magnetic and do not degenerate digital files. It is all in the burn process. Most importantly most of the folks here do not know what a contiguous file really is and how it affects data transfer to the burners.

17. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

18. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ BTFSB:

WTF? are you talking about, you know this is

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2005
  19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think that is the 2nd time i've seen when BTFSB has pulled a stupid!!!

20. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

as much as I hate it, every now and then a newbie does post a question that belongs in DVD-R for advanced.

Keep in mind newbies aren't the only ones who start a thread that doesn't belong in DVD-R advanced :)