1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No audio after Mac The Ripper

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Paddy77, May 22, 2004.

1. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

After reading previous posts I have found similiar problems but the solutions must have been in private.

After using Mac The Ripper, (movie is Master and Commander if that makes a difference), when I test the VIDEO_TS folder by opening with DVD Player the video quality is great but there is no sound in movie playback. There is sound, however, for the menu screen, but this seems to be the only place with sound.

Not that it matters, but I did NOT test the VIDEO_TS folder prior to processing with DVD2OneX, so I burned a DVD-r also with no audio. Acts exactly the same way as just playing the original folder.

It was suggested in another post that I needed select one of the other audio tracks, but this did not help. No sound on English 1 or 2, French 1, or Spanish 1. I didn't expect anything on French or Spanish because I only picked the 2 English audio tracks before ripping with MTR. I read in another post that MTR only works on some movies, on others you need to use DVDBackup. I have a copy I downloaded, but I have not tried it since there was a post in March with the EXACT same problem using DVDBackup. (That was the one where the solution seemed to be in private.)

The video is great on the standalone player, and DVD Player. The DVD I burned acts the same both places. Sorry for the long post but I figured the more information the better.

~Slainte~

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Ok here we go.

The best thing you can do is always rip the whole DVD and use DVD2OneX to get rid of the unwanted stuff.

Said that I have to say that I have never used MTR. I prefer to use:

1-DVDBackup. You have to let DVDPlayer run for a few seconds before quitting it and drag the DVD image into the DVDBackup window.

2-0sex (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/alternative_platforms/mac_software/osex.cfm). In the Fmt. drop down menu you have to choose DVD Folders and I always select in the OPTS (options) menu P4 (VOBU) as the key refresh rate.

3-In the unlikely event of those two failing to rip the movie I use Hades. Never fails but it is slower than the others.

Check the result with DVDPlayer to make sure it has been correctly ripped (I have never had sound problems). At this point the Video quality is always great because it has not been compressed yet.

Now I use DVD2OneX to remove what I do not want. Normally I choose to copy the movie only at a variable ratio to get the best possible quality. In the Audio department I only choose the AC3 and/or DTS5 options of your chosen language. If you also have a 2ch option for your language that is the director or someone else comments. In the subtitles dept. choose the ones for your language because sometimes the film contains forced subtitles if another language is spoken.

In very long movies or compilation DVDs the quality of the DVD2OneX compression may not be as good as you wanted. For these cases you can use DVDRemaster for outstanding results though it is very slow (it willl take around 12 hours in your machine to re-encode the DVD at the best quality) and it does not give you as many options to remove unwanted stuff but you can walk around the latter by using first DVD2OneX and setting the output size to 9999 MB (it will remove things but it will leave untouch the rest).

3. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

Thanks again Londor!!!

DVDBackup seemed to do the trick. I'm sure my problem with MTR was user error, but I've now ripped 4 discs with total success each time. I don't klnow if it's necessary, but i am running the VIDEO_TS folder both after ripping and after compression, just to be safe.

As a reference for others, so far i am 2 for 3 on Sony DVD-R's and 2 for 2 on TDK, both 1x-4x discs. The bad Sony burned thru, then ejected as bad about a minute into the verify process.

Thanks for the information about the other programs, I'll tuck that away for another day.

~Slainte~

4. Londor

Londor Guest

So far I have had 100% success using Ritek. You can get them fairly cheap online (around £10 for 25 in the UK). Where do you llive?

5. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

In the US (Florida) and thought I found the Ritek discs locally, but they were out. I have found them cheal online but did not want to order them until I knew i could do this.

I can order them now, thanks to you Londor!!!!! Thanks again

~Slainte~

6. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

In the US (Florida) and thought I found the Ritek discs locally, but they were out. I have found them cheal online but did not want to order them until I knew i could do this.

I can order them now, thanks to you Londor!!!!! Thanks again

~Slainte~

7. Londor

Londor Guest

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2004
  8. Londor

Londor Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2004
  9. Londor

Londor Guest

10. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

Thanks Londor. That's listed as a 4x disc, should that work OK in my 1x Superdrive? I've found a link and information for a firmware upgrade that I may download, but that will only take it up to 2x.

~Slainte~

11. Londor

Londor Guest

12. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

Yes, I'm aware of the risks. I've actually visited a number of more current sites than that one and most seem to report good results. I downloaded the update about a week ago....have not done it yet.

Thanks for the great information....I was unsure about using the 4x disk due to one of your earlier recommnedations to stick with media rated for my drive only.

~Slainte~

13. Londor

Londor Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2004
  14. Londor

Londor Guest

15. Londor

Londor Guest

_

16. Londor

Londor Guest

PIONEER DVR-103 and DVR-104 superdrives needed a firmware upgrade (provided by Apple) to make them compatible with the new (back then) 4x media though they will only write to it at 1x. If you had a DVR-104 which was capable of burning at 2x you were better off sticking to 2x media.

Any other superdrive was already compatible with the new faster media and there is no mention anywhere that the use of it would make them burn at just 1x.

PS: According to the manufacturer your superdrive is a 2x but Apple decided to reduce its burning speed.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/multi/index.html

17. Paddy77

Paddy77 Member

One of my many concerns.
    This came from superdrive.cynikal.net:

Q: Why would Apple sell powerbooks with crippled drives?

A: There are a number of possible reasons. Apple has never issued a statement so we can only speculate:

They don't want it taking away sales from their Desktop models

Maybe there are plans to release an upgrade later on (which I highly doubt this far along)

They may want future powerbooks to have an advantage by not being crippled? Also, possibly they want the freedom to be able to change suppliers of the drives, which may not have the same capabilities.

Maybe it's because it shortens battery life more because more energy is needed to burn at a faster speed

More heat is generated when the drive writes media at faster speed, maybe the amount of heat being generated is more than their (probably liberal) tolerances?

Lately there seems to be a concensus that the extra heat is why it is crippled. Portables have a lot of electronics packed tightly together, and heat can become an issue. Burning at 1x DVDR or 8X CDR may be as hot as Apple wanted the powerbooks to get in testing. When you use your powerbook at 2X/16X and put it on your bed or on a pillow, anything that cuts off air circulation or blocks your vents, it may over heat. Also, if you are in a warm environment, the ambient air temperature may be too high to sufficiently cool it properly. This is especially true if it's already very hot from high CPU/hard drive usage.

One person email me and told me that 3 hours of continuous burning on a 12" may overheat the components. I am looking for a source of this information to confirm it.

<- back to Question List

Q: So by using this will I melt my Powerbook?

A: Most likely not if you use some common sense:

Consider using your powerbook on a table or maybe on your lap, as long as there is air flow around it.

Don't burn at higher speeds if you are in a warm environment and/or your powerbook is already warmer than usual

Try not to multi-task too much while burning at higher speeds so as not to cause more heat from extra CPU/hard drive usage

Take a break between burning sessions to let your system/drive cool off

The time is not that big a deal......I'm learning to deal with it. I'm leaning toward not upgrading until I can get some more reliable information. But it's nice to know it's out there. The immenseness of the combined knowledge on the net never ceases to amaze me.

~Slainte~